Permlink Replies: 30 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 03-Dec-2013 23:29 Last Post By: jGromit
davidekholm

Mark your skins for video support
Posted: 16-Aug-2013 12:13
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi all skin developers,

Here's a small request that you add the following property to the skin.properties file of your skin, if your skin fully supports video, i.e. that it supports the playing of the .mp4 files jAlbum 11 generates without the need for the user to download plugins to their browser.

skin.properties:
fullVideoSupport=true
After some time I plan to display a warning message for skins that don't have this flag set to true if the user is making a video album. Today the user ends up confused when trying to play the .mp4 videos in their browser and being faced with a "Please download plugin" message from their browser.
jGromit

Re: Mark your skins for video support
Posted: 16-Aug-2013 13:09   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Will do, happily.

It raises an interesting problem, however, and that's the almost universal lack of video support among the bundled skins. For now, it's not easy to add that support in a simple way. A player of some description, be it JPlayer (Turtle) or JW Player (my skins) has to be invoked.

I think JW Player embedding is the soul of simplicity, but the free version has some annoying branding (a persistent logo, plus a link "home" if you click on it), and the license fees are steep. Take a look at the page code: http://earlyout.jalbum.net/JW6embed.

The good news is that we're not far away from universal support for simple <video> tags in browsers. It works in IE9/IE10, Chrome, FF under Win7Win8 (but not on other OS's), and I believe Safari. No player required. Incorporating this into the bundled skins will be simple: http://earlyout.jalbum.net/videoTag. Just grab the native video size from jAlbum, then limit the display size to stay within the image bounds, and you're home.
jGromit

Posted: 16-Aug-2013 13:12   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
BTW, fullVideoSupport should be added to the Tools, Skin Developer, Edit skin properties routine.
davidekholm

Posted: 16-Aug-2013 15:16   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
EarlyOut wrote:
BTW, fullVideoSupport should be added to the Tools, Skin Developer, Edit skin properties routine.

True. I've now updated the skin property editor. I've also refactored it to use jAlbum's routines for loading and saving properties so now we could cut 1/3 of the code and make the property editor smart enough to also preserve properties that still have no corresponding UI elements.
alan927

Posted: 19-Aug-2013 01:37   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Just to be clear, this variable will be defaulting to false, so for skins that do not support video (all 3 of my skins) no update is necessary, right? Or should I do a small update to set that variable to false?
davidekholm

Posted: 19-Aug-2013 11:16   in response to: alan927 in response to: alan927
alan927 wrote:
Just to be clear, this variable will be defaulting to false, so for skins that do not support video (all 3 of my skins) no update is necessary, right? Or should I do a small update to set that variable to false?

Hi. No, it will default to false, so unless your skins fully supports video, you don't need to do anything.
AndreWolff

Posted: 31-Aug-2013 19:05   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I added the video statement in the Slide Show 4 skin and did an update.

As a result I got this email:

Hi,

You have published a skin at jalbum.net which is flagged as "playing video files".

We have now decided to change the meaning of that feature, since jAlbum 11 can convert almost any video format into one that is playable on the web (H.264/AAC). So, the skin feature "Plays video files" now means that the skin supports this conversion feature and is able to play these converted files in recent versions of Internet Explorer (via Flash), FireFox (also via Flash), Chrome and Safari.

If your skin is Flash-only and do support videos, you might already support playing H.264/AAC videos. But if it's HTML-based you probably have to add code to fully support this.

Apart from the few skins I know already supports this, this feature has been removed for the rest of the skin. So when you know your skin do support it, you can add the feature again.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Anders Callertun
jAlbum

I don't understand this, should I now remove the video statement again?

jGromit

Posted: 31-Aug-2013 21:26   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
Andre, you can go ahead and add the "supports video" feature to your skin on the skin page. Slide Show 4 has the kind of support that Anders is talking about - it's got a built-in player (in this case, JW Player, the one I've been using, too) for the videos.

I think what Anders wants is for only these kinds of skins to be labeled as "supports video." Some older skins simply coughed up the MP4 file, counting on some addon or application on the visitor's PC to play it, something like Quicktime or Windows Media Player. The video wasn't really being shown within the album itself, and whether it worked or not was heavily dependent upon what the visitor's PC had installed.

With JPlayer or JW Player, the video is usually being shown with the brower's native <video> tag support (IE9/10, Chrome, Safari, Firefox on WinVista, Win7, and Win8), or it's falling back to Flash (IE8, Firefox on WinXP and Mac OSX). Kind of a different animal. The video can still fail, of course (IE8 without Flash installed, for example), but it's going to work for 99% of the site visitors.
AndreWolff

Posted: 31-Aug-2013 22:18   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Ok EarlyOut I don't change anything, thanks for your quick response!
jGromit

Posted: 31-Aug-2013 23:09   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
...I don't change anything....

Well, you should go to your skin and re-add the "supports video" tag to it, so that people searching the skin repository for skins that support videos will find it.
Dschuwi

Posted: 01-Sep-2013 10:54   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
As video support is obviously an important jAlbum feature today, I am still waiting for the tutorial of how to practically implement it. If I understand you right, by "video support" you mean that a video player is bundled with she skin.

So which player is the preferred player?
Why is it not bundled with jAlbum?

I have yet failed to install one into my skin. As JGromit mentioned, one showed some kind of licensing nag, the other has so many settings and options, it was far from simply adding some lines of HTML ... :-(

A tutorial would be most welcome! Looking into Base skin's slide.htt I dont' find any hint, further more I cannot even really try the bult-in player as flash security rules seem to block the playing (A flash player? No kidding???)
jGromit

Posted: 01-Sep-2013 12:48   in response to: Dschuwi in response to: Dschuwi
For now, at least, you still need a Flash fallback. With IE8 and Firefox on WinXP and Mac OSX, that's the only way to play an MP4. There's no magic solution to that.

If we could truly ditch IE8, and not worry about Firefox on those two platforms, you could implement video support with no player at all - just wrap the sucker in <video> tags, and let the browser take care of it.

I know what you mean about JPlayer. Sure, it's free, but it looks like one of those "configure it yourself, with no help whatsoever" packages. JW Player is really simple to implement.
jimberry

Posted: 01-Sep-2013 23:51   in response to: Dschuwi in response to: Dschuwi
Dschuwi wrote:
A tutorial would be most welcome!
http://www.longtailvideo.com/support/jw-player/28839/embedding-the-player
jGromit

Posted: 02-Sep-2013 03:15   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry
The tough one is JPlayer, whose documentation is dense, and difficult to plow through. JW Player is much, much simpler.
Dschuwi

Posted: 02-Sep-2013 08:55   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
JW Player is commercial, so I must not distribute it with a skin.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums