This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 17 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 10 Aug 21, 14:14 Last Post By: JeffTucker
JeffTucker

Photoblogger can't display converted GIF's
Posted: 27 Apr 21, 22:20

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Stumbled on this by accident.... If you include a GIF in your project (animated or not - doesn't matter), jAlbum converts it to a PNG. Photoblogger is unable to display the slide image. It has no problem with images that start out as PNG's.

It gets even weirder. If you take the output PNG from a project, one that's been converted by jAlbum from a GIF, and use it in a new project, Photoblogger has no trouble with it.

Story suffers from the same difficulty, but not the other "Laza" skins.

A demo: (demo album removed)

Original GIF's attached - one animated, the other not.
Laza

Re: Photoblogger can't display converted GIF's
Posted: 28 Apr 21, 09:24   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I could not reproduce the problem, not even by importing your settings.

Did the local preview work? Can you please turn Debug mode on so I can test the JS?

See: https://samples.jalbum.net/Testin%20file%20types%20Photoblogger/

Edited by: Laza on 28 Apr 2021, 09:25
JeffTucker

Posted: 28 Apr 21, 13:33   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

It's very consistent - Windows or Mac, any browser. Local preview (using jAlbum internal server) or from the web. Default Photoblogger settings.

Album regenerated with debug mode on: (demo album removed)

I'll see if I can figure out why it works with your test album....
JeffTucker

Posted: 28 Apr 21, 13:35   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I think it works in your test album because you're telling jAlbum to use the original GIF for the slide page. The failure occurs only when you let jAlbum convert the GIF to a PNG.
Laza

Posted: 28 Apr 21, 14:08   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

No, the skin should copy the GIF file whether the original is included or not. Perhaps MacOS has stopped it for some reason. Works on my PC. It seems no GIF is copied to the output directory on yours.
JeffTucker

Posted: 28 Apr 21, 14:28   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

This is happening on Windows and macOS, so it's clearly not a problem with something like file permissions. But I agree, there's no GIF file in the output.

I'm not clear about what your skin is doing. In my skins, I simply detect a GIF in the image directory, and just do a quick obj.setUseOriginal(true). The skin itself doesn't do any file copying to the output - at that point the jAlbum core takes care of it. It copies the GIF to the root of the output, and doesn't bother generating a PNG.
Laza

Posted: 28 Apr 21, 16:55   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

This is very odd. If I move the output directory out of the Input directory it works, but it fails if the album is generated into the "album" folder.
JeffTucker

Posted: 28 Apr 21, 16:57   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza wrote:
This is very odd. If I move the output directory out of the Input directory it works, but it fails if the album is generated into the "album" folder.

Very odd, indeed! But of course, that's the jAlbum default, so.... ;)

ETA: And confirmed - it works if I make the same change.
Laza

Posted: 28 Apr 21, 17:10   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

The code says the file has been successfully copied. In the case of using "album", jAlbum removes the file, and when I use an external folder it doesn't. I tried another copy method - Files.copy() - which does the same. I believe jAlbum should work the same for both folders.
JeffTucker

Posted: 28 Apr 21, 17:13   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Is your skin doing the file copying before album generation, or after?
Laza

Posted: 28 Apr 21, 17:16   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

When processing the actual folder.
JeffTucker

Posted: 28 Apr 21, 17:17   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

And maybe the best fix is to get David to change the behavior of the jAlbum core when it comes to GIF files. It's messy - see this post:

https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?messageID=348091#348091
JeffTucker

Posted: 28 Apr 21, 17:21   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza wrote:
When processing the actual folder.

When my skins were still doing the file copying, I believe I did it in postdir.bsh, rather than predir.bsh. Now I do a simple recursion in init.bsh, where I set the GIF's to Use original (I also exclude unsupported objects while I'm at it). Much cleaner.
Laza

Posted: 28 Apr 21, 17:21   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Yes, it should always copy GIFs. I don't see the point why replacing a GIF with a PNG is useful.
Laza

Posted: 28 Apr 21, 17:22   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Yes, I tried now using setUseOriginal() during directory processing and it didn't help either - predictably.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums