This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 30-Jun-2019 21:32 Last Post By: ianlkaplan
ianlkaplan

jAlbum 18.2.1 crashes when building albums on Fedora 29 Linux with Java 1.8
Posted: 17-Jun-2019 00:56

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment hs_err_pid18486.log (179.0 KB)
I am a licensed jAlbum user (I'm happy to pay the license fee if the application works).

When I populate an album with photos and select the "Make Album" item from the Album menu, jAlbum crashes with an internal Java error.

I am running Oracle Java 1.8.0_192-b12 on Fedora Linux 29

When the application crashes I get the following (when I run jAlbum from the command line):

Exception in thread "JavaFX Application Thread" #
  1. A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:
#
  1. SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f064a968e5a, pid=18486, tid=0x00007f05f66cf700
#
  1. JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_192-b12) (build 1.8.0_192-b12)
  2. Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.192-b12 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)
  3. Problematic frame:
  4. V http://libjvm.so+0x6c0e5a jni_GetArrayLength+0x3a
#
  1. Core dump written. Default location: /home/iank/software/jAlbum/core or core.18486
#
  1. An error report file with more information is saved as:
  2. /home/iank/software/jAlbum/hs_err_pid18486.log
#
  1. If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
  2. http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
#
./startjalbum.sh: line 5: 18486 Aborted (core dumped) java -Xmx2000M -jar $BASEDIR/JAlbum.jar

I have reported this issue to Oracle (for what that's worth).

I have attached the crash log as well.

Has anyone succeeded in running jAlbum on a recent version of Linux?

Many thanks,

Ian

Edited by: ianlkaplan on 17-Jun-2019 00:57
jGromit

Re: jAlbum 18.2.1 crashes when building albums on Fedora 29 Linux with Java 1.8
Posted: 17-Jun-2019 01:08   in response to: ianlkaplan in response to: ianlkaplan

ianlkaplan wrote:
I am running Oracle Java 1.8.0_192-b12....

Try Java 12.

https://jdk.java.net/12/
davidekholm

Posted: 17-Jun-2019 12:38   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Yes, such deep crashes are due to bugs in the underlying Java engine, so please try a more modern version.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 17-Jun-2019 14:38   in response to: ianlkaplan in response to: ianlkaplan

ianlkaplan wrote:
Has anyone succeeded in running jAlbum on a recent version of Linux?

Sure. You need to add javafx:

/usr/lib64/jvm/jre-12-openjdk/bin/java --module-path your-pathname-to-javafx -jar /usr/lib/jalbum/JAlbum.jar

or use a version which comes with javafx:

/usr/lib/jvm/zulu11.31.11-ca-fx-jdk11.0.3-linux_x64/bin/java -jar /usr/lib/jalbum/JAlbum.jar

Operating System: openSUSE Tumbleweed 20190612
KDE Plasma Version: 5.16.0
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.58.0
Qt Version: 5.12.3
Kernel Version: 5.1.7-1-default
OS Type: 64-bit
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Memory: 31,1 GiB

ianlkaplan

Posted: 22-Jun-2019 22:10   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

At least on Fedora 29 I am still getting a crash after installing version 12 of the Java JDK downloaded from Oracle.

I should not have to jump through hoops to get jAlbum to run. I'll try the javafx workaround that has been suggested in this thread. But using this album software has already cost me several hours of time. If I knew of a better alternative, I'd use it.

iank@localhost jAlbum$ java --version
java 12.0.1 2019-04-16
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 12.0.1+12)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 12.0.1+12, mixed mode, sharing)
iank@localhost jAlbum$
iank@localhost jAlbum$ ./startjalbum.sh
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by se.datadosen.jalbum.Config (file:/home/iank/software/jAlbum/./lib/jalbum-core.jar) to method sun.swing.SwingUtilities2.checkAccess(int)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of se.datadosen.jalbum.Config
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javafx/beans/binding/BooleanExpression
at se.datadosen.jalbum.SplashScreen.<init>(SplashScreen.java:39)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbum.<init>(JAlbum.java:111)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbum.main(JAlbum.java:369)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:567)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.Main.main(Main.java:45)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javafx.beans.binding.BooleanExpression
at java.base/java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:436)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:588)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:521)
jGromit

Posted: 22-Jun-2019 22:22   in response to: ianlkaplan in response to: ianlkaplan

You're almost there. I'm fairly certain that Installing javaFX will clear it up.

You can ignore the warning about reflective access operations - that's unimportant, and will eventually go away when jAlbum catches up with the Java releases.

It's true that you shouldn't have to jump through hoops to get jAlbum to run. If you were on Windows or macOS, you wouldn't have to - you could just install the application and run it.
ianlkaplan

Posted: 22-Jun-2019 22:47   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

As far as I can tell, JavaFX comes bundled with Java 8, which I was running when I ran into the original problem.

Apparently JavaFX has been separated from the Java SDK since Java 11. I installed the Gluon download of JavaFX: https://gluonhq.com/products/javafx/

I tried the following command line below. Unfortunately jAlbum blows up on initialization when it is executed. This is jAlbum 18.2.1.

Again, I have a licensed version.

java -Xmx2000M --module-path /home/iank/software/java/javafx/latest/lib/ -jar ./JAlbum.jar
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by se.datadosen.jalbum.Config (file:/home/iank/software/jAlbum/./lib/jalbum-core.jar) to method sun.swing.SwingUtilities2.checkAccess(int)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of se.datadosen.jalbum.Config
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javafx/beans/binding/BooleanExpression
at se.datadosen.jalbum.SplashScreen.<init>(SplashScreen.java:39)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbum.<init>(JAlbum.java:111)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbum.main(JAlbum.java:369)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:567)
at se.datadosen.jalbum.Main.main(Main.java:45)
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javafx.beans.binding.BooleanExpression
at java.base/java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:436)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:588)
at java.base/java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:521)
karlmistelberger

Posted: 23-Jun-2019 06:34   in response to: ianlkaplan in response to: ianlkaplan
Helpful
ianlkaplan wrote:
At least on Fedora 29 I am still getting a crash after installing version 12 of the Java JDK downloaded from Oracle.

I should not have to jump through hoops to get jAlbum to run. I'll try the javafx workaround that has been suggested in this thread. But using this album software has already cost me several hours of time. If I knew of a better alternative, I'd use it.

The following uses java-12-openjdk 12.0.1.0 + JavaFX Linux SDK 12.0.1 + jAlbum for anything 18.2.1:

/usr/lib64/jvm/jre-12-openjdk/bin/java --module-path /home/karl/Downloads/javafx-sdk-12.0.1/lib --add-modules=javafx.graphics,javafx.swing,javafx.web -jar /home/karl/Downloads/jAlbum/JAlbum.jar
The above invocation works and jAlbum successfully creates an album.

As another option you may install http://jalbum.net/download/software/yumrepo/jalbum-18.2-1.x86_64.rpm

jAlbum will be available through the application starter. The invocation is:

/usr/lib/jalbum/jre64/bin/java -jar /usr/lib/jalbum/JAlbum.jar
davidekholm

Posted: 24-Jun-2019 15:45   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

Thanks Karl. Yes, that error is indeed caused by JavaFX not being found. We bundle jAlbum with a Java that contains JavaFX for Windows, Mac and Linux (rpm and deb packages)
ianlkaplan

Posted: 24-Jun-2019 17:42   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

Thanks for the post, Karl. I appreciate it. I can see that I was missing some arguments.

I prefer to install the software directly rather than via an RPM since it allows me to easily control the installation.

Best,

Ian
ianlkaplan

Posted: 30-Jun-2019 21:32   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

I finally got a chance to try this command line. I can run jAlbum and build an album. As in the sample command line, I am running Java 12 on Fedora Linux 29.

Many thanks, Karl.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums