This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 14 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 29 Sep 21, 17:01 Last Post By: JeffTucker
jimberry

Preferences>Details view scroll bar unnecessary?
Posted: 27 Sep 21, 06:37

Click to reply to this thread Reply
In Tools>Preferences>Details view there are two lists - "Available" and "Chosen". The height of these lists allow for a maximum of eight items. Because (currently) there are twelve items actually available, this results in the need to use a scroll bar to see the extra items.

There appears to be plenty of room to make the height much larger so that the need for a scroll bar disappears.

And some users might not immediately understand that the way to move an item from "Available" to "Chosen" or vice versa is just to "drag&drop". There would be room to add a short hint :)
RobM

Re: Preferences>Details view scroll bar unnecessary?
Posted: 27 Sep 21, 11:19   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

If making a change, why not also add keywords to the default set? That would complete the four other view choices.
davidekholm

Posted: 27 Sep 21, 12:34   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
If making a change, why not also add keywords to the default set? That would complete the four other view choices.

Yes, but also make each object/item taller and also reveal the filter bar which eats even more vertical space...
RobM

Posted: 27 Sep 21, 12:37   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
RobM wrote:

Yes, but also make each object/item taller and also reveal the filter bar which eats even more vertical space...

True, but there is no limit on how many attributes can be shown, so a user could have lots added. Personally, I’d be happy with the four, but I agree others might not.
davidekholm

Posted: 27 Sep 21, 12:41   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry
Correct
Good observation Jim. I'll adjust the list height of these lists for the next version. There will be a drag and drop hint too.
jimberry

Posted: 27 Sep 21, 13:16   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

One thing I miss from the old "Explorer" view is the ability to see more thumbnails at a time in small rows and columns and be able to rearrange the order with "Drag&Drop".

I guess, though, it might be too difficult to have that as an alternative view.
davidekholm

Posted: 27 Sep 21, 13:29   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry
Helpful
jimberry wrote:
One thing I miss from the old "Explorer" view is the ability to see more thumbnails at a time in small rows and columns and be able to rearrange the order with "Drag&Drop".

I guess, though, it might be too difficult to have that as an alternative view.

How do you mean? Can't you just use the zoom slider to make the thumbnails smaller?
JeffTucker

Posted: 27 Sep 21, 13:41   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

And which part of reordering by drag & drop isn't working?
jimberry

Posted: 27 Sep 21, 15:48   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

In the old "Explorer" view (with more columns of thumbs), you could fit more thumbs on a page.
jimberry

Posted: 27 Sep 21, 15:49   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Reordering IS working, it just takes more time to drag thumb number 500 to row 1 when the thumbs are all in column 1.
JeffTucker

Posted: 27 Sep 21, 16:01   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry
Helpful
Attachment ss009414.png (705.1 KB)
Attachment ss009415.png (694.3 KB)
jimberry wrote:
In the old "Explorer" view (with more columns of thumbs), you could fit more thumbs on a page.

Um.... See screenshots. The Details view isn't the only choice!
jimberry

Posted: 27 Sep 21, 16:45   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Ha!!! Thanks for reminding me. Some things are so obvious that they are invisible ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 29 Sep 21, 11:15   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Apart from switching "Label type" / view mode to "Filename", also reduce the thumbnail image size using the zoom slider. This will get you much more overview. Also, in order to not having to drag and drop objects over large distances, involving a lot of scrolling, try this approach instead:

1) Select the objects you wish to move
2) Hit CTRL+X (CMD+X on Mac) to mark them for "Cut"
3) Scroll to the destination location.
4) Position the mouse between two thumbnails, where you wish the cut-out objects to appear.
5) Hit CTRL+V (CMD+V)
jimberry

Posted: 29 Sep 21, 16:53   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Thanks, David. Jeff had already refreshed my memory of where to change the display from "Detail view" so that thumbs were not just in one column.

I was already using the zoom slider, but I had wrongly assumed that the "no details" view was no longer available.

My apologies for introducing an unnecessary complication to an otherwise simple request.
JeffTucker

Posted: 29 Sep 21, 17:01   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

jimberry wrote:
My apologies for introducing an unnecessary complication to an otherwise simple request.

The self-hijacking threads are always the most fun.

Now, about that original feature request....
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums