This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 31 Mar 21, 12:57 Last Post By: AndreWolff
AndreWolff

Add an ALT-text field for an image in the jAlbum Explorer.
Posted: 17 Mar 21, 09:53

Click to reply to this thread Reply
In the jAlbum Explorer it is possible to define a caption and a title for an image, but not a text for the Alt attribute.

I understand that the ALT text attribute of an image is read by Google and other search engines an it is used to assist people with visual disabilities who can’t see the images well, or at all, and therefore use a screen-reader to read aloud the descriptive text for them.

So I think it is a good idea to supply always a good ALT text for an image.

So my request is to add an ALT-text field for an image in the jAlbum Explorer.
This text should be added to the images by the skin code.
davidekholm

Re: Add an ALT-text field for an image in the jAlbum Explorer.
Posted: 17 Mar 21, 13:53   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

How would the ALT text differ from what you enter as Title or Caption/Comment?
You can always add an "alt" user variable under the Edit panel and enter whatever text you like for it. In your skin, you can then refer to it as ${alt}
Laza

Posted: 17 Mar 21, 13:55   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

My skins use title + comment as ALT text (with HTML tags removed). Do you think users will care providing a separate ALT text? How would that be different?
AndreWolff

Posted: 17 Mar 21, 15:26   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
How would the ALT text differ from what you enter as Title or Caption/Comment?
The title specifies extra information about an image which is not visible from the image.
The alt text describes the image for people with visual disabilities who can’t see the images well. That information is not required for people who can see the image very well. As an example the alt text may explain that an image shows a red dress, which is obvious for people seeing well.
You can always add an "alt" user variable under the Edit panel and enter whatever text you like for it. In your skin, you can then refer to it as ${alt}
Of course, but that is a user unfriendly solution and makes it difficult for a user to select another skin.
AndreWolff

Posted: 17 Mar 21, 15:29   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza wrote:
My skins use title + comment as ALT text (with HTML tags removed).
If you make the contents of the title field and the alt field equal, why did the inventors of html defined two fields?
Do you think users will care providing a separate ALT text? How would that be different?
See above.
davidekholm

Posted: 18 Mar 21, 14:00   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

André, I understand what you want, but I'm pretty hesitant to add another view mode for the "alt tag" or as a field of the Details view as this hasn't been requested before and can be implemented by using either the title, comment or an "alt" user variable. Every feature added also adds complexity to the 99.9% that will never use this. That's the balance we have to take into account too.
AndreWolff

Posted: 18 Mar 21, 15:58   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
André, I understand what you want, but I'm pretty hesitant to add another view mode for the "alt tag" or as a field of the Details view...
Is it so difficult to implement?
Just copy the Title code and replace 'Tilte' by 'Alt'.
and can be implemented by using either the title, comment or an "alt" user variable.
No, I did explain above the difference between a Title and Alt field. And using an Alt user variable is user unfriendly and makes it skin specific
Every feature added also adds complexity to the 99.9% that will never use this.
So you think it is too complex for a user who see the text
Details File name Title Comment Keywords
replaced by
Details File name Title Alt Comment Keywords
?

Of course you should not try to make jAlbum a consistent program!

This is my 42th refused feature request, so I think it is the last one!
AndreWolff

Posted: 31 Mar 21, 12:57   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza wrote:
My skins use title + comment as ALT text (with HTML tags removed). Do you think users will care providing a separate ALT text? How would that be different?
Read this article to understand why the two attributes should be different.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums