This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 53 - Pages: 4 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 ] - Last Post: 19 Jul 20, 13:35 Last Post By: MarkusD
JeffTucker

Re: Album Preferences Windows
Posted: 18 Jul 20, 16:00   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

Click to reply to this thread Reply
MarkusD wrote:
The user sets the window to a size of 1200x800 pixels.

The Settings window is automatically set to the correct size for the panels that it contains. It works perfectly. Making it smaller triggers nasty scrollbars (or in some skins, makes some of the settings completely inaccessible). Making it larger just adds a bunch of empty space around the contents. Why would anyone ever want to make it a different size? Sorry, but I just don't understand the use case here.
PeterGibb

Posted: 18 Jul 20, 17:03   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Blimey!

I think all I would like to 'see', is a window, including all of its 'frame', be it in 'Settings' or anywhere else, that at least fits my screen so that I can see 'all' that it contains, I have no problems with the scroll bars, its just that I can't actually see the 'Ok' and 'Cancel'
buttons that reside within the frames area but outside the scroll-able area.

At the moment the 'Ok' and 'Cancel' buttons need the entire window to be re-positioned
just to enable their use

Regards Peter
JeffTucker

Posted: 18 Jul 20, 18:01   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

I'll start a new, separate bug thread about this, just to keep it from getting tangled in other semi-related things.

Edited by: jGromit on 18-Jul-2020 12:20
JeffTucker

Posted: 18 Jul 20, 18:41   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

Peter, just out of curiosity, what happens if you set your Windows taskbar to auto-hide? I have a suspicion this might be the root of the problem.
PeterGibb

Posted: 18 Jul 20, 20:09   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Interesting...

Okeydoke

Here is a list of steps I just took, the result being that the jAlbum window is resized, its smaller and sitting snug on top of the task bar and snug at the top of the screen, I can see it all, it's a perfect fit !....

WIndows 10

jAlbum is running

Go to Windows Settings - Taskbar

All the settings in there are set to - OFF

Set Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode - ON

Open jAlbums 'Settings' window - It is too low

Leave it Open

Go back to Windows Settings - Taskbar

Set Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode - OFF

Go back to the jAlbum Settings window - All is snug on top of the task bar and snug to the top off the screen... A perfect fit.

However...

Now close the jAlbum Settings window and reopen it, all is back as it was - Too low!

I have no idea whats happening

Regards, Peter
JeffTucker

Posted: 18 Jul 20, 20:40   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

Yes, puzzling symptoms, but you can't leave jAlbum running while you tinker with the Windows taskbar settings. At that point, jAlbum has probably already queried the O.S. about the status of the taskbar. You can change the taskbar, but for jAlbum, it's too late - it doesn't have any way of knowing that you've changed something in Windows.

So, without jAlbum running, set the taskbar to auto-hide. Now launch jAlbum and see how it behaves. Close jAlbum. Set the taskbar back to non-hiding. Launch jAlbum and see how it behaves.

But at least it's a tip-off that my hunch is heading in the right direction - it's the Windows taskbar that isn't being properly accounted for.
PeterGibb

Posted: 18 Jul 20, 21:05   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I understand what you have said there.

After doing that, jAlbum itself, ie the main jAlbum environment, is as always,fine.

Its the Settings window that doesn't seem to be doing what it should, in the sense
thats it forgets where the top of the screen and the top of the taskbar is.

As upon restarting jAlbum, the Settings window is too low even when the 'Hide' the taskbar option is set to On or Off, I notice it has dropped off the top of the screen as well.

It seems that doing the steps earlier, the Settings window did actually change its size to fit perfectly at one stage, but that was lost when I closed the Settings window...
JeffTucker

Posted: 18 Jul 20, 21:18   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

Well, you and I between us won't be able to fix this, but maybe we've given David enough info so he can dig into it.
MarkusD

Posted: 19 Jul 20, 13:35   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
The user sets the window to a size of 1200x800 pixels.

The Settings window is automatically set to the correct size for the panels that it contains. It works perfectly. Making it smaller triggers nasty scrollbars (or in some skins, makes some of the settings completely inaccessible). Making it larger just adds a bunch of empty space around the contents. Why would anyone ever want to make it a different size? Sorry, but I just don't understand the use case here.

You are right, the Settings window right now (in use with the Tiger skin) is OK regarding the size.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums