This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 26 Mar 23, 15:52 Last Post By: JeffTucker
wrestlingscans

Issue with PDFs
Posted: 19 Nov 22, 04:23

Click to reply to this thread Reply
My website originally consisted of pictures that opened a PDF file when clicked on. Worked great on all devices/browsers. I then updated the site to use Jalbum/Photoblogger and I'm having issues with the PDF files now.

I originally set up the albums to how the site was originally, pictures that had External Links to the PDF files. However, when viewed on an iPad/phone, the PDFs would not open. The only thing shown is the picture that was clicked on. I had no problems viewing my site on my desktop.

I then tested importing an actual PDF instead of linking a picture. This worked on all devices/browsers, but of course I have the generic Adobe icon and I needed my pics to be used instead. I then used the .thm trick and it worked, I now had the pic I wanted, but unfortunately the PDF could not be opened by ANY device/browser.

So basically, is there a way I can fix this linking issue or is there a way to use .thm files without breaking the ability to open the PDF? I'm assuming I have some settings wrong and this is an easy fix. I hope lol.

Note: I don't know if it makes a difference, but the linked PDFs are located in a separate section and not in album folders. Also, this is my own website and not stored on JAlbum servers.
Laza

Re: Issue with PDFs
Posted: 19 Nov 22, 07:50   in response to: wrestlingscans in response to: wrestlingscans

Here are the steps that worked for me.

1. Add the PDF file to jAlbum.
2. Ensure it's not linked: right-click -> Convert link to copy
3. Open the file location: right-click -> Show in the filesystem
4. Save (move) the poster image here as JPG (!)
5. Rename it to have the same base name as the PDF with extension .thm

It seems only JPG's work, and placing the replacement image along with the linked files won't work either.

Attached screenshot
wrestlingscans

Posted: 19 Nov 22, 15:42   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Didn't work. I'm sure it's something obvious I'm missing.

Here's the URL for a working "picture with a link to the PDF"

http://www.wrestlingscans.com/albums/Misc/index.html#img=wbf_Page1.jpg

Here's the URL for the non-working "PDF with .thm file"

http://www.wrestlingscans.com/albums/Misc/index.html#img=wbf2.pdf

It looks like it's trying to open the PDF as an image? The .thm file is in the same directory with the same name as wbf2, and it started as a jpeg.

Would it have anything to do with the site not being secure (yet)?
Laza

Posted: 20 Nov 22, 19:55   in response to: wrestlingscans in response to: wrestlingscans

Here the non-working album works fine. Perhaps some internet security software or some browser extension blocks the Google PDF viewer.
JeffTucker

Posted: 21 Nov 22, 13:57   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

A few weeks ago, I put together a little Photoblogger album of PDF's (for another, unrelated reason). There doesn't seem to be any problem with using the standard routine of adding mydog.pdf and mydog.thm to the project:

(demo album removed)

ETA: I can report, however, that if you are linking to your source files, rather than copying them to the project, the jAlbum core routine that ties a PDF to its representing THM does not work. Even if you try to convert a link to a copy, it still fails.

There are some messy workarounds, as Laza has posted, but the way to do this properly is to head for Preferences > Album > When adding files, and choose Copy. Then add your PDF and THM. You can then switch the preference choice back to Link if you're going to add other, non-THM objects to the project.

Edited by: JeffTucker on 26 Mar 2023, 09:51
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums