This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 11 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 23 May 22, 18:41 Last Post By: JeffTucker
hakhol257

Upload to USB Memory Stick
Posted: 26 Jan 19, 17:33

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I need to publish a genealogy which, for security reasons, may not be accessible over the Internet or over another network. Instead, I want to copy albums from my PC to USB Memory Sticks that the family gets. What they need to do is connect the USB Memory Stick to a PC and thus access the information. Updates will be made rarely and in such case new USB Memory Stick will be distributed to the family.

Of the transfer function / publishing function, it is possible to upload albums either to your website or to the customers' website. What I can see is nothing about how to upload / publish images to albums on a USB Memory Stick.

Is it possible and if so how?
hanso

Re: Upload to USB Memory Stick
Posted: 26 Jan 19, 18:52   in response to: hakhol257 in response to: hakhol257

Just copy the directory generated by jalbum to the memory stick.
The album will show by having the browser on the computer load the index.html file.

Note that this will not work with Chrome for .json based albums.

hakhol257

Posted: 26 Jan 19, 20:06   in response to: hanso in response to: hanso

Thanks for the quick reply. I must remember about Chrome.
Rick47

Posted: 23 May 22, 12:14   in response to: hanso in response to: hanso

I know that this is an old thread but I have a similar situation - wanting to distribute to family via USB stick.
However when I try to follow the suggested method above, only a single page of photos appear under each section and there is limited navigation.
Even if I click on the index.html directly on the PC (C:\users\myname\Documents\My Albums\Album Name\album\index.html) I get the same result.
Performing a 'Preview' from within jAlbum however does display everything correctly, even though it says it is using the same path/files.
Any help appreciated.
RobM

Posted: 23 May 22, 12:26   in response to: Rick47 in response to: Rick47

If you are using Tiger skin, or any other json driven skin, it needs to be viewed via a server.
See this old thread https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=340341&#340341
Rick47

Posted: 23 May 22, 12:53   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thanks for the prompt reply RobM.
That really is a shame and a little puzzling as jAlbum can run in preview mode from the same local folder. Does jAlbum simulate a server and client platform somehow?
If it does, isn't there an option to replicate something similar on the USB?
AnCa

Posted: 23 May 22, 13:04   in response to: Rick47 in response to: Rick47

Rick47 wrote:
Thanks for the prompt reply RobM.
That really is a shame and a little puzzling as jAlbum can run in preview mode from the same local folder. Does jAlbum simulate a server and client platform somehow?
There is a built in web server in the jAlbum client that is used for previewing the album. When the URL starts with http:, then a web server is used. If it's file: it's directly from the file system.

Most of the skins do not require a web server, so I suggest you just switch to another skin if you want to use a USB drive.
JeffTucker

Posted: 23 May 22, 14:31   in response to: AnCa in response to: AnCa

These are the skins that use JSON files, and can't be viewed from a USB stick:

Hydrogen, Photoblogger, Projector, Responsive, Sprint, Story, Tiger

All other existing skins will work properly when viewed locally, including Laza's other skins, andrewolff's skins, and my skins.

Edited by: JeffTucker on 23 May 2022, 12:38, to add some forgotten skins to the list.
RobM

Posted: 23 May 22, 16:39   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Just for completeness, still listed on the skins page Hydrogen and Responsive both use JSON files.
JeffTucker

Posted: 23 May 22, 17:48   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Thanks. I tend to forget about the abandonware, but they are still on the "active" list.
RobM

Posted: 23 May 22, 18:00   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
Thanks. I tend to forget about the abandonware, but they are still on the "active" list.
I forgot about Sprint too, and that’s my skin!
JeffTucker

Posted: 23 May 22, 18:28   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums