This question is answered.


Permlink Replies: 46 - Pages: 4 [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 2 Feb 21, 01:17 Last Post By: linuxrog
linuxrog

Posts: 278
Registered: 21-Nov-2008
Enhancement Request - more contrast in a dark theme.
Posted: 25 Jan 21, 23:29
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment jalbum.list.png (25.3 KB)
I find there is a lack of contrast between black backgrounds and text in many dialogs in Tiger. The text is gray and difficult to read in all of the dark-themes. See the attached folder list as an example.

The request: make a dark theme with more contrast, e.g., white text on black background. Maybe even a user select-able color for foreground and background.

Thanks for considering this.

/Roger
JeffTucker

Posts: 7,937
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: Enhancement Request - more contrast in a dark theme.
Posted: 25 Jan 21, 23:45   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
These are jAlbum "look and feel" choices. The skin has no control over them whatsoever.

There are four different dark look and feel choices. Try One Dark, which is probably the most contrasty of the bunch.

Moving this thread to Feature requests.
RobM

Posts: 3,789
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: Enhancement Request - more contrast in a dark theme.
Posted: 25 Jan 21, 23:55   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
You can also add your own choice of themes, see Preferences>General>Look and feel

It shows where to get more themes and how to add them. I have installed X-Code Dark which has good contrast.
davidekholm

Posts: 3,907
Registered: 18-Oct-2002
Re: Enhancement Request - more contrast in a dark theme.
Posted: 26 Jan 21, 09:53   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Helpful
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Without downloading anything extra, make a "themes" folder under jAlbum's config folder and put a renamed copy of the file "jAlbum_dark.theme.json" which is found under system/themes in the program directory. Now edit this renamed copy to your liking. Changing the name is a good start. Here's a glimpse of the file so you see how straight forward it is to modify:
{
  "name": "jAlbum Dark",
  "dark": true,
  "author": "Mark Skelton, slightly modified by jAlbum",
  "editorScheme": "/themes/one_dark.xml",
  "ui": {
    "*": {
      "background": "#222222",
      "foreground": "#c4c4c4",
 
      "infoForeground": "#666666",
 
      "selectionBackground": "#3c3c3c",
      "selectionInactiveBackground": "#333333",
      "selectionBackgroundInactive": "#333333",
      "selectionForeground": "#dddddd",


When done, restart jAlbum. Your modified theme should now be visible for selection under Preferences->Look&Feel
linuxrog

Posts: 278
Registered: 21-Nov-2008
Re: Enhancement Request - more contrast in a dark theme.
Posted: 26 Jan 21, 19:34   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
One Dark is the one I've been using. Thanks.
linuxrog

Posts: 278
Registered: 21-Nov-2008
Re: Enhancement Request - more contrast in a dark theme.
Posted: 26 Jan 21, 19:50   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
RobM wrote:
You can also add your own choice of themes, see Preferences>General>Look and feel

It shows where to get more themes and how to add them. I have installed X-Code Dark which has good contrast.


1. On Github, it says that X-Code Dark is for ". . . IntelliJ IDE's . . .
Designed to work with the macOS dark theme."

I'm not on a MAC.

2. Didn't find Look and Feel. I see Tools > Preferences with a General tab. No option to add a theme under the Look and Feel drop down.

I'll take a look at David's suggestion to mod an exisiting theme.

Thanks, Rob.
JeffTucker

Posts: 7,937
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: Enhancement Request - more contrast in a dark theme.
Posted: 26 Jan 21, 20:01   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
linuxrog wrote:
1. On Github, it says that X-Code Dark is for ". . . IntelliJ IDE's . . .
Designed to work with the macOS dark theme."

I'm not on a MAC.


That doesn't mean that you have to be on a Mac to use it. It just means that this style matches the style of the macOS dark theme - same colors.
RobM

Posts: 3,789
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: Enhancement Request - more contrast in a dark theme.
Posted: 26 Jan 21, 20:25   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
linuxrog wrote:
RobM wrote:
You can also add your own choice of themes, see Preferences>General>Look and feel

It shows where to get more themes and how to add them. I have installed X-Code Dark which has good contrast.

1. On Github, it says that X-Code Dark is for ". . . IntelliJ IDE's . . .
Designed to work with the macOS dark theme."

I'm not on a MAC.

2. Didn't find Look and Feel. I see Tools > Preferences with a General tab. No option to add a theme under the Look and Feel drop down.

I'll take a look at David's suggestion to mod an exisiting theme.

Thanks, Rob.

Click on the above link, it takes you to the wiki page for Preferences/General/Look and feel.
The instructions are there. Once a new theme is installed just relaunch jAlbum and then select the new theme - then relaunch again to make it active.
linuxrog

Posts: 278
Registered: 21-Nov-2008
Re: Enhancement Request - more contrast in a dark theme.
Posted: 26 Jan 21, 20:25   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Jeff: see item 2. No option to add plugin found.
linuxrog

Posts: 278
Registered: 21-Nov-2008
Re: Enhancement Request - more contrast in a dark theme.
Posted: 26 Jan 21, 20:35   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment theme.choices.jpg (73.9 KB)
davidekholm wrote:
Without downloading anything extra, make a "themes" folder under jAlbum's config folder and put a renamed copy of the file "jAlbum_dark.theme.json" which is found under system/themes in the program directory. Now edit this renamed copy to your liking. Changing the name is a good start. Here's a glimpse of the file so you see how straight forward it is to modify:
{
  "name": "jAlbum Dark",
  "dark": true,
  "author": "Mark Skelton, slightly modified by jAlbum",
  "editorScheme": "/themes/one_dark.xml",
  "ui": {
    "*": {
      "background": "#222222",
      "foreground": "#c4c4c4",
 
      "infoForeground": "#666666",
 
      "selectionBackground": "#3c3c3c",
      "selectionInactiveBackground": "#333333",
      "selectionBackgroundInactive": "#333333",
      "selectionForeground": "#dddddd",

When done, restart jAlbum. Your modified theme should now be visible for selection under Preferences->Look&Feel


David: I found the theme .json in (Linux) at
/lib/jalbum/system/themes/jAlbum_dark.theme.json
I copied and renamed it into /home/roger/.jalbum/themes
as rogers_dark.theme.json

it did not show in jAlbum. I tried also putting rogers_dark.theme.json in
lib/jalbum/system/themes/jAlbum_dark.theme.json
Again, the new theme did not show up in Tools > Preferences > Look and Feel drop down. See attached screen shot.

Am I in the wrong place?

/Roger
JeffTucker

Posts: 7,937
Registered: 31-Jan-2006
Re: Enhancement Request - more contrast in a dark theme.
Posted: 26 Jan 21, 20:41   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog
Helpful
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
After you have copied and renamed the theme JSON file, you have to edit the first line, which indicates the name.
"name": "jAlbum Dark",
If you don't change that, it will just replace the system version of jAlbum Dark.

I'm assuming you have the correct location for your config directory - I don't know where that is in Linux.
linuxrog

Posts: 278
Registered: 21-Nov-2008
Re: Enhancement Request - more contrast in a dark theme.
Posted: 26 Jan 21, 20:43   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
RobM wrote:
You can also add your own choice of themes, see Preferences>General>Look and feel

It shows where to get more themes and how to add them. I have installed X-Code Dark which has good contrast.


ROB:
While I missed the link to instructions first time, I now see that and there's no reaponse to alt when in the Prefs dialog, including when the drop-down for Look and Feel is activated - I still only see the standard options and not way to get an add on. Perhaps it's not "there" for Linux users?
RobM

Posts: 3,789
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: Enhancement Request - more contrast in a dark theme.
Posted: 26 Jan 21, 20:48   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
linuxrog wrote:
RobM wrote:
You can also add your own choice of themes, see Preferences>General>Look and feel

It shows where to get more themes and how to add them. I have installed X-Code Dark which has good contrast.

ROB:
While I missed the link to instructions first time, I now see that and there's no reaponse to alt when in the Prefs dialog, including when the drop-down for Look and Feel is activated - I still only see the standard options and not way to get an add on. Perhaps it's not "there" for Linux users?

You don’t need to use the alt key, that is only for the legacy look and feel, like Nimbus
RobM

Posts: 3,789
Registered: 4-Aug-2006
Re: Enhancement Request - more contrast in a dark theme.
Posted: 26 Jan 21, 20:51   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
linuxrog wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
Without downloading anything extra, make a "themes" folder under jAlbum's config folder and put a renamed copy of the file "jAlbum_dark.theme.json" which is found under system/themes in the program directory. Now edit this renamed copy to your liking. Changing the name is a good start. Here's a glimpse of the file so you see how straight forward it is to modify:
{
  "name": "jAlbum Dark",
  "dark": true,
  "author": "Mark Skelton, slightly modified by jAlbum",
  "editorScheme": "/themes/one_dark.xml",
  "ui": {
    "*": {
      "background": "#222222",
      "foreground": "#c4c4c4",
 
      "infoForeground": "#666666",
 
      "selectionBackground": "#3c3c3c",
      "selectionInactiveBackground": "#333333",
      "selectionBackgroundInactive": "#333333",
      "selectionForeground": "#dddddd",

When done, restart jAlbum. Your modified theme should now be visible for selection under Preferences->Look&Feel

David: I found the theme .json in (Linux) at
/lib/jalbum/system/themes/jAlbum_dark.theme.json
I copied and renamed it into /home/roger/.jalbum/themes
as rogers_dark.theme.json

it did not show in jAlbum. I tried also putting rogers_dark.theme.json in
lib/jalbum/system/themes/jAlbum_dark.theme.json
Again, the new theme did not show up in Tools > Preferences > Look and Feel drop down. See attached screen shot.

Am I in the wrong place?

/Roger

Within jAlbum use the menu to open jAlbum’s configuration folder, then add a ‘themes’ folder and add your custom theme file(s) there.
linuxrog

Posts: 278
Registered: 21-Nov-2008
Re: Enhancement Request - more contrast in a dark theme.
Posted: 26 Jan 21, 20:53   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
 
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
JEFF: Pay dirt struck. Editing the first line to rename to Rogers Dark makes it appear in the drop-down! Now I will proceed to editing to customize.

Others BEWARE: there are permission issues with the .json file. One must give one's self permissions to read / write the /themes file and its contents. The permissions from /lib... are for root and are sticky when the file is copied so one must, as root, change onwership for the folder AND the .json file.

I'll re-vist this thread after edits to the new, custom theme .json file.

Thanks all.

/Roger
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums