Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 113 - Pages: 8 [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] - Last Post: 30-Sep-2019 19:30 Last Post By: davidekholm
davidekholm

Re: jAlbum 18.5 beta for testing
Posted: 22-Sep-2019 17:48   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:

If I have the preference window open and it has the focus then the keyboard shortcut CTRL + SPACE does not work, you need to click on the search icon. Clicking on the icon works, but in my initial test I happened to have the preference window above the search bar, so it looked like it wasn't working - I'll make a note of windows possibly obscuring the search bar in the wiki.

I'll see if I can make that shortcut work. This behavior is odd (on my Mac at least): When the Preferences window is in focus, it disables menu shortcuts. Visually, it seems like the menu bar responds to shortcuts bound to menus, but no action is taken.

An odd one is the upload manager window, it is searchable (step 1) but when it is actually open none of the search methods open the search bar.

True. The upload manager is modal now (since some versions back), i.e. it blocks all other input while it's being displayed (apart from the system console). I had to make it modal in order to work around a bug.
RobM

Posted: 22-Sep-2019 17:57   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I've finally been able to rewrite the search bar so it behaves properly now. Just grab the updated beta file and test.
I always use my external tool to grab beta core updates (which includes any updated default texts) as it is easier to update that way. Do you think it worth pointing beta testers to the tool, rather than pasting a link in each beta update thread?
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Sep-2019 18:37   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
davidekholm wrote:
I've finally been able to rewrite the search bar so it behaves properly now. Just grab the updated beta file and test.
I always use my external tool to grab beta core updates (which includes any updated default texts) as it is easier to update that way. Do you think it worth pointing beta testers to the tool, rather than pasting a link in each beta update thread?

Yes, perhaps it is. I guess I should include it
jGromit

Posted: 22-Sep-2019 19:33   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:

In some quick testing, it's looking solid, and very useful. Even after all these years, I still have trouble remembering where things are. It's even worse in my own skins because they have a lot of the same stuff, but organized differently. A good searcher helps.
davidekholm

Posted: 22-Sep-2019 21:39   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:

In some quick testing, it's looking solid, and very useful. Even after all these years, I still have trouble remembering where things are. It's even worse in my own skins because they have a lot of the same stuff, but organized differently. A good searcher helps.

Happy to hear! And now it's even more useful as I've added the ability to quickly open album projects located either under "My Albums" or "Recent projects" by simply typing the name of the album project. (A check is also performed that the project exists before it's even added to the menu). Just get the latest beta! :-)
RobM

Posted: 22-Sep-2019 23:02   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
And now it's even more useful as I've added the ability to quickly open album projects located either under "My Albums" or "Recent projects" by simply typing the name of the album project. (A check is also performed that the project exists before it's even added to the menu). Just get the latest beta! :-)
Works great, even when playing dirty - That is with the bundled Sample portfolio and a copy of it in My Albums, the bundled project is only opened if you select the 'recent projects' entry and that project was opened after the local copy.

It would be nice, I think, to be able to call up the bundled Sample portfolio via the search, with the result showing 'jAlbum' or 'Sample' in the path - just to make it easy to access.
davidekholm

Posted: 23-Sep-2019 10:53   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
You should always be able to find "Sample Portfolio" under the "My Albums" path. I don't think it's good to encourage users to open the bundled original cause one shouldn't write to those files apart from when jAlbum is being installed.
RobM

Posted: 23-Sep-2019 11:52   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
You should always be able to find "Sample Portfolio" under the "My Albums" path. I don't think it's good to encourage users to open the bundled original cause one shouldn't write to those files apart from when jAlbum is being installed.
For a while I ‘lost’ the Sample portfolio from My Albums, but having reset everything it is automatically appearing again. I must of done something naughty at some point ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 23-Sep-2019 12:34   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
Question: Should I present the album projects separately under the "My Albums" and "Recent projects" paths as I do now or simply merge them into one "Projects" path? I think the latter is more clean. Otherwise you usually get double entries when you search for projects that appear both under "My Albums" and "Recent Projects"
jGromit

Posted: 23-Sep-2019 14:38   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I vote for just Projects.

When I tested, I was initially surprised to see it pop up a result in My Albums. I have two directories - My Albums contains a few real projects, and Temp Albums contains all my little tests, most of them disposable. So I usually have the My Albums location pointing to Temp Albums. I expected the search result to be, for example, Temp Albums - tigerTest.

Having the results simply showing Projects avoids confusion when the user has his projects in some non-standard location.

ETA: Of course, you know what some users are going ask for. They're going to want jAlbum to search their entire hard drive, and find all album projects.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Sep-2019 15:06   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
ETA: Of course, you know what some users are going ask for. They're going to want jAlbum to search their entire hard drive, and find all album projects.

This might be workable. On launch, jAlbum could start doing a little background search of the User directory to find projects. The searcher could then look at Recent Projects, the My Albums location, and the User directory.

That wouldn't find projects in other locations, like the rest of the C: drive or an auxiliary drive, but it shouldn't do that, anyway. Searching the entire C: drive would be fairly laborious. And I'm sure there are users like me who have, for example, an F: drive that's used for backups - I don't want jAlbum leading me to backup copies of current projects, which would be a recipe for trouble!
RobM

Posted: 23-Sep-2019 17:23   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Question: Should I present the album projects separately under the "My Albums" and "Recent projects" paths as I do now or simply merge them into one "Projects" path? I think the latter is more clean. Otherwise you usually get double entries when you search for projects that appear both under "My Albums" and "Recent Projects"
Just being the Devil’s advocate, there could be users who have projects with a common name but stored in and outside of My Albums. How would such a user know which location such a project name came from (before opening it) - and as it would be ‘bad practice’ would it matter?
davidekholm

Posted: 24-Sep-2019 21:01   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
I've now rewritten the search bar so it's more extensible
  • Album projects from My Albums and Recent Albums are now displayed merged under a "Projects" path (different projects with same name will cause double entries)
  • The search bar now also searches the current album project for files and folders. I've tested with a project containing > 30.000 items and it performs fine. It's now super fast to locate objects given that you know part of the file name.

To try this beta, replace lib/jalbum-core.jar with this one and texts/texts.properties with this one
What do you think?

Note: I had to change the code that manages jAlbum's folder tree in order to make lookup of objects from sub folders working. The new code looks better, but has been used way back and caused some kind of buggy behavior relating to folder navigation I believe. The problem is that I didn't document EXACTLY what buggy behavior one got, and now I can't reproduce any problem :-(. Please see if jAlbum's Explorer view or folder tree has a buggy behavior in any regard.
jGromit

Posted: 24-Sep-2019 21:29   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
The new code looks better, but has been used way back and caused some kind of buggy behavior relating to folder navigation I believe. The problem is that I didn't document EXACTLY what buggy behavior one got, and now I can't reproduce any problem :-(.

No cause for alarm - what could possibly go wrong?

I do stuff like that routinely. A year later, I look at the code and think, "Why did I change this?" I remove what appears to a kludge, and all is well. For about three months. Then the precise combination of factors recurs, and it all comes back to me.
RobM

Posted: 24-Sep-2019 21:30   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
New search works fine. I'm wondering if there should be an option to include or eliminate excluded files/folders from the search results?

Not seen anything odd in the navigation, but only had a quick look at that.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums