This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 53 - Pages: 4 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 19 Jul 20, 13:35 Last Post By: MarkusD
JeffTucker

Re: Album Preferences Windows
Posted: 1 Jun 20, 14:05   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

Click to reply to this thread Reply
PeterGibb wrote:
The scroll bars only seem to move the options in their part of the window,
the buttons stay where they are...

This is why I start changing the layout when things get too tall (and I wasn't aware that the Darcula look-and-feel was consuming more screen real estate - I need to revisit some of my skin panels!).

On quick fix is to set your Windows taskbar to auto-hide. That will buy you some more space, even though it's sort of annoying to have the taskbar popping up and down.
PeterGibb

Posted: 1 Jun 20, 15:49   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thats a good idea, I hadn't realised you could do that, it is annoying though.

Thanks for the tip!

I know I shouldn't say as you all have so much to do with other things, but being
able to resize these windows and then it be remembered would sort it
out straight away for anybody, wouldn't it ?.

What it takes to do though is something else entirely and I have no idea.

Thanks for that tip though, it will be handy

Regards, Peter
JeffTucker

Posted: 1 Jun 20, 16:19   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

Well, the real solution is to modify the layouts to make sure that none of the settings panels triggers scrolling on a typical laptop, at least with the System default and Darcula look-and-feel.

Tough to deal with on a Mac, however, because the standard look-and-feel is a bit of a disaster. The biggest of my skin panels is 671px tall in Windows, but over 100px more than that on a Mac. I'm in the midst of slimming it down a bit - too close for comfort. Still fits on my Macbook Air, however, since the viewport is slightly larger than a Windows laptop. But the Apple folks seem to think that everyone has a 27" iMac. ;)
PeterGibb

Posted: 3 Jun 20, 20:40   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Mmm, I wondered if it would be a big job to do, well, thanks
for the info, I hope maybe sometime in the future this can
be sorted out.

Kind Regards, Peter
JeffTucker

Posted: 3 Jun 20, 20:46   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

Should be fairly easy for the settings panels - the ones in the jAlbum core don't have a lot of stuff on them, so a little two-column layout would take care of it in a couple of minutes.

The tougher ones to deal with are the context menus (right-click on a thumbnail, for example). Those are turning into real monsters, and there's no easy way to tame them.
PeterGibb

Posted: 3 Jun 20, 21:14   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

As a just user of jAlbum I must say the Settings Window is great because
everything is in there, well, a lot of stuff anyway, I dont know if its possible to fire up that
windows relevant tab from a drop down menu with some targets in it but that would be pretty slick.

Opening the Settings window from down at the lower left of the screen, as now, is
also very good.

I just see it as a bit of jAlbum house keeping and that it would be very nice if it was cleaned up thats all..

jAlbum is indeed a such wonderful program, its come a very long way, and
it would be worth it!

Thanks to everybody involved

Kind Regards, Peter
davidekholm

Posted: 30 Jun 20, 12:59   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

Hi Peter. What do you mean by "windows relevant tab"? You can usually quickly access popular settings by hitting CTRL+Space and then type the name of the setting you want to locate.
PeterGibb

Posted: 30 Jun 20, 13:44   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Hello David

I had to sit and reflect a bit with that one, as my wording isn't very precise really.

Rewrite...

"As a just user of jAlbum I must say the 'Album Settings' window is great because
everything is in there, well, a lot of stuff anyway, ie General, Images, Pages, Effects, Advanced etc and I wondered if it might be possible to load the existing 'Tools' > 'Preferences' drop down menu, from another new icon within this 'Album Settings window', as there does seem to be plenty of space one along the top for it to go".

Maybe,

But if all that is not possible, it would be nice if the 'Tools' > 'Preferences' drop down menu could be resized, and also remember its size, so that I will then be able to see the 'OK' and 'Cancel' options which are not visible on my screen...

Regards, Peter

Edited by: PeterGibb on 30-Jun-2020 12:45
JeffTucker

Posted: 30 Jun 20, 13:54   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

PeterGibb wrote:
"As a just user of jAlbum I must say the 'Album Settings' window is great because
everything is in there, well, a lot of stuff anyway, ie General, Images, Pages, Effects, Advanced etc and I wondered if it might be possible to load the existing 'Tools' > 'Preferences' drop down menu, from another new icon within this 'Album Settings window', as there does seem to be plenty of space one along the top for it to go".

The catch is that those icons - General, Images, etc. - all apply only to the active project, and aren't visible at all when you first launch jAlbum. The Preferences settings are for the whole application, and need to be accessible whether you have a project open or not. I don't think I'd want to see them in two different places.

But yes, the whole Preferences panel needs to be "horizontalized" - all monitors are landscape mode, not portrait!
PeterGibb

Posted: 30 Jun 20, 14:30   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thanks jGromit

I am feeling out of my depth, I appreciate and totally agree with those comments, I didn't
realise they were different.

I think all I would like to be able to do, is actually see the 'Ok' and 'Cancel'
options, hopefully though that's not too much to ask..

I can use keyboard short cuts but I forget thing's a lot now and though my eyesight is still perfectly fine, thing's are changing..

Kind Regard's, Peter
JeffTucker

Posted: 30 Jun 20, 14:49   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

Actually, I misspoke. Even without an open project, you can still hit the Settings button, and access the "big" icons like General, Images, and so on. So, the Preferences could be put with those.

Not sure which way I'd like it better - big icons are easier to deal with than toolbar menus.

ETA: But upon reflection, the Preferences probably need to stay where they are. The "big icons" are all Album Settings (should be relabeled Project Settings, IMO), and the things on the Preferences menu don't apply only to the current project. So, apples and oranges.
davidekholm

Posted: 30 Jun 20, 15:18   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I don't think it's good UI design to access Preferences from Settings as these two windows are materially different: Settings control album setting and Preferences control the behavior of the software itself (look and feel, language, logging level etc). However, the CTRL+Space option or clicking the magnifying glass in the corner of jAlbum's window allows you to search for anything within the software.
PeterGibb

Posted: 2 Jul 20, 21:35   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Hello,

Yes I can and do use the search facility, specially when opening
my albums now, its very good and its one shortcut I can always remember.

What it doesn't do though is enable me to see the 'Ok' or 'Cancel' options
at the base of the Preferences area once I've used the search facility to get there...

Would it be possible to change Preferences from Portrait to Landscape ? As that would help, a LOT.

Kind Regards, Peter
davidekholm

Posted: 4 Jul 20, 12:52   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

I don't think it's good to keep multiple settings columns, but I'll try to make the window less tall.
PeterGibb

Posted: 4 Jul 20, 13:08   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Attachment Preferences.png (38.5 KB)
Hi David,

Thanks, I said I thought I was out of my depth but do understand.

It would however just be nice to see the two buttons without having to
faff around resizing and moving the window to enable that to happen.

I have no problem at all using the scroll bars to see content, for the preferences
to open at a slightly different size, then that would be just great. Thanks.

Here is a picture, just to show, and all is no problem at all.

Regards, Peter
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums