This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 18 May 21, 12:42 Last Post By: davidekholm
ctwist

Better error navigation
Posted: 13 May 21, 13:43

Click to reply to this thread Reply
If my skin reports errors or warnings, these are shown in a pop-up window which describes each error and identifies the album object. To fix the error, the user usually needs to find the album object and then change it. This can be time-consuming, especially for a large album.

A suggested better approach:
  • The skin's error messages are shown in a persistent window.
  • For each error message, there can be a clickable link that opens the album object's Edit window. Alternatively, open the Explore window and highlight the album object.
  • This will save time and frustration for the user.
AndreWolff

Re: Better error navigation
Posted: 13 May 21, 14:18   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

ctwist wrote:
If my skin reports errors or warnings, these are shown in a pop-up window which describes each error and identifies the album object.

Do you mean during album generation or if you open the generated album?
Giving an example would help.
ctwist

Posted: 13 May 21, 14:21   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

When the album is generated (at the end of album generation).

Edited by: ctwist on 13 May 2021, 08:22
AndreWolff

Posted: 13 May 21, 15:31   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

What can a user do wrongly?
And what does the object name means for a user who does not know anything about coding?
ctwist

Posted: 13 May 21, 15:56   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

The user can do many things wrongly. Look at the list of error messages at the end of Mirage's texts.properties.

The user does not need to do any coding. If an error message is shown, the user clicks the link to jump to the album object that has an error.
AndreWolff

Posted: 13 May 21, 16:01   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

ctwist wrote:
The user can do many things wrongly
Strange, I think your code should prevent that the user does something wrongly!
My skins do have only one warning message, that is all.
ctwist

Posted: 13 May 21, 16:50   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
Strange, I think your code should prevent that the user does something wrongly!
What!!!
How can I possibly prevent the user from doing something wrong?
E.g. If a user selects a header image and then deletes the image, how can I prevent the user from doing this? I show an error message when the album is generated!
AndreWolff

Posted: 13 May 21, 19:16   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

ctwist wrote:
How can I possibly prevent the user from doing something wrong?
E.g. If a user selects a header image and then deletes the image, how can I prevent the user from doing this? I show an error message when the album is generated!
Well if the user deletes the header image, I assume that he no longer likes to see a header and I generate the album without a header.
If he does not like this he sees immediately after the album generation that the header is missing and he will realise that somehing is wrong and he will soon see what is wrong if he opens the skin album settings for the Header.

But I admit what you do is cleaner, but it is a lot of work for an event which perhaps never occurs.
And now after the error message, I understand, the modal upload window should automatically disappear and instead the skin settings tab Index pages / Header should be displayed?
That is even more work and I think jAlbum should be adapted for that. Personally I don’t see the need for this.
ctwist

Posted: 13 May 21, 20:03   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
And now after the error message, I understand, the modal upload window should automatically disappear and instead the skin settings tab Index pages / Header should be displayed?
That is even more work and I think jAlbum should be adapted for that.
I am not suggesting that.

I probably just want two methods that the skin can call:
  • Display a text window after album generation that remains open until the user closes it, or the user makes the album or the user closes the project.
  • For a specific AlbumObject, open either the Edit window or the Explore window (I don't know which I prefer).
The rest of the work will be done by the skin. It will open the window in finally.bsh and it will populate it with error messages; each error message may contain a clickable link to the appropriate Edit/Explore window.
AndreWolff

Posted: 13 May 21, 20:35   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

I don’t think it is worth the effort.
I will certainly not apply it.
davidekholm

Posted: 18 May 21, 12:42   in response to: ctwist in response to: ctwist

ctwist wrote:
If my skin reports errors or warnings, these are shown in a pop-up window which describes each error and identifies the album object. To fix the error, the user usually needs to find the album object and then change it. This can be time-consuming, especially for a large album.

To guide the user to the relevant AlbumObject, use this API:
window.albumExplorer.gotoPath(ao.getPathFromRoot());
, where "ao" is an instance of the AlbumObject you wish to navigate the user to.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums