This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 15 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 29 Jun 22, 20:49 Last Post By: justinhow
justinhow

Search question
Posted: 13 Jun 22, 21:23

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I understand that a search with quotes will ONLY find that EXACT syntax match in the complete Comment (Title etc) field.
This will mean a search for "John Smith" will not match a comment field that has "John Smith, Mick Jagger", and yet if I just search for John Smith without quotes it will also find any record that has a comment field such as "John Tindle", "Eric Smith" etc
Is there no way round this issue?

Edited by: justinhow on 13 Jun 2022, 20:23
Laza

Re: Search question
Posted: 14 Jun 22, 16:14   in response to: justinhow in response to: justinhow

The search is supposed to work like this:

If you search for "John Smith" it will find:
"John Smith and Mick Jagger"
but not
"John Jagger and Mick Smith"

A simple search for John Smith will find all the items that have either John or Smith in the related fields.

There's no such mode that matches the whole comment. (Similarly to other search engines.)
justinhow

Posted: 14 Jun 22, 20:12   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

So on my site if I search for "Ted" (with quotes) it comes up with completely different results (no results) than if I search for Ted (without quotes) and returns results as expected. According to what you say above it should show the same results shouldn't it?
See both examples below:
https://www.howpics.com/index.html#search=%22Ted%22
https://www.howpics.com/index.html#search=Ted

If I search for "Ted Wickes" (with quotes) it just returns 1 result (the only photo with just Ted Wickes in the comment field) even though there are many photos with "Ted Wickes" in the comments field (along with other names). You can see these photos by just searching for Ted.
Laza

Posted: 15 Jun 22, 13:20   in response to: justinhow in response to: justinhow

Okay, that's not expected. I will look into this issue.
justinhow

Posted: 15 Jun 22, 13:21   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

FYI This is running on a Windows 2019 IIS server.

Edited by: justinhow on 15 Jun 2022, 19:07
justinhow

Posted: 23 Jun 22, 20:31   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza
Any idea when you may have time to look at this?

P.S. If you need access to my photo album, please let me know when you need it as normally I geo restrict this as I don't want my family photos to be able to be accessed from all around the world
Justin
Laza

Posted: 24 Jun 22, 08:17   in response to: justinhow in response to: justinhow

I tried, but whatever I do, it works as it should. I will need your settings at the first round and two or three images' titles, comments, and keywords in order to reproduce the error first.

Also, check if you are using ordinary quote marks ("..."). In some languages, they got automatically replaced by 6699 or other characters.
justinhow

Posted: 24 Jun 22, 13:37   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

I have emailed you various files and opened up access to my photo website again.
Let me know if you need anything else.
justinhow

Posted: 24 Jun 22, 19:23   in response to: justinhow in response to: justinhow

I have also done tests using the built in jAlbum browser/server and I get the same results as from my main IIS server.
Easiest test is search for:
  • "Ted" - with quotes - gets 0 results - incorrect - should get 17
  • Ted - without quotes - gets 17 results - seems correct
  • "Ted Wickes" - with quotes , gets 1 result - incorrect - should get 17. The 1 returned is where "Ted Wickes" makes up the complete comment without any other names.
  • Ted Wickes - without quotes - gets 35 results - seems correct
The name "Ted Wickes" appears 17 times (approx) in the whole album, usually comma delimited with other peoples names e.g. "Ted Wickes, Mary Wickes, Nicholas"
justinhow

Posted: 29 Jun 22, 13:32   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza
Any update on this search issue?
Anything else you need from me?
Laza

Posted: 29 Jun 22, 16:08   in response to: justinhow in response to: justinhow

Sorry, I forgot to answer. What you sent is one subfolder of an album, which cannot be used for testing alone. I tried it hard, but it was still broken after several attempts.

Instead, I have imported your search settings and set up an album for testing search.

When I have several pictures with "John Lennon" for example, and I search for "John" - with quotes - that means the search must be exact search, so it will only find pictures with a comment that contains nothing else but "John". Perhaps I should modify the search routine to find "John Lennon" in "Sir John Lennon" too. In the comments at least, as in keywords, the search with quotes should only find the whole matches.
Laza

Posted: 29 Jun 22, 16:30   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza
Helpful
I tried to make it work better. Can you please test it? Now it is supposed to find substrings even with quotes.

Test album

Edited by: Laza on 29 Jun 2022, 20:49
justinhow

Posted: 29 Jun 22, 16:34   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

"Perhaps I should modify the search routine to find "John Lennon" in "Sir John Lennon" too. In the comments at least, as in keywords, the search with quotes should only find the whole matches."
I think this would be far more useful and flexible otherwise the search is pretty limited as you could never find a full name "John Lennon" if it appeared with other names in the comments eg "John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ring Star". You could only search for John which might return many other references. There of course could be many others examples "I had a great day on the London Eye" could not be found with a search for "London Eye"
I will hope and await.
Thanks
justinhow

Posted: 29 Jun 22, 16:36   in response to: justinhow in response to: justinhow

Just seen your follow up message. This seems to work much better and as I would expect.
Great work.
I will eagerly await a Tiger skin update.

Edited by: justinhow on 29 Jun 2022, 16:13
justinhow

Posted: 29 Jun 22, 18:48   in response to: justinhow in response to: justinhow

I have just seen the updated Tiger skin 13.18.1 and will test as soon as I mave made and uploaded the album.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums