This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 10 Jan 19, 07:49 Last Post By: karlmistelberger
hp-bilder

Open Street Map
Posted: 7 Jan 19, 17:32

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi,

i don't want a Google map key. Are there skins which allow alternate map providers, e.g. Open Street Map? Or ways to change existing skins to do so?
Maybe a feature request?

HP
JeffTucker

Re: Open Street Map
Posted: 7 Jan 19, 17:43   in response to: hp-bilder in response to: hp-bilder

AFAIK, there are no skins that use anything other than Google maps. It's very difficult to choose an alternative, and there are a bunch of them. Each one requires very different coding from the others, so swapping out one map provider for another is not a simple matter.

Even using OpenStreetMap isn't as simple as it looks. OSM is just a map collection - you still need some Javascript to access it and embed maps on your site, like Leaflet or OpenLayers.
hp-bilder

Posted: 7 Jan 19, 18:31   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

OK, so i have to live without map :(

HP
JeffTucker

Posted: 7 Jan 19, 18:37   in response to: hp-bilder in response to: hp-bilder

You could just get a Google maps API key. It's still free unless your site gets a huge amount of traffic.

Or you could do the coding for a different map provider - either modify an existing skin, or develop your own.

And BTW, some of the competing map providers are also not free for unlimited use. The limits and charges may be different, but they're not just giving things away.
karlmistelberger

Posted: 8 Jan 19, 16:10   in response to: hp-bilder in response to: hp-bilder

hp-bilder wrote:
i don't want a Google map key. Are there skins which allow alternate map providers, e.g. Open Street Map? Or ways to change existing skins to do so?

GPS Visualizer has a drop down menu to switch between maps:

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map_input

Thus you can do it and you can ask jAlbum to have it too.
JeffTucker

Posted: 8 Jan 19, 21:34   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

karlmistelberger wrote:
GPS Visualizer has a drop down menu to switch between maps:

I think you might to experiment with that site a bit further. You seem to have jumped to at least one unwarranted conclusion. No matter what type of map tiles you choose (like OSM), the resulting page is still a Google map, requiring a Google API key.

On that site, only if you want to produce just a simple JPG map can you dispense with Google. At that point, of course, you have a map that is not interactive in any way. As if that weren't enough, there doesn't appear to be any way to specify the zoom level you want when you're generating a JPG map, which often renders the result useless.

Thus you can do it and you can ask jAlbum to have it too.

If all you want is an inflexible JPG of a map, perhaps the jAlbum core could produce it, though I question the utility of the development time that it would require. There doesn't appear to be any way to incorporate the "visualizer" into an application - it would require Java programming, starting from a clean slate.

And if you want an actual HTML page, it pays to remember that the jAlbum core, on its own, does not currently produce a single line of HTML, CSS, or Javascript. The existing skins that provide map support already accomplish that - there's no need for the jAlbum core to reinvent the wheel.
hp-bilder

Posted: 8 Jan 19, 21:40   in response to: karlmistelberger in response to: karlmistelberger

Thanks, didn't know this page. I'm considering to make simple screenshots of a GPS track visualization, e.g. from Digikams fine geo-tagging tool. Will try out your hint for this, maybe its even easier.

Frankly, i believe JAlbum has its strong parts, but putting effort in things which any serious photographer does in way better specialized tools (e.g. RAW image decoding, image management) rather than in the core functionality or usability is something i do not appreciate. And providing a generic map API for skin developers would be IMHO nice. No one knows what google does next year.

HP
karlmistelberger

Posted: 9 Jan 19, 06:48   in response to: hp-bilder in response to: hp-bilder

hp-bilder wrote:
Thanks, didn't know this page. I'm considering to make simple screenshots of a GPS track visualization, e.g. from Digikams fine geo-tagging tool. Will try out your hint for this, maybe its even easier.

GPS track with GPS visualizer, Open Street Map and jAlbum/Tiger:

http://www.mistelberger.net/Tiger/2017-05-19/Karte.html

More maps available through the drop down menu in the upper right corner.

QMapShack: https://www.bergmofa.de/qmapshack-einrichten/

Online Maps: https://www.mtb-touring.net/qms/onlinekarten-einbinden/
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums