This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 08-Jan-2019 00:39 Last Post By: jGromit
rfm2

Neptune version 11 changes
Posted: 03-Jan-2019 00:28

Click to reply to this thread Reply
What better way to start the New Year than with a few questions/requests to help you recover from yesterday.

The version 11 changed the classic "home" icon from a house to a NW pointing arrow in a box. I guess that was to indicate a more flexible meaning of the icon. Now that all the icons are .svt to .svg, I can't simply change the icon in the skin source. Is there a way in the code/CSS section I could change that back to the "house" by pointing to a classic "home" icon name?

In earlier versions I was able to change the up-pointing cursor to a left or right-pointing cursor. The coding has changed so much now that I don't know where I would make that change. I realize the pointing hand is redundant since there are left and right line arrows in the middle edges of the pages, but they are sufficiently faint that the L/R pointing hand is more obvious. I know you don't want to make that a permanent change, but is there a way I could do it with some Code/CSS entries?
jGromit

Re: Neptune version 11 changes
Posted: 03-Jan-2019 01:00   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

I've long believed that a navigation icon should never have two different meanings, depending upon where you are. As soon as I introduced the "top of page" link, I had gotten into trouble territory - the "top" icon meant "top of page" in one place, but "top of album" in another. Not good. And I've always thought that the "top of album" icon might mean something to the album creator, but not to the album visitor.

Then, in my own family album, with multiple folders, down a couple of levels, I wanted to provide a simple "home" icon to take the visitor back to the top level of the album - there is nothing above it. But using the jAlbum "link to homepage," I ended up with a superfluous "home" icon at the top level, a link to nowhere. I found myself doing some sneaky custom CSS to hide the "home" icon at the top level. Once again, a sign that the options weren't right.

So I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone. "Home" now means the top of the album. The "external" icon means you're leaving this album, and going somewhere outside of it.

I'll consider building in some sort of option to alter the icon set, but that immediately gets into trouble territory. But if you're never going to use the "link to album home" option, and want to use only the "external home" option, a little sneakiness will get you where you want to be. Open the skin directory, then open the iconSVGs subdirectory. Careful - what you're about to do will cause smoke and flames if not done properly:

• Delete both external.svt and externalTI.svt
  • Make a copy of home.svt and rename it external.svt
  • Make a copy of homeTI.svt and rename it externalTI.svt

Just be aware that if you do use "link to album home," you're going to end up with two "home" icons on the folder pages, which take you to two different places. Very unfriendly behavior.
jGromit

Posted: 03-Jan-2019 01:15   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

rfm2 wrote:
In earlier versions I was able to change the up-pointing cursor to a left or right-pointing cursor. The coding has changed so much now that I don't know where I would make that change. I realize the pointing hand is redundant since there are left and right line arrows in the middle edges of the pages, but they are sufficiently faint that the L/R pointing hand is more obvious. I know you don't want to make that a permanent change, but is there a way I could do it with some Code/CSS entries?

I think you're confusing different skins. The "on image" navigation in Neptune is controlled by the Floatbox script. Those right and left arrows aren't part of my coding at all, so replacing those isn't possible. That has never been possible, in any version of Neptune. That hasn't changed in this version.

Changing the standard up-pointing hand is technically possible, but involves targeting some fairly obscure Floatbox CSS, and it would require that you create some custom cursors, and ensure that they're planted in the album output. Lots of things to go wrong, for very little benefit.

If you really think the arrow overlays are not obvious enough, you can always increase the size of them - Neptune > Layout > Slides > Navigation > Prev/Next arrow size.
rfm2

Posted: 03-Jan-2019 03:36   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks. I'll do that instead of reverting to an earlier version where the old fashioned home icon was available.
rfm2

Posted: 03-Jan-2019 03:46   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Actually, I was able to hack the Floatbox CSS file and get a L/R hand of my choosing up until about version 9 or 10. I have attached an image of an album made with my hacked version 6 that shows the pointing L/T hand and the built-in L/R arrows. I will have to dig through my old versions to see exactly where in the Floatbox CSS file I made the changes. It was a place where it referred to the previous and next with just a pointer, and I changed it to my own L/R hand.
rfm2

Posted: 03-Jan-2019 04:06   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Attachment Neptune7-clip.jpg (78.6 KB)
I found the old Neptune version 7 where I made the change in the floatbox.css file to get the L/R hand to be used. I have attached the segment of that file that shows the changes I made. By version 8 I never got around to trying to get the L/R hand to be used, I haven't tried hacking the current version of floatbox.css in Neptune version 11 to see if that still works. I'll let you know tomorrow.
jGromit

Posted: 03-Jan-2019 05:18   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

There haven't been any substantial changes to the Floatbox CSS, so that will still work.

Seems like a lot of messing about to produce an effect that I'll wager no one ever notices. I've switched skins in my family albums a couple of times over the years, and people didn't even notice those changes. I'm not kidding.

ETA: Instead of tinkering with the distributed code, just add your revised CSS lines under Neptune > Code > CSS. As a quick test, using a couple of the built-in cursor types (not that you would actually choose those, but just as proof of concept):
.fbx a.fbPrevPanel{left:0; cursor:move;}
.fbx a.fbNextPanel{right:0; cursor:progress;}
rfm2

Posted: 03-Jan-2019 18:18   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Those changes in the Code/CSS did produce the "Working" icon for next and crossed arrow icon (moving) for previous. I then changed them to the url notation and it produced the L/R hands. Thanks for the suggestion to do it through the skin UI instead of hacking the source code. You're probably right that no one notices whether the hand cursor is upright or L/R, but the one person who does notice is me.

Thanks for the help.
jGromit

Posted: 03-Jan-2019 18:53   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

rfm2 wrote:
...the one person who does notice is me.

That sounds like a personal problem, to me.
jGromit

Posted: 08-Jan-2019 00:39   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Attachment ss005030.png (32.7 KB)
rfm2 wrote:
Is there a way in the code/CSS section I could change that back to the "house" by pointing to a classic "home" icon name?

Before you get carried away trying to hack this one, I've had another idea. I realize that the meaning of "home" might be one thing if you have an extensive site that also includes an album with multiple folder layers, but might be something else when you have a site like yours, with an index at the top and a bunch of independent, single-layer albums below it.

I've been tinkering with an option to let you choose the icon set - see screenshot (this is from Pluto, but once it's coded and I'm happy with it, extending it to the other skins is relatively quick work). With the first choice, the "leaving this album" icon points to whatever you've entered in the jAlbum settings as your "home page," and the "home" icon points to the top level of this album. With the second choice, the "home" icon points to the jAlbum "home page," and the "double-up" arrow points to the top level of this album.

No conflict with the "top of page" icon, since I'm never using the same icon for "album home."

Good option, or too complicated for most primates?
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums