This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 7 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 24 Dec 18, 16:42 Last Post By: RobM
peukert

Response time of albums in China
Posted: 13 Dec 18, 12:35

Click to reply to this thread Reply
First of all finally all works fine. BUT there is a strange effect I sensed several times (got reported) from my Chinese friends. They need several minutes ot open a album jump page. The same page in Europe is really fast - in China it takes approx 6 minutes. My constellation is a web gallery hosted by HOSTEUROPE. But I know that after opening the gallery home page there is downloaded some content which is not loaded from my album location (HOSTEUROPE). Is loaded from your servers. Now this is the bottleneck according to the information I have so far. Do you have a solution for this? Might it be a way to include some libraries into the generated album. I have no really good idea. But you understand that your tool is perfect as long as you dont share galleries with users located in China. Nobody will wait for minutes for show up the page. And if you know Chinese - especially not them. Haha.

Would be great if there could be a solution / work around for this.
JeffTucker

Re: Response time of albums in China
Posted: 13 Dec 18, 13:38   in response to: peukert in response to: peukert

If your album isn't hosted on jalbum.net, there is no content downloaded from jAlbum, unless you have enabled widgets. So, step one is to turn off widgets - Album > Settings > Advanced > Metadata > Include jAlbum widget support (uncheck it), make the album again, and upload again. At that point, your album is completely freestanding, with no reliance on anything from Stockholm.
davidekholm

Posted: 13 Dec 18, 14:03   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

This said, jAlbum's widget support is designed to not interrupt the overall page loading.
peukert

Posted: 13 Dec 18, 23:43   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

I have to have a look at it. Will do. But are you sure there is no js framework like boilerplate etc downloaded in parallel?
JeffTucker

Posted: 13 Dec 18, 23:44   in response to: peukert in response to: peukert

Like most pages, some skins load various Javascript resources from outside the album, like jQuery. But nothing is coming from jalbum.net.

Don't take my word for it - take a look at the source code on the album page.
peukert

Posted: 24 Dec 18, 15:31   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Haha. Trust you. Fine with it. But would be interesting what slows down there. Do you have the possibility to test with a Chinese partner?
JeffTucker

Posted: 24 Dec 18, 15:47   in response to: peukert in response to: peukert

tpeukert wrote:
Haha. Trust you.

It's not a question of trust. Open the source code of the page, and look at all of the links. Almost all of them are relative (i.e., they're pointing to something in the album itself), or they might be pulling something from the cloud, like a Google font. Again, don't take my word for it - look for yourself.

But would be interesting what slows down there.

Sounds like the Great Firewall of China at work.

Do you have the possibility to test with a Chinese partner?

No, I only know some thoroughly disreputable people in Sweden, Hungary, the U.K., and Australia. ;)

But beyond that, I'm not really sure what it is you're asking for. Some people in the world have very poor connections to the internet. What do you think a page of HTML and CSS can do about that? As we have said, the album stands on its own - it's not pulling any resources from the jAlbum servers. Everything needed to view the album is coming from your web host. Perhaps you should be talking to your web host?
RobM

Posted: 24 Dec 18, 16:42   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
But would be interesting what slows down there.

Sounds like the Great Firewall of China at work.

CDN Networks says ‘research has found that nearly nine in every 10 European websites operating in China failed to meet the 4.82 seconds which users believe it should take to load.’

And ‘Thousands of companies within Europe, including the UK, France, Germany and Italy, have dedicated websites for the Chinese market. However, “The Great Firewall of China” – China’s unique internet filtering system, creates both technological and legislative challenges that can hinder European website’s performance in China.’
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums