This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 23 - Pages: 2 [ Previous | 1 2 ] - Last Post: 27-Nov-2014 08:26 Last Post By: karlmistelberger
lostinqueens

Re: Rotated mov Files Become Corrupt in Windows 7, x64
Posted: 21-Nov-2014 23:23   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Were you running jAlbum 12.2.4 with Turtle 5.2.5 on a Windows 7 x64 machine?
jGromit

Posted: 21-Nov-2014 23:35   in response to: lostinqueens in response to: lostinqueens

Don't pay too much attention to Karl, lostinqueens. He's running Linux, and he's not testing in the common Windows or OSX browsers or other media players, and that's where this failure is showing up.

The converted video fails in:

• IE11
  • FF in Windows
  • Windows Media Player
  • QuickTime

It works in:

• Safari
  • Chrome in Windows
  • Chrome in OSX
  • FF in OSX (Flash mode)

A "solution" that fails in half of your visitors' browsers isn't good enough.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 22-Nov-2014 08:16   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Don't pay too much attention to Karl, lostinqueens. He's running Linux, and he's not testing in the common Windows or OSX browsers or other media players, and that's where this failure is showing up.

The only thing I do is point and click. Everything works within jAlbum regarding displaying media. I love jAlbum. :-)

• IE11
  • FF in Windows
  • Windows Media Player
  • QuickTime

To say I'm puzzled would be an understatement

Microsoft Code Monkeys are still learning: https://www.google.de/search?q=windows+7+internet+explorer+11+mp4 You really need not be puzzled. ;-)
jGromit

Posted: 22-Nov-2014 08:18   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

karlmistelberger wrote:
Microsoft Code Monkeys are still learning: https://www.google.de/search?q=windows+7+internet+explorer+11+mp4 You really need not be puzzled. ;-)

Not relevant to this discussion. These rotated videos fail even with a simple <video> tag embed in IE11 and Firefox on Windows.

Please stop posting advice that doesn't actually pertain to the problem we're discussing.

And I'll ask this question again: Do you think we're all idiots?
karlmistelberger

Posted: 22-Nov-2014 11:19   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
  • IE11
  • FF in Windows
  • Windows Media Player
  • QuickTime
A "solution" that fails in half of your visitors' browsers isn't good enough.

I am not sure, whether your argument is valid. The H.264 Video Decoder has some serious limitations: "In Windows 7, the maximum supported resolution is 1920 × 1088 pixels for both software and DXVA decoding." see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd797815%28v=vs.85%29.aspx By rotating Original.mp4 size changes from 1280x720 to 720x1280 which is beyond the maximum of 1088.
jGromit

Posted: 22-Nov-2014 14:43   in response to: lostinqueens in response to: lostinqueens

Here's the solution to the problem, without having to use any external encoder or any preprocessing. Go to Album > Settings > Videos > Resolution, and choose anything other than Original video. Choosing 1080p (Full HD), for example, works in all browsers. The rotate works properly, and the video plays with all player scripts - Turtle uses jPlayer, Matrix uses JW Player, and Minimal uses a simple <video> tag.

Note that if this video were also an anamorphic, jAlbum would still be fooled about its dimensions, and the video frame would be in the wrong aspect ratio. That's a separate problem.
lostinqueens

Posted: 24-Nov-2014 04:15   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

This worked perfectly! Thank you!

Do you know of a way to not have jAlbum update the "Modified Date" property on the file when the video is rotated? By changing this date, the videos are no longer chronologically in order.

This is a minor quibble. Overall, I am very happy to have such a simple solution.

Thank you again!
karlmistelberger

Answering open questions
Posted: 24-Nov-2014 08:36   in response to: lostinqueens in response to: lostinqueens

lostinqueens wrote:
Were you running jAlbum 12.2.4 with Turtle 5.2.5 on a Windows 7 x64 machine?

No. However I am a physicist. Physicists are standing on the shoulders of giants. Thus they are seeing a little further than the average windows user. Specifically I need not instantiate Windows 7 on my machine to figure out what your problem is. ;-)

jGromit wrote:
And I'll ask this question again: Do you think we're all idiots?

I am not a medical doctor. Beware of my conclusions. From the above discussion I am diagnosing a very mild form of deficiency related to problem solving: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_disability#Signs_and_symptoms You don't need to worry. ;-)
karlmistelberger

Posted: 27-Nov-2014 08:26   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Note that if this video were also an anamorphic, jAlbum would still be fooled about its dimensions, and the video frame would be in the wrong aspect ratio. That's a separate problem.

Add Album > Settings > Videos > Custom Settings > Advanced > -vf option to specify aspect ratios: http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-all.html#setdar_002c-setsar

Display aspect ratios of input file:
ffprobe -show_streams testjAlbum/2014/2014-11-21/Original.mov
- sample_aspect_ratio=0:1
- display_aspect_ratio=0:1
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums