This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 11 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 21 Oct 21, 03:28 Last Post By: timmyleeturner
timmyleeturner

Gallery too large
Posted: 14 Oct 21, 23:47

Click to reply to this thread Reply
As I've posted in other sections, all my settings disappeared in jAlbum that I've used for years and I've been lost spending all day trying to create an album. Finally got it done, when I started uploading it I realized it was 3,700MB in size... way too big. I don't know what settings I used to make these sizes better for the web, but that size won't work. It may be because Copy Originals if needed is checked, I'll have to create another album and try again unchecked.

Edited by: timmyleeturner on 14 Oct 2021, 23:56
timmyleeturner

Re: Gallery too large
Posted: 15 Oct 21, 00:06   in response to: timmyleeturner in response to: timmyleeturner

It looks like it's taking just as long to make the album with "Originals" unchecked. Not sure what setting to use. I'm going to have to work on this another day. I don't know why my settings all disappeared, it took me months to get them where I needed them in the first place.
davidekholm

Posted: 15 Oct 21, 13:29   in response to: timmyleeturner in response to: timmyleeturner

Can't answer that either, but if you have the final album somewhere, then the settings can be restored from it.

If you attach your project file I might be able to tell you why your gallery is so large now.
JeffTucker

Posted: 15 Oct 21, 13:33   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
If you attach your project file I might be able to tell you why your gallery is so large now.

One thing that can leave you with an oversized album is choosing Link to originals or Link to originals via scaled images, making the album, and then switching back to the regular Link to scaled-down images only. Once those originals have landed in the output directory, they stay there unless you delete the entire output and make the album again.
davidekholm

Posted: 15 Oct 21, 13:46   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Helpful
Good point Jeff. This is an issue jAlbum could handle better.
timmyleeturner

Posted: 16 Oct 21, 13:39   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

That was the issue. By default it is set to Copy Originals if needed. (not sure why it would be needed, but unchecking it and checking link to scaled down only reduced the album to 658 MB. For some reason, it appears that when updating jAlbum recently all my settings returned to default
Thanks!
JeffTucker

Posted: 16 Oct 21, 13:44   in response to: timmyleeturner in response to: timmyleeturner

You should always leave Copy originals if needed checked. It's a long explanation, but please just trust me on this one. As the text implies, it will copy the originals only if they're actually needed for the album to work properly.

What causes the unneeded originals to hang around in the output is choosing one of the Link to originals options, then switching back to Link to scaled-down images only.
timmyleeturner

Posted: 18 Oct 21, 03:09   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Well, I don't understand at all now, but because by checking it reduced the size of my gallery to normal. If I checked it back, it was HUGE! Too large to upload. This has been very troublesome after losing all my settings I'd been using for a year or two. I guess I'm not done.
JeffTucker

Posted: 18 Oct 21, 14:24   in response to: timmyleeturner in response to: timmyleeturner

timmyleeturner wrote:
Well, I don't understand at all now, but because by checking it reduced the size of my gallery to normal. If I checked it back, it was HUGE! Too large to upload.

This can be happening only if you are not using the right settings. Go through this carefully, step by step:

• Delete the contents of the existing output directory for the project.
  • Under Settings > Pages, choose Link to scaled-down images only.
  • Under Settings > Pages, check Copy originals if needed.
  • Check a few of the images to make sure you haven't told jAlbum to include or use the original. Right-click on a few of the thumbnails in the Explore view, and make sure neither Include original nor Use original is checked. If they are, these will need to be corrected. You can fix all of them at once, if necessary, by hitting CTRL-A to choose all of the objects, and then de-selecting the unwanted setting.
  • Make the album.

This has been very troublesome after losing all my settings I'd been using for a year or two.

Your settings are all saved in the project file, or, if you've deleted that, by getting the project file from your own backups (you do back up your projects, right?), or by retrieving the lifeboat file from your site. These things don't magically delete themselves.
timmyleeturner

Posted: 18 Oct 21, 14:29   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Just to be clear, I recall going through this the first time around but don't remember the result. I do not want jAlbum project files in my original directory, so I need the originals copied to my new destination temp directory in My Documents Albums, but I do not want a large gallery uploaded with originals.
JeffTucker

Posted: 18 Oct 21, 14:41   in response to: timmyleeturner in response to: timmyleeturner
Helpful
There is no reason to go through any strange gyrations to make this happen. Under Tools > Preferences > Album > When adding files, choose Copy.

Now create a project in your My Albums directory, and select the images you want to use from your directory of originals. jAlbum will copy them to the My Albums location, without planting any unwanted files in the directory where your real originals are, and it will create the new album there, as well. The generated album won't contain any originals, and won't be huge.

I retrieved your settings from your 2020 album, BMW_NoExcusesX!I!. Save the attached file to your PC somewhere. In jAlbum, choose File, Import, Settings from project, and navigate to this file. That will restore all of your settings, even the wrong ones. ;)
timmyleeturner

Posted: 21 Oct 21, 03:28   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums