This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 3 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19 Nov 20, 21:32 Last Post By: davidekholm
JeffTucker

MP4 GPS
Posted: 19 Nov 20, 17:25

Click to reply to this thread Reply
The release notes for jAlbum 23 indicate that MP4 GPS is now supported, but it still seems to need some "loop closing." Here's a quick test video:

(demo video removed)

When I list metadata, I see Mp4.Latitude and Mp4.Longitude, and if I explicitly tell one of my skins to retrieve those values, it does. But they don't seem to be getting passed along to the jAlbum gpsLocation variable, which is what I suspect all map-enabled skins are looking for.

The second issue - and it's clearly a different one entirely - is that there's still no way to set a location for a video in the jAlbum Explore view and get it to "stick." Not sure how that should be handled, but I think writing xmp is the way forward. Tough nut to crack without a library that can do the writing....
davidekholm

Re: MP4 GPS
Posted: 19 Nov 20, 19:12   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:
The release notes for jAlbum 23 indicate that MP4 GPS is now supported, but it still seems to need some "loop closing." Here's a quick test video:

(demo video removed)

When I list metadata, I see Mp4.Latitude and Mp4.Longitude, and if I explicitly tell one of my skins to retrieve those values, it does. But they don't seem to be getting passed along to the jAlbum gpsLocation variable, which is what I suspect all map-enabled skins are looking for.

Right. That one slipped. Too bad that mp4 videos don't use the same EXIF "GpsDirectory" as images. I made the error of assuming some kind of standard here. I've now updated jAlbum's core jar file to detect and put these coordinates as jAlbum variables:

Longitude: -72° 55' 40,8"
Latitude: 41° 54' 14,76"
GPS location: 41.904100,-72.928000

It's called 23.0.1 now.

The second issue - and it's clearly a different one entirely - is that there's still no way to set a location for a video in the jAlbum Explore view and get it to "stick." Not sure how that should be handled, but I think writing xmp is the way forward. Tough nut to crack without a library that can do the writing....

Yes, that's another story. I may have to revert to the so called xmp sidecar files, i.e. storing xmp data in separate files for these files.
JeffTucker

Posted: 19 Nov 20, 19:17   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
I've now updated jAlbum's core jar file to detect and put these coordinates as jAlbum variables:

Works like a champ. :)

Yes, that's another story. I may have to revert to the so called xmp sidecar files, i.e. storing xmp data in separate files for these files.

Maybe just stash the data in the mydog.info file? Not as good as something that truly gets embedded in the image file, but sidecar files are nasty because they tend to get left behind when people copy things from one place to another.
davidekholm

Posted: 19 Nov 20, 21:32   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

JeffTucker wrote:

Maybe just stash the data in the mydog.info file? Not as good as something that truly gets embedded in the image file, but sidecar files are nasty because they tend to get left behind when people copy things from one place to another.

That's probably the most practical approach. The .info files are xml files just like xmp so I could stuff the xmp data as a sub-node of an .info file.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums