This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 53 - Pages: 4 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 19-Jul-2020 13:35 Last Post By: MarkusD
JeffTucker

Re: Album Preferences Windows
Posted: 04-Jul-2020 14:53   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Click to reply to this thread Reply
davidekholm wrote:
I don't think it's good to keep multiple settings columns....

I couldn't disagree more.

All monitors are landscape mode. The jAlbum Preferences panels are all portrait mode. The first one is too tall on a standard laptop, even with the system default L&F - it's even worse with some of the new L&F choices.

As a quick fix, I'd just put all those JCheckBoxes at the bottom into two columns. As long as they're tabbed, you'd get a clean layout that's many pixels shorter.

Virtually every skin has settings panels that are landscape oriented. Some of them are messy because the skin developer hasn't done the layout properly, but it's possible to make them very monitor-friendly and also orthogonal.
davidekholm

Posted: 07-Jul-2020 11:53   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
I don't think it's good to keep multiple settings columns....

I couldn't disagree more.

All monitors are landscape mode. The jAlbum Preferences panels are all portrait mode. The first one is too tall on a standard laptop, even with the system default L&F - it's even worse with some of the new L&F choices.

As a quick fix, I'd just put all those JCheckBoxes at the bottom into two columns. As long as they're tabbed, you'd get a clean layout that's many pixels shorter.

I'm open to reconsider, at least for a chunk of checkboxes ;-). I've updated the beta core jar (http://jalbum.net/download/beta/jalbum-core.jar) to use 2 columns for the preferences checkboxes now. Looks neat.
davidekholm

Posted: 07-Jul-2020 11:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

By the way, although it's very easy to get along with jAlbum's own RiverLayout, spending some time with the more flexible MigLayout engine can pay off. These checkboxes where added like this:
        JPanel checkboxes = new JPanel(new MigLayout("wrap 2"));
        checkboxes.add(checkSpelling);
        checkboxes.add(closeProgressDialog);
        checkboxes.add(checkForUpdates);
        checkboxes.add(showWarnings);
        checkboxes.add(showTipOfTheDay);
        checkboxes.add(rememberWindowBounds);
        checkboxes.add(rememberLastSelectedItem);
        checkboxes.add(backupProjects);
        checkboxes.add(thumbnailsInFileChooser);
        checkboxes.add(saveOnMakeAlbum);
PeterGibb

Posted: 07-Jul-2020 12:47   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

My Word thats much better, ever so much. Heavens I never thought
it would be such an amazing difference.

Thankyou David, I have no idea what a MigLayout is other than
a workshop full of welder's!.

Interesting that it may pay off in the future though and am glad to think
that me being an utter pain may have been helpful after all...

Thank You

Regards, Peter
JeffTucker

Posted: 07-Jul-2020 12:50   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Looks neat.

And more important, it's almost 100px shorter. Do the same trick on the Album tab, or maybe remove a couple of the items on that one (the two Skins options - see my other thread on this subject), and you'd be home free for the foreseeable future. ;)
JeffTucker

Posted: 07-Jul-2020 13:01   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Attachment boxes.png (30,2 KB)
davidekholm wrote:
By the way, although it's very easy to get along with jAlbum's own RiverLayout, spending some time with the more flexible MigLayout engine can pay off.

I'll have to look at that some time. I usually manage to wrestle RiverLayout to the ground, though getting orthogonal boxes (like the attached screenshot) ends up requiring an ungodly amount of panel nesting.

Or maybe the clueless hack who did RiverLayout will return and fix some of its shortcomings.
davidekholm

Posted: 07-Jul-2020 19:40   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:

Or maybe the clueless hack who did RiverLayout will return and fix some of its shortcomings.

:-) There's an unofficial version called RiverLayout2 that's rewritten and doesn't have some of the features and bugs of RiverLayout
PeterGibb

Posted: 15-Jul-2020 19:21   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Hello...

I have taken advantage of the jAlbum early renewal discounts and jAlbum 21 is as expected, brilliant, thanks for doing this 'Preferences' window issue as it now fits well and works beautifully.

When theres time, all thats needed to top it off would be to apply whatever it was that has been done to preferences, to the 'Settings' window as well, as that now is off the bottom of my screen, though I can just see a bit more of the OK and Cancel buttons, but it looks pretty naff and in a way lets jAlbum down...

Thankyou for dealing with this though, its much appreciated

Regards, Peter
JeffTucker

Posted: 15-Jul-2020 19:40   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

PeterGibb wrote:
When theres time, all thats needed to top it off would be to apply whatever it was that has been done to preferences, to the 'Settings' window as well, as that now is off the bottom of my screen, though I can just see a bit more of the OK and Cancel buttons, but it looks pretty naff and in a way lets jAlbum down...

I think you'll find that's skin-dependent. For example, launch jAlbum and choose Minimal. Now look at the Settings window. Everything is accessible, right? But if you choose a different skin, you'll get a different-sized Settings window.

In all of my current skins I've tried to be careful not to create settings panels that will be too tall on a normal laptop. But other skins don't necessarily do that. They should at least put their settings into a scrolling panel, so you can get to everything by scrolling up and down. But not all skins do.

And some of this has been made a little worse by some of the new "look and feel" choices, which result in somewhat larger panels. Go back to the System default look and feel for Windows, for example, which is the most compact of the bunch.
PeterGibb

Posted: 15-Jul-2020 20:03   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit

Thanks for that hint, I only use one layout once I have found the one that looks as I like.

Yes, it now shows things far better.

I have gone back to what I had though as I prefer the dark look and feel about things.

I know this will sound silly, but would that not suggest that the screen boundary's would have limits, limits that should be thought of as important when it comes to design, maybe!

Irrespective of whether its a skin or the program itself these issues of actually fitting the screen I would have thought were quite important and it seems they arn't, which I find a bit strange.

I guess I shall just have to live with it, even though it really does look absolutely naff, specially when its now got the Preferences window as a rule of thumb.!

I am sorry, I am not having a moan, again, but just dont understand why all the fantastic stuff thats going on here now seems to be happening so fast as to overtake the development of other things, like a neater window and one that remembers its size...

Regards, Peter
MarkusD

Posted: 18-Jul-2020 12:39   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

PeterGibb wrote:... and one that remembers its size...
I would definitely support this statement. Every application should remember the position and, if it can be changed, also the size. Just look at the new HTML WYSIWYG editor. It opens in a size of 806x683 points. The first question is, why? You could open the window in a size of 640x480 pixels, that would be compatible with VGA. <g> The second question is, if you now enlarge the window and close it again and open it again, it is 806x683 again. Um, honestly now? Please, it's really not hard to have jAlbum write the size and position of every window in the configuration file. Thanks.
JeffTucker

Posted: 18-Jul-2020 13:36   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

MarkusD wrote:
...to have jAlbum write the size and position of every window in the configuration file.

But not the Settings window! That's determined by the actual content of the skin tab within the settings. You really, really don't want it to remember that it was a certain size when using Tiger, then use that same size for Pluto. It would be a real mess.

(I saw how bad that could be when one skin, many years ago, forced the window size and got the O.S. to remember it. It was a tall, oversized window, and when using any other skin, you got the same horribly sized window until you shut down jAlbum and restarted it. Awful.)
MarkusD

Posted: 18-Jul-2020 13:56   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
...to have jAlbum write the size and position of every window in the configuration file.
But not the Settings window! That's determined by the actual content of the skin tab within the settings. You really, really don't want it to remember that it was a certain size when using Tiger, then use that same size for Pluto. It would be a real mess.

The objection is absolutely justified. But the solution is quite simple. Every skin remembers the size and position of the "Settings" window itself. ;-)

Example:
[SizePosTfrmTiger]
PixelsPerInch=96
MinMaxPos(4960x1604)=-1,-1,-1
MinMaxPos=-1,-1,-1
NormPos(4960x1604)=50,50,2510,1550
NormPos=50,50,2510,1550

[SizePosTfrmTurtle]
PixelsPerInch=96
MinMaxPos(4960x1604)=-1,-1,-1
MinMaxPos=-1,-1,-1
NormPos(4960x1604)=50,50,2510,1550
NormPos=50,50,2510,1550
JeffTucker

Posted: 18-Jul-2020 14:12   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

But the required minimum size often changes if the skin is updated, or if jAlbum is updated (one recent change added 11 pixels to the height of every window). The size changes if you make a different "look and feel" choice. The size changes if you select a different font size in the preferences. The size might change if you switch languages. It's even possible for the size of the settings window to change if you select a different style within the skin (rare, but I know exactly what situation produces it).

It's a moving target. This is not as "simple" as you imagine. ;)
MarkusD

Posted: 18-Jul-2020 14:35   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
It's a moving target. This is not as "simple" as you imagine. ;)
Absolutely, yes. My users also often say, "that can't be that difficult to implement". ;-) In this case I still don't imagine it to be that complicated. The user sets the window to a size of 1200x800 pixels. A new version of jAlbum or the skin appears and the minimum size would now be 1400x900. But where is the problem? As a user I just pull the window a bit bigger and everything is fine again.

But there is indeed a very nasty trap that one of my users once stepped into. He works with his notebook at his workplace with two large monitors (24" each). One window is on the right monitor in the lower right corner. He ends the program. The next day he sits in the conference room with just the notebook and opens the dialog. But now the saved location is completely outside the visible area. Of course no user knows the trick with <Alt><Tab> of each window to call a menu that always appears, even if the dialog is completely invisible, and then to move the window into the visible area with <Move>.

We solved the problem by saving the position and size of the dialogs per screen resolution.

We have a saying, "Where there is a will, there is a way" ;-)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums