This question is not answered.

Permlink Replies: 8 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 30 Nov 18, 18:08 Last Post By: JeffTucker
jpalik

Local player or compiler support
Posted: 29 Nov 18, 19:06

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I would like to distribute stand-alone jAlbum slide shows. Does jAlbum support a local player or is there a compiler available that can create jAlbum slide shows that do not require a web server and can be run stand-alone?

Jim
JeffTucker

Re: Local player or compiler support
Posted: 29 Nov 18, 19:09   in response to: jpalik in response to: jpalik
Correct
If you create an album that has a slideshow, it's just a web page. You can run it on any computer - no internet connection required, as long as the finished album is on that computer. You could even run it from a memory stick.
MarkusD

Posted: 29 Nov 18, 19:18   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
If you create an album that has a slideshow, it's just a web page. You can run it on any computer
That is correct.

- no internet connection required
Is that really true? As far as I know some skins rely on google fonts for example. So yes these albums will run without an internet connect, but maybe the look a little different, don't they?
JeffTucker

Posted: 29 Nov 18, 19:20   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

True, albums that rely on external resources may not behave properly. With something like Google fonts, you don't have any choice - you can't include them in your album, but have to load them at viewing time. But that's also why in my skins I always package things like jQuery, rather than relying on the cloud to deliver it.

And naturally, something like a Google map isn't going to load. There's no magic. ;)
jpalik

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 17:39   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Based on your reply I thought I could figure this out. Unfortunately, I cannot.

1. When I create an album, the only option I see is to upload it to my website. I have been doing this for years without problems. However, I cannot find a way to save the album to a local directory.

2. When I review my website, jAlbum has uploaded two folders (res and thumbs)
two data.json files
humans.txt
index.html
lifeboat.zip
manifest.jmf
robots.txt
tree.json

My assumption would be that the index.html file would be the file to run but it needs a browser or it opens as a text file. If I right click on it I can request a browser to open it in.

None of this answers my question. Your answer was that all I had to do was load the file on my computer and I could play my slide show and that I could even do it from a memory stick.

What file are you talking about?
How do I export my slide show to my local disk?
Do I need the whole jAlbum infrastructure to run the slide show?

Sorry about being tedious but I was hoping for a single stand-alone "slide show" file to send to people. Is this not possible.

I saw a post from Laza that states "jalbums built-in browser" works. How do I implement this. I looked at every setting and I cannot see any reference to a built-in browser. Would this still require the whole infrastructure to view the slideshow.

Thank you for your help, I feel as though I am being tedious and I apologize for that. I am a photographer, not a programmer.

Please see my most recent slide show. I wanted to send this to as a stand-alone file to a number of people that have no internet access.

https://jpalik.com/DAZThanksgiving2018/

I really look forward to your answer.

Jim

Edited by: jpalik on 30-Nov-2018 17:41

Edited by: jpalik on 30-Nov-2018 17:42
JeffTucker

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 17:54   in response to: jpalik in response to: jpalik

jpalik wrote:
1. When I create an album, the only option I see is to upload it to my website. I have been doing this for years without problems. However, I cannot find a way to save the album to a local directory.

When you create the album, it is created on your PC's hard drive. There is no need to "save" it there - it's already there. When you upload it to a web host, you're just copying those files from one computer - your PC - to another computer - the server at your web host.

After making the album, choose Tools, Open directory, Output directory. You are now looking at the entire album, on your own hard drive. Double-click on index.html - you are now viewing the album from your own hard drive. It's not showing you anything from your web host.

If you want to show the album on some other device, without needing an internet connection, just copy everything you see in the output directory to that other device, like a memory stick or another PC. Now open the folder where you saved all of these files on the memory stick or other PC, and double-click index.html.

Please see my most recent slide show. I wanted to send this to as a stand-alone file to a number of people that have no internet access.

The album is not a single file that you can send to someone. To view the album, they need all of the files - the JPG thumbnails, the JPG slides, the HTML files, the CSS files, the Javascript files, and so on. In short, they need everything that's sitting in that output directory.
jpalik

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 18:02   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Thank you,

Now I understand. Like I said, sorry to be tedious and brain dead when it comes to code.

Your help is always appreciated. Just out of curiosity, when do you sleep? :-)
wolf-skate

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 18:03   in response to: jpalik in response to: jpalik

well the more knowledgeable will step in for sure

BUT the album IS already stored on your computer/done by the moment you make it (if it was only in memory, it would be gone when you turn off the machine. When restart the machine and enter JA where do you think it picks up information from it)

You have to steer to the directory, default (i.e. unless you soecifically choose another place)
C: (or D or what ever drive you use) ... \My Documents\My Albums\"album name"\album
(this path is also visible/given in JA editor just below the action icons on the top)
i.e. so it is no a single file but a whole directory (as some code i kept in upper directory and slides, thumbs and alb-subfolders in different sub-dir)

This directory 'album' is what you should ship out (that is also what you would upload if you would use an external up loader like Filezilla)

Ups very slow on my typing..just seen jGromit answering = speed typer Edited by: wolf-skate on 30-Nov-2018 18:03
JeffTucker

Posted: 30 Nov 18, 18:08   in response to: jpalik in response to: jpalik

jpalik wrote:
Just out of curiosity, when do you sleep? :-)

At night, like most people, with some naps sprinkled into the mix. But remember, I'm in the eastern U.S., not in Stockholm: GMT-5
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums