This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 6 Nov 19, 14:55 Last Post By: fotofun2
fotofun2

Sharing issue with Facebook
Posted: 3 Nov 19, 11:58

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attempted to share the completed Lucid theme Album for Butterflies and received an interesting error: Warning
Invalid App ID: The provided app ID does not look like a valid app ID.

User ID: fotofun2
URL: http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/album/1955865
Title of Album: fotofun2.jalbum.net/Butterflies with Lucid-Test New Theme
Laza

Re: Sharing issue with Facebook
Posted: 3 Nov 19, 16:57   in response to: fotofun2 in response to: fotofun2

"PhotoMarketingUSA" is not a valid App ID for sure. Must be a long string of numbers and letters. You can create a new app here: https://developers.facebook.com/apps (the link next to the related box points here too)
fotofun2

Posted: 5 Nov 19, 23:16   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

If one is to assume that clicking on the "Share to Facebook" option should work with the Facebook Page ID is used to define where the share should take place as it does with Twitter, LinkedIN, and Pinterest, then your process code should create the correct series of code indicators for Facebook to accept the share. There are a number of people who expect that to work for them and don't want to go to the Developer area to play with something they don't understand or even want to learn how to do. For instance, I share articles from various publications to my Facebook account to various pages which I own such as https://www.facebook.com/PhotoMarketingUSA/. Facebook doesn't tell me what the numbers and letters coding is for that address so why should I go to a developer section to define a new set of coding markers to achieve that function? I ask this because people viewing my Albums generally are not coders - ordinary people who want to share a photo or link to their Facebook timelines. Asking them to become nerds is preposterous.
fotofun2

Posted: 5 Nov 19, 23:24   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

If one is to assume that clicking on the "Share to Facebook" option should work with the Facebook Page ID is used to define where the share should take place as it does with Twitter, LinkedIN, and Pinterest, then your process code should create the correct series of code indicators for Facebook to accept the share. There are a number of people who expect that to work for them and don't want to go to the Developer area to play with something they don't understand or even want to learn how to do. For instance, I share articles from various publications to my Facebook account to various pages which I own such as https://www.facebook.com/PhotoMarketingUSA/. Facebook doesn't tell me what the numbers and letters coding is for that address so why should I go to a developer section to define a new set of coding markers to achieve that function? I ask this because people viewing my Albums generally are not coders - ordinary people who want to share a photo or link to their Facebook timelines. Asking them to become nerds is preposterous.
JeffTucker

Posted: 5 Nov 19, 23:30   in response to: fotofun2 in response to: fotofun2

No one is expecting your site visitors to get FB sharing codes.

But when you click on a "share this" link on some other site, the people who created that site have, indeed, gotten a proper FB ID. Your album is your site, and if you want a FB link on that site to work, it has to be registered with FB.
fotofun2

Posted: 6 Nov 19, 00:04   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I went to one of my albums, http://jalbum.net/en/browse/user/album/1891864, and used the share option for Facebook. It works there but then that skin is Projector. For Lucid, however, the share function behaves differently in the way I perceived; which turns out to be a misinterpretation of what I was attempting to do.

What I interpreted with the way the "Control bar" and sub-section "Social" behaves with the Facebook App ID was that if I provided the Page ID where I wanted people viewing to post the share rather than selecting a Page or Account of their choice, the skin would provide the correct coding for that Page. After attempting to duplicate the error and could not, I discovered and surmised after reviewing the link you provided that one would have to be versed in understanding the process as a coder would. Thus, I can fix my issue easily though someone else who really doesn't want to deal with coding nor becoming a true developer might assume something completely different just as I did. Thus, this part of the Lucid Skin is more for an advanced user who really can understand the parameters necessary for this Facebook App ID to work. I see the bright red star you have on that section though have no clue what it means since it isn't displayed anywhere else.

I'm not interested in creating a Facebook App at this point in time, thus I'll remove that information from the section which generated that error message though could not recreate it 30-mins earlier this evening.
Laza

Posted: 6 Nov 19, 08:08   in response to: fotofun2 in response to: fotofun2

The App ID requirement has been added after the 2016 US elections manipulations. Not your visitors but you who have to register your site (your FB page) in order to be able to use FB's sharing tools. Older pages with deprecated API's might work for a while but if you are creating a new album you probably want to work it the next month too. Sorry, this is the deal FB forced upon us: no App, no Sharing.
fotofun2

Posted: 6 Nov 19, 14:54   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

I'm not going to bother with the App ID. Instead, I'll leave it blank. That way, the person sharing will be able to do so easily once they sign in to Facebook. It works because I tested it without the App ID and leaving that field blank. I was able to actually share one page/slide to one section of Facebook after I was logged into it. And other page/slide to a different section.

With the way Facebook has been changing how they do things, having to chase done broken Albums because of how they do stuff is a waste of my time when I could be doing more productive stuff like managing ten Facebook pages for various target markets as well as organizations which entrust that work to me.

Edited by: fotofun2 on 06-Nov-2019 14:54
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums