This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 15 Aug 21, 22:51 Last Post By: davidekholm
JeffTucker

Changing comment doesn't register as a subdirectory update
Posted: 13 Aug 21, 19:22

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I can't say how long this has been occurring, because I almost never work in this mode. If I choose Process only updated subdirectories, I'm always adding album objects, so the error isn't revealed.

• Create a new Minimal project with a few images, some of them in a folder.
  • Make the album.
  • Choose Process only updated subdirectories.
  • Under Minimal > Texts > Thumbnail labels, add both Titles and Comments, and choose Show all.
  • Open the folder and add a comment to an image.
  • Make the album. The folder isn't processed, and the comment doesn't appear.
  • Add a title to the same image.
  • Make the album. This time, the folder is processed, and both title and comment appear.
JeffTucker

Re: Changing comment doesn't register as a subdirectory update
Posted: 13 Aug 21, 19:52   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Another interesting little side-effect of choosing Process only updated subdirectories, and another illustration of why we warn users away from it....

• Create a Minimal album with a few images at the top level, and a few in a folder.
  • Make the album.
  • Choose HiDPI thumbnails.
  • Make the album. The thumbnails at the top level will now be 248x248 instead of 124x124. But the folder thumbnails will remain 124x124.

There is now no way to get the folder thumbnails to be regenerated. Even if you de-select Process only updated subdirectories, those 124x124 thumbnails will still be there. You're left with Force Remake, or Delete local album, or manually deleting the thumbs directory(s) in the output.

And just to make it more interesting, if you now add a new image to the folder, its thumbnail will be 248x248, but the others will still be 124x124.

davidekholm

Posted: 15 Aug 21, 22:17   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Correct
JeffTucker wrote:
I can't say how long this has been occurring, because I almost never work in this mode. If I choose Process only updated subdirectories, I'm always adding album objects, so the error isn't revealed.

Thanks for spotting this oldie. Now fixed in this beta: https://jalbum.net/download/beta/jalbum-core.jar
davidekholm

Posted: 15 Aug 21, 22:22   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
Another interesting little side-effect of choosing Process only updated subdirectories, and another illustration of why we warn users away from it....

• Create a Minimal album with a few images at the top level, and a few in a folder.
  • Make the album.
  • Choose HiDPI thumbnails.
  • Make the album. The thumbnails at the top level will now be 248x248 instead of 124x124. But the folder thumbnails will remain 124x124.

Not optimal, but I think I'll leave that one.
JeffTucker

Posted: 15 Aug 21, 22:33   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Now fixed in this beta....

Yes, works right now. :)
JeffTucker

Posted: 15 Aug 21, 22:36   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Not optimal, but I think I'll leave that one.

I don't blame you. I was thinking about what would be required to take care of this kind of situation properly, and I began to feel woozy and had to lie down for a bit. Really, really messy.

The bottom line is that users should be choosing Process only updated subdirectories only if they're not using a JSON-driven skin, and they're not making any changes other than adding a few more photos to the 2021 folder in the family album.
davidekholm

Posted: 15 Aug 21, 22:51   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

True
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums