This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 10-Jan-2019 12:10 Last Post By: davidekholm
jGromit

Get rid of "Progressive mode?"
Posted: 26-Nov-2008 15:35

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Is it time to eliminate the "Progressive mode" checkbox on Settings / Images? A lot of image expander scripts can't handle it, and I'm not sure it serves a useful function these days. It has virtually no effect using scaled images, except perhaps on the worst of dialup connections. Even with large originals, I question the value of having the image appear blurry, then gradually sharpen. Is that actually better than having the full-res image render from the top down?

I'm open to contrary opinions.
JeanPierre

Re: Get rid of "Progressive mode?"
Posted: 26-Nov-2008 16:09   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

EarlyOut wrote:
Is it time to eliminate the "Progressive mode" checkbox on Settings / Images? A lot of image expander scripts can't handle it, and I'm not sure it serves a useful function these days. It has virtually no effect using scaled images, except perhaps on the worst of dialup connections.
I have poor connection and I use this setting.
JP
Even with large originals, I question the value of having the image appear blurry, then gradually sharpen. Is that actually better than having the full-res image render from the top down?

I'm open to contrary opinions.

MarkusD

Posted: 11-Oct-2015 20:44   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I hope it is ok to answer to such an old thread. Taking into account that the answer from jGromit a couple years old I assume, that with today's bandwidth this option is definitely of no use. If this is true, so why not get rid of that option? Or to add a sentence in the online help that this option is not necessary if bandwith is not a limiting factor.

TIA, Markus
davidekholm

Posted: 12-Oct-2015 10:00   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

If no one objects, I'll remove this feature from the next version.
jGromit

Posted: 12-Oct-2015 13:14   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Ironically, it makes less difference than it used to. Progressive mode really made a mess of Flash skins, but those are disappearing. The image expanders in non-Flash skins like Turtle, Matrix, and Photoblogger aren't thrown by it. I haven't tested other current skins.
jGromit

Posted: 27-Dec-2018 05:31   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
If no one objects, I'll remove this feature from the next version.

The option is still there, over three years later, and over ten years since the original request. :)

I don't think progressive mode JPG's hurt anything - I don't think there's any skin that gets thrown for a loop by them. In fact, I think that with some of the expander scripts being used in current skins, it is ineffective, even with limited bandwidth. But I'm always in favor of removing options that aren't needed, just to keep the UI stripped down.

And I've long suspected that people choose Progressive mode because they think it's more modern and forward-looking than the alternative, which must be regressive mode. ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 27-Dec-2018 12:42   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Ah, put it on your "stuff-to-fix" list. I plan to address some of the points there.
jGromit

Posted: 27-Dec-2018 15:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Done - on the list.

I did some tinkering with this. It's tough to test when you've got 110mbps download speed, but I put some grossly oversized images on jalbum.net, where the transatlantic hop introduces some slowness. The "progressive" effect was barely noticeable. On a totally non-responsive slide page, it still "painted" the image from top to bottom, but with some mild pixellation, and then quickly sharpened it up. But the difference between that and a baseline JPG loading on the page was almost undetectable. It would probably make some difference on a dial-up line, but I haven't seen a Hayes modem in ages.

And with some image expander scripts, the script probably doesn't display the image until it's got the whole thing, since it often wants to apply things like transition effects. In that case, there would be no difference between progressive and baseline.

I've read some recent posts online about how progressive JPG's speed page loading, but most of it sounds like theoretical nonsense, stuff that doesn't reflect real-world experience. There is also a theory that the appearance of a pixellated image followed by sharpening, while it may be a few milliseconds faster, is actually perceived by site visitors as being slower.
jGromit

Posted: 09-Jan-2019 19:32   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Fixed in jAlbum 17.2. Over ten years from the initial request - is this an all-time record? :)
davidekholm

Posted: 10-Jan-2019 12:10   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Fixed in jAlbum 17.2. Over ten years from the initial request - is this an all-time record? :)

It's called "Responsiveness" :-D
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums