Permlink Replies: 74 - Pages: 5 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] - Last Post: 20-Jul-2020 00:30 Last Post By: RobM
RobM

Re: jAlbum 21 beta for testing
Posted: 19-Jul-2020 13:07   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
The wiki page gives an example of adding a custom theme, I have already added alternative look & feel, very easy to do.

Go to jetbrains and pick a theme, say white sand ui. Check the license requirements, usually just include the copyright license message.

Click on the source code link And navigate to the json file (white-sand-ui > resources > white_sand.theme.json).

Copy the json source code and paste it into a text editor, add the copyright text as a separate document then save them both as ‘white sand.json’ and ‘white sand UI license.txt’ in a themes folder within jAlbums configuration folder.

Start/restart JAlbum and select your new theme.
Laza

Posted: 19-Jul-2020 13:10   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
In my experience reading is better with dark letters on white background, while manipulating pictures is much worse with light background. I'm not sure others who write code feels the same, but for me it's much easier to overview the whole code with a dark theme. I guess jAlbum is something in between - some users probably prefer light, others dark theme, but we provide both. Perhaps we can add more light themes.
davidekholm

Posted: 19-Jul-2020 13:10   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
Guys, I take it, what annoys the most is when existing tags are mangled by the html editor. Feel free to bring this input directly to the www.quilljs.com people or suggest another html editor. As we now embed a JavaScript html editor in an embedded web browser window, we have many alternatives to choose from.

I agree that we can at least provide syntax highlighting when editing comments.
MarkusD

Posted: 19-Jul-2020 13:28   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Interesting image, especially the ‘!’ At the bottom right corner ;)
This is because when I'm using jAlbum with my notebook, I get that error because I don't have the videos on my notebook, because the SSD drive is to small (512 GB) too handle my complete "\Pictures" folder, which is "1,32 TB (1.458.961.641.472 Bytes)"

The error in this case is harmless:
Juli 19, 2020 1:21:02 PM com.sun.javafx.webkit.prism.WCMediaPlayerImpl$CreateThread run
WARNING: CreateThread ERROR: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\jAlbum\More\WebCams\slides\Video_Polarlys_-_Porjus_-_Northern_Light_Camera_3.mp4 (Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht finden)
RobM

Posted: 19-Jul-2020 13:56   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
MarkusD wrote:
RobM wrote:
Interesting image, especially the ‘!’ At the bottom right corner ;)
This is because when I'm using jAlbum with my notebook, I get that error because I don't have the videos on my notebook, because the SSD drive is to small (512 GB) too handle my complete "\Pictures" folder, which is "1,32 TB (1.458.961.641.472 Bytes)"

The error in this case is harmless:

Juli 19, 2020 1:21:02 PM com.sun.javafx.webkit.prism.WCMediaPlayerImpl$CreateThread run
WARNING: CreateThread ERROR: java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Program Files\jAlbum\More\WebCams\slides\Video_Polarlys_-_Porjus_-_Northern_Light_Camera_3.mp4 (Das System kann den angegebenen Pfad nicht finden)
Just making sure you knew about it, surprising how many fail to see it :)
MarkusD

Posted: 19-Jul-2020 14:12   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Just making sure you knew about it, surprising how many fail to see it :)
To be honest, that is no surprise at all, that small icon in the right bottom area is just out of the view and too small and with not color or anything a user will notice it. In my own application I present the users a common dialog presenting a warning or message. On the other hand it is always a tightrope walk not to bother the user with rather unimportant messages. I for my part am a fan of making the user aware of certain important things through colors. I think it would be enough to display this exclamation mark in a warning color (red or yellow). Didn't it used to be that the triangle was displayed in yellow? Maybe I am wrong too.
JeffTucker

Posted: 19-Jul-2020 14:47   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
Yes, it was somewhat more obvious in prior releases, but was easily overlooked.

It should be accompanied by the "ribbit" sound. Paste these lines into the top section of the system console, then hit CTRL-E:
	dor = new Frog();
	dor.ribbit();
Fun for the whole family. :)
JeffTucker

Posted: 19-Jul-2020 15:01   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
A modest suggestion....

There has been some talk in the various threads about the HTML editor that, "we advertised it, and it's in there now, so we can't just remove it now." Yes, you can remove it. There's no shame in saying, "We thought this would be a good idea, but it proved to be very problematic, so we're taking it out until we work out the kinks." If you took a wrong turn at the roundabout, the smart move is to turn around, go back to the roundabout, and get on the right road, or pull over near the roundabout and pull up Google maps. Dog knows I did that often enough in my fine little rental car in places like Cornwall and Dorset. ;)

MarkusD wrote:
...it would help me a lot if the panel where you write your comments was simply "smarter". In other words, there would be a syntax highlighting for HTML code, just like there is already such an editor in jAlbum.

As compensation for removing the HTML editor, perhaps tarting up the regular comment entry routine would be a good idea. Syntax highlighting would be a good start.

But I'd go one step further. What are the two things that users most often want to do with their little comments? Italicize and bold things. That's one of the most common complaints about Facebook posts - you can't do even simple styling (and when I figured out how to do it, everyone I know on FB wanted to find out how to pull it off!). So, maybe the regular comment editor could respond to CTRL-I and CTRL-B, or have them included in a context menu. The core could then provide - visibly - the HTML tags. Not WYSIWYG - just show the actual tags.

I'd stick to <i> and <b>. If you want to read a lot of complete nonsense, start poking around in the material about the difference between those tags and <em> and <strong>. It's real "how many angels can dance on the head of pin" stuff.
AndreWolff

Posted: 19-Jul-2020 15:26   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Whatever you do to replace the html editor, I hope you keep the large modal window to edit the text.
mirostar

Posted: 19-Jul-2020 16:49   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
There is no Nimbus theme or similar theme with light gray color
background for download. These dark themes are really brutal for older eyes.
I also don't like the exotic fonts in the themes for download. I will make my own theme based on the gray colors of Nimbus theme.
AndreWolff

Posted: 19-Jul-2020 16:52   in response to: mirostar in response to: mirostar
mirostar wrote:
These dark themes are really brutal for older eyes.
You are correct!
JeffTucker

Posted: 19-Jul-2020 16:53   in response to: mirostar in response to: mirostar
Nimbus is still available.

Go to Tools > Preferences > General > Look and feel. Hold down the ALT key, and click on the little down-arrow. You will see all of the old look and feel choices, along with the new ones.
RobM

Posted: 19-Jul-2020 17:54   in response to: mirostar in response to: mirostar
mirostar wrote:
There is no Nimbus theme or similar theme with light gray color
background for download. These dark themes are really brutal for older eyes.
I also don't like the exotic fonts in the themes for download. I will make my own theme based on the gray colors of Nimbus theme.
If you want to share your Nimbus style theme I think the supporting applications forum might be a good place to post.
mirostar

Posted: 19-Jul-2020 22:20   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
Really! Nimbus style theme is available ... I can see it with the "ALT key combination".
Thank you Jeff for your advice.
BTW. Nice light JetBrains theme plugins are:
1). Cyan Light Theme > https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/12102-cyan-light-theme
2). IntelliJ Light Theme > https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/12697-intellij-light-theme
RobM

Posted: 20-Jul-2020 00:30   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Guys, I take it, what annoys the most is when existing tags are mangled by the html editor. Feel free to bring this input directly to the www.quilljs.com people or suggest another html editor. As we now embed a JavaScript html editor in an embedded web browser window, we have many alternatives to choose from.

There is an interesting addition to quill, HTML edit button - though the button is only visible if you hover over it (Mac OS).

I added it by adding
<script src="quill.htmlEditButton.min.js"></script>
to the end of editor.html's head section. Then, just before initialising the editor, added
Quill.register("modules/htmlEditButton", htmlEditButton);
. Then alter the new Quill editor to
var quill = new Quill("#editor", {
	modules: {
	  toolbar: {
		container: toolbarOptions
	  },
	  htmlEditButton: {}
	},
	theme: "snow"
  });

Finally, added the attached javascript file to jAlbum's system folder.

The new icon appears at the right hand end of the other icons - at least it does when hovering the mouse over where it should be. Pity it doesn't have syntax highlighting.

Is it possible upon closing the editor to have jAlbum process the comments? If yes, then a very dirty hack would be to override the default paragraph tag with a unique tag, like
<jalbum>edited text goes here</jalbum>
. Then the jalbum tags could be stripped out of the comments. Overriding the default and including the jalbum tag is easy to do.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums