This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 46 - Pages: 4 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 2 Feb 21, 01:17 Last Post By: linuxrog
linuxrog

Re: Enhancement Request - more contrast in a dark theme.
Posted: 27 Jan 21, 03:19   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Jeff,

Yes, line 43 does it for top-level / project names but not for folder names. I, too, poked . . . and jabbed A LOT. Could not find the secret to changing color for folder names under a project.

I use them a lot for organizing images - moving from original folders to more applicable folders.

So, I'm still hopeful that the mystery can be solved.

/Roger
linuxrog

Posted: 27 Jan 21, 22:58   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Without downloading anything extra, make a "themes" folder under jAlbum's config folder and put a renamed copy of the file "jAlbum_dark.theme.json" which is found under system/themes in the program directory. Now edit this renamed copy to your liking. Changing the name is a good start. Here's a glimpse of the file so you see how straight forward it is to modify:
{
  "name": "jAlbum Dark",
  "dark": true,
  "author": "Mark Skelton, slightly modified by jAlbum",
  "editorScheme": "/themes/one_dark.xml",
  "ui": {
    "*": {
      "background": "#222222",
      "foreground": "#c4c4c4",

"infoForeground": "#666666",

"selectionBackground": "#3c3c3c",
      "selectionInactiveBackground": "#333333",
      "selectionBackgroundInactive": "#333333",
      "selectionForeground": "#dddddd",

When done, restart jAlbum. Your modified theme should now be visible for selection under Preferences->Look&Feel

David,

Still unable to change color of label / text on FOLDERS in Project pane. Rob and Jeff looked at this and one said this parameter is not controlled in the theme .json, e.g., jAlbum_dark.theme.json. I confirmed this, in my .json file, by poking and prodding, changing many settings to #ff0000 (red) with re--starts each time.

Evidently the thing I'm looking for is elsewhere. Any hints?

Thanks for looking into this.

/Roger
davidekholm

Posted: 28 Jan 21, 14:08   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog
Correct
linuxrog wrote:
David,

Gimme a hint! I have changed many different color options in the .json file and most have no effect that I can discern. I need a magic decoder ring.

WHAT parameters affect the color of text in, e.g., the

• List of folders and subfolders in Recent Projects

The component that renders the text for the folder tree is called DefaultTreeCellRenderer and it uses a key called for the text color called "Tree.textForeground". To map this to your .json file, it looks like this for blue text color:
    "Tree": {
      "selectionBackground": "#4d78cc",
      "modifiedItemForeground": "#568AF2",
      "textForeground": "#0000FF",
      "rowHeight": 20
    },

- Text being edited in a Comment box (NOT the rendered color after Make).
That component is of type JTextArea, so its color keys are fetched from the "TextArea." section according to UIResources (save that reference). Changing that text to red for instance, would then look like this:
    "TextArea": {
      "foreground": "#FF0000",
      "background": "#2c2c2c",
      "selectionBackground": "#484848"
    },
HOWEVER, jAlbum overrides this text and uses the "textText" SystemColor key instead. I don't know straight off why, but probably because some older look&feels had inproper values for "TextArea.foreground". Furthermore, I cannot figure out what json file property that maps to the "textText" SystemColor so I've now changed this mapping to map to "TextArea.foreground", and in case it's missing (happens on some L&F) then I revert to SystemColor.textText, but only then.

To get hold of the fix, just do a core update to v23.1.4

Thanks.

/Roger

linuxrog

Posted: 29 Jan 21, 01:26   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

DAVID: Thanks for beating on this. After digesting your note, I was able to get something a lot better and I'll play with it a bit more to get even closer to my prefs. The detailed instruction on where to edit the .json file was the key to pulling this off.

Interestingly, a core update does not show the point release 23.1.4. The version just shows as 23.1 during startup and in Help > About. BUT IT WERKS!

I really appreciate your effort on this. So take a pay increase <chuckle>. Thanks also to Rob and Jeff for their efforts.

/Roger

davidekholm wrote:
The component that renders the text for the folder tree is called DefaultTreeCellRenderer and it uses a key called for the text color called "Tree.textForeground". To map this to your .json file, it looks like this for blue text color:
    "Tree": {
      "selectionBackground": "#4d78cc",
      "modifiedItemForeground": "#568AF2",
      "textForeground": "#0000FF",
      "rowHeight": 20
    },

- Text being edited in a Comment box (NOT the rendered color after Make).
That component is of type JTextArea, so its color keys are fetched from the "TextArea." section according to UIResources (save that reference). Changing that text to red for instance, would then look like this:
    "TextArea": {
      "foreground": "#FF0000",
      "background": "#2c2c2c",
      "selectionBackground": "#484848"
    },
HOWEVER, jAlbum overrides this text and uses the "textText" SystemColor key instead. I don't know straight off why, but probably because some older look&feels had inproper values for "TextArea.foreground". Furthermore, I cannot figure out what json file property that maps to the "textText" SystemColor so I've now changed this mapping to map to "TextArea.foreground", and in case it's missing (happens on some L&F) then I revert to SystemColor.textText, but only then.

To get hold of the fix, just do a core update to v23.1.4

linuxrog

Posted: 29 Jan 21, 01:27   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

You guys are awesome.
davidekholm

Posted: 29 Jan 21, 11:33   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

Thanks Roger!
RobM

Posted: 29 Jan 21, 18:44   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

I have added the link David posted to the wiki developers centre>resource page
linuxrog

Posted: 29 Jan 21, 23:38   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

David,

I finally have something I like making lists more "contrasty." I have not dug really deep to see if there are strange color conflicts created in some dialogs, etc. The changes that I made also add a bit of color to drop-downs and some buttons. The changes are realized in the attached theme file. I documented the changes for future ref. It took a lot of trial and error for this poor soul to find the correct parameter settings, as well as cross refs to hex-code color charts.

Thanks again.

/Roger
linuxrog

Posted: 1 Feb 21, 21:19   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Rob: first if you are tired of this topic, just say give up, Roger!

I am still trying to get white text on a black background for active / selected items in a list of Projects. See attached.

I succeeded on other display attributes but not this one. So, I took a look at:

RobM wrote:
I have added the link David posted to the wiki developers centre>resource page

Since I could find no parameter to change in the .json theme file, I assumed maybe it's embedded in something at a "higher level," leading me to Developer Resources and getting lost. I thought maybe I could find it there.

Any clue?

Thanks for looking at this.

/Roger
RobM

Posted: 1 Feb 21, 22:22   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

I suspect it is another hard coded attribute, I would have thought Tree>textBackground, but of course it doesn't do anything. I'm afraid it's the blind leading the colour blind ;)
JeffTucker

Posted: 1 Feb 21, 22:34   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
...the colour blind ;)

Just a guess, but I suspect cataracts. For most people, black letters on a white background are easier to read, but for those with cataracts, white on black is easier. But at a certain stage of the game, the solution is to go in for the 15-minute procedure. ;)
RobM

Posted: 1 Feb 21, 22:43   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
RobM wrote:
...the colour blind ;)

Just a guess, but I suspect cataracts. For most people, black letters on a white background are easier to read, but for those with cataracts, white on black is easier. But at a certain stage of the game, the solution is to go in for the 15-minute procedure. ;)

To prove if it is colour blindness or cataracts one could select the Nimbus theme and then try everything listed here in the Nimbus defaults. Not for the fainthearted though!
linuxrog

Posted: 1 Feb 21, 23:26   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
I suspect it is another hard coded attribute, I would have thought Tree>textBackground, but of course it doesn't do anything. I'm afraid it's the blind leading the colour blind ;)

Yeah: I tried a lot of textBackground changes. I see you agree on hard coding.

I am only partially blind in one eye: Epiretinal Membrane, which leaves me right-eye dominant. It works pretty well.

On to Jeff's comment. Thanks for looking.
linuxrog

Posted: 1 Feb 21, 23:32   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
RobM wrote:
...the colour blind ;)

Jeff,

I researched contrast, etc., for teaching / slide presentations. Kodak did research on this and found max viewable contrast is black-on-white, followed by white-on-black. I no longer have the reference. BUT, many items in jAlbums are shades of gray on other shades of gray. Worse is the instruction "manual" provided by many tech sellers with light gray on lighter gray, in 4 pt. font! I take pictures of those with my cell phone and zoom in.

In the mean time, please check with your proctologist (couldn't resist). I don't think I'll get cataract surgery to deal with this minor problem.

Thanks for the lauf.
JeffTucker

Posted: 1 Feb 21, 23:34   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

I guess I'm still puzzled about your need for more contrast. The current batch of look-and-feel choices are all pretty high contrast already. As I said earlier, I can read project names from a few feet away from the monitor, and I have a fairly strong prescription and the beginnings of cataracts.

Only one of the old L&F choices was truly low-contrast - CDE/Motif is awful. Lots of gray on gray.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums