Permlink Replies: 74 - Pages: 5 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] - Last Post: 20-Jul-2020 00:30 Last Post By: RobM
davidekholm

Re: jAlbum 21 beta for testing
Posted: 15-Jul-2020 13:58   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
  Click to reply to this thread Reply
jGromit wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
jGromit wrote:
What happened to Minimal 7.1.5?

(And while you're at it, update the skin page for it: https://jalbum.net/skins/skin/Minimal/)

Oops. Will include

If you would just update the skin page, this would pretty much take care of itself.

Now fixed
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Jul-2020 13:58   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
jAlbum 21 is out now!
AndreWolff

Posted: 15-Jul-2020 18:35   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Please explain what type of code I can expect in base.css
RobM

Posted: 15-Jul-2020 18:55   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
Look at what is appended to your own common.css file, or use minimal skin if easier.
AndreWolff

Posted: 15-Jul-2020 19:14   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Look at what is appended to your own common.css file, or use minimal skin if easier.
No I don't update to the new version before I know what unwanted code is added to my skins!

Edited by: AndreWolff on 15-Jul-2020 19:16
JeffTucker

Posted: 15-Jul-2020 19:33   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
Remember, your users are going to update to jAlbum 21 whether you do or not.
RobM

Posted: 15-Jul-2020 19:36   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
/* Begin base.css */
.ql-align-center { text-align: center; }
.ql-align-right { text-align: right; }
.ql-align-justify { text-align: justify; }
.ql-indent-1 { padding-left: 3em; }
.ql-indent-2 { padding-left: 6em; }
.ql-indent-3 { padding-left: 9em; }
.ql-indent-4 { padding-left: 12em; }
.ql-indent-5 { padding-left: 15em; }
.ql-indent-6 { padding-left: 18em; }
.ql-indent-7 { padding-left: 21em; }
.ql-indent-8 { padding-left: 24em; }
.ql-indent-9 { padding-left: 27em; }
.ql-indent-10 { padding-left: 30em; }
/* End base.css */
AndreWolff

Posted: 15-Jul-2020 20:02   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
jGromit wrote:
Note to all users of my skins: DO NOT USE THE NEW HTML EDITOR. It will make a mess of your projects, and you'll have to spend a lot of time manually fixing things.
I use in my skins the same technique for replacing line breaks, so also users of the FancyBox skin, the PhotoSwipe skin and the Slide Show 4 skin, should also not use the new HTML editor!

Edit: I just tried this HTML editer and indeed it is a disaster if used in existing albums!

Edited by: AndreWolff on 15-Jul-2020 22:19
AndreWolff

Posted: 15-Jul-2020 22:17   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
jAlbum 21 is out now!
Please do an update with hint for all symbols used in your HTML editor, normal users will not understand these symbols!
AndreWolff

Posted: 15-Jul-2020 22:52   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Attachment HTMLEditor.PNG (168,9 KB)
Attachment HTML_code.PNG (33,6 KB)
I tested the HTML editor, the users sees the Editor window as displayed in screenshot HTMLEditor.PNG, The generated code is displayed in screenshot HTML_code.PNG but after a make he sees this,

You see that he does not get what he sees, because the skin uses also html code to format the description.
JeffTucker

Posted: 16-Jul-2020 01:01   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
This is a fundamentally flawed idea. Until jAlbum 21, all CSS for an album was generated by the skin. As skin developers, this is what we do. We live and breathe this stuff. We really don't need to have the jAlbum core doing us the "favor" of providing problematic CSS.

Now we have the jAlbum core cranking out CSS without any regard to how it will work within a skin. The jAlbum core has no idea what the skin will do with this CSS, and the skin has no idea what the jAlbum core is going to be sending to it. And it's all essentially uncontrollable.

But I'll wager a fair amount of money that David will never remove this abomination from the core. He will keep trying to find ways to make it work, and the skin developers will have to go to great lengths to keep this pollution out of their skins.

It wouldn't be nearly as maddening as it is, except for the fact that we've been down this road before, in other contexts.
AndreWolff

Posted: 16-Jul-2020 08:54   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Well David, I think you should remove the indent possibility from the HTML editor, because that is not used by most users and you can remove in that case the base.css code I think.

But you should add text alignment: Left, Centered, Right.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 16-Jul-2020 08:54
AndreWolff

Posted: 16-Jul-2020 09:08   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
jGromit wrote:
jGromit wrote:
The HTML editor inserts some unwanted <p> tags....

It's even worse than I thought. Say a user enters this as his comment, in the regular jAlbum edit mode:

This is line 1.
This is line 2.
This is line 3.
In my skins, the image comment, whether for a thumbnail or slide image, will appear exactly as he's entered it - three lines of text.
You can prevent this by applying a routine like this:
String formatDescription(String description) {	
  if ((description.indexOf("<br")<0) && (description.indexOf("</")<0)) {
    description= description.replaceAll("\n","<br>");
  }
  return description;
}
JeffTucker

Posted: 16-Jul-2020 12:24   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff
AndreWolff wrote:
But you should add text alignment: Left, Centered, Right.

Those are already in there - click the alignment icon, and you'll get a drop-down list.

But those are also a disaster when inserted into many skins, as I have shown.

This "feature" needs to be removed.
RobM

Posted: 16-Jul-2020 12:32   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker
jGromit wrote:
This "feature" needs to be removed.
It should at least be enabled/disabled as a skin property setting. Then the bundled skins can support it and third party developers can choose to, or not.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums