This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 25-May-2007 07:02 Last Post By: jimberry
RikP

Integrate album into and existing site
Posted: 23-Mar-2007 21:56

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I'm VERY new to JAlbum, but moderately at ease with basic html. I'm very interested in being able to put an album into an existing page of some of my websites. I've gone over the tutorial that should give me this help, but can't devine it. Looking at the "Cars" tutorial:

1. Pick a fairly clean page from the existing site.
2. Copy the html code from the top of that file to the place where you want JAlbum to add it's thumbnails. In our case where this text is located: "This section is supposed to have a gallery of car images produced by JAlbum"
3. Open "index.htt" from the current skin directory.
4. Delete the existing code from the top to and including the <body> tag.
5. Paste the contents of the clipboard.

questons:
2: Copy what part of the html code? From the clean page? No, because that's the page I want JAlbum to go.
3: What can I use to edit index.htt? TextEdit does not show text here, and Dreamweaver says it doesn't do htt!

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I can't get started here. Perhaps I'm leaping in where I should be wading? HELP?
jimberry

Re: Integrate album into and existing site
Posted: 23-Mar-2007 22:44   in response to: RikP in response to: RikP

2: Copy what part of the html code? From the clean
page? No, because that's the page I want JAlbum to
go.
There are two integration tutorials, simple and not so simple
You seem to be using the second, which copies the html code from an existing page into the htt templates, so that the existing code is replicated on every page when JAlbum creates the album.

If, as you appear to be saying, you want to load the album into an existing page (i.e. not repeat the code), you probably want to use the other (simple) tutorial. This puts an iframe on the existing page, into which you load the unmodified album.

Here are examples of using an iframe
http://www.alan927.com/naias07/
http://www.markwoodsweddings.com/
http://www.jimberry.org/integration/integration.htm
jimberry

Posted: 23-Mar-2007 22:52   in response to: RikP in response to: RikP

3: What can I use to edit index.htt? TextEdit does
not show text here, and Dreamweaver says it doesn't
do htt!
Dreamweaver (and other visual html editors) cannot understand the scripting in JAlbum .htt templates that instruct JAlbum how to build individual html pages.

I am not familiar with TextEdit, but a simple text editor like (for Windows) NotePad or WordPad or JEdit, or (for Unix/linux) vi should handle htt files easily.
RikP

Posted: 02-Apr-2007 16:21   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Yes, Jim! The simple way worked. Thanks much! TextEdit is an apple editor much like notepad. I think what I may need to do, however, is rename the index.htt to index.txt just so it the program doesn't think too much and out guess me. We'll get it...
aaamemories

Posted: 25-May-2007 06:23   in response to: RikP in response to: RikP

Hi

I too was trying to integrate Jalbum into my site so I can use my navigation bars and have a title page too. My solution was to use the iframe tag which allows frames to appear within a table cell. My site is divided into a 4 cell table with top cell my title, left cell my navbar, right cell my main window to view albums and bottom cell for my copyright notation. You can view my site and one of the albums then use your browser to view source code. Scroll down or search for iframe to see how I use it.

Dreamweaver works well with iframe and allowing you to select the cell that iframe is in then right click on the iframe coding to edit it and browse to the album file you want to include into your page.

As you can see I have several albums all over my site, each country has sever albums to view the fish, coral, fish with coral and resorts.

Enjoy
http://www.aaamemories.com
Message was edited by: jimberry
(to make the link clickable)
jimberry

Posted: 25-May-2007 07:01   in response to: aaamemories in response to: aaamemories

Note that tables are not a prerequisite to using an iframe. If you don't want to use tables in your layout, you can insert an iframe on its own, as in the above-mentioned tutorial.

Note also that if you give the iframe a name you can load other pages into it from your menu, just by including target="iframe_name" in the href element.
e.g. If you put href="instructions.htm" target="iframe_name" in the code for your 'Instructions" button, it would load within the iframe instead of a new window.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums