Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 07-Apr-2007 01:59 Last Post By: monte
MarkE

Speed Up JAlbum by Ensuring Thumbnails Exist
Posted: 27-Mar-2007 13:37
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
This has been discussed elsewhere (http://jalbum.net/forum/message.jspa?messageID=122844#122844), but IMHO is worth highlighting as a Tip … especially for those who are using dedicated folder thumbnails in a top-level Index, separate from the main albums.

If an image thumbnail does not exist (say an image has been cropped … not all applications will re-create an associated thumbnail), then JAlbum has to build its own thumbnail to display in the GUI main screen. This can make JAlbum appear slow to respond, especially if the images are themselves large.

It may be worthwhile ensuring that they do actually exist, though this may not be as obvious to do as first appears. A recommended application is Exifer.

This also applies to the .thm files used with movies etc, which are generally .jpg files renamed with the .thm extension. (Note that Exifer will only see them when named as jpg files).

Presumably, as Exif thumbnails are (generally) available only with jpg images, then JAlbum has no choice but to build its own thumbnails on-the-fly for bmp, tif, png and other such formats.

A secondary point to note is that sensitive data cropped out from an image may still be visible within the Exif data!! Take care …..

Mark

Message was edited by: Mark Worthington
MarkE

Re: Speed Up JAlbum by Ensuring Thumbnails Exist
Posted: 06-Apr-2007 21:52   in response to: MarkE in response to: MarkE
Following on from this, I have experienced an great increase in interactive GUI speed when I also re-size dedicated thumbnails.

I often use a copied image as folder thumbnail, excluding it as well. Sometimes these are 5 Mb files, say 4000x3000 pixels. By re-sizing them to 640x480, for instance, I get a much quicker response, and 2nd pass builds (to create a top-level index of folder, for instance) are done in about a tenth of the time.

Mark
monte

Re: Speed Up JAlbum by Ensuring Thumbnails Exist
Posted: 07-Apr-2007 01:58   in response to: MarkE in response to: MarkE
Mark

Following on from this, I have experienced an great
increase in interactive GUI speed when I also
re-size dedicated thumbnails.

I have experienced this also.

I often use a copied image as folder thumbnail,
excluding it as well. Sometimes these are 5 Mb files,
say 4000x3000 pixels. By re-sizing them to 640x480,
for instance, I get a much quicker response, and 2nd
pass builds (to create a top-level index of folder,
for instance) are done in about a tenth of the time.

I have actually had run errors because the thumbnails were the same size as the pictures, I have been resizing the thumbnails to 640x480 from the beginning. Therefore, I agree with you 100%. ;)

Monte
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums