This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 1. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 26-Oct-2018 17:34 Last Post By: svendus
svendus

Get a Google API Key
Posted: 21-Oct-2018 11:33

Click to reply to this thread Reply
To use the Maps Embed API, you now must register your app project on the Google Cloud Platform Console and get a Google API key which you can add to your app or website.

the free key created 2016 and 2017 do not work anymore even on projects uploaded 2016
https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/embed/get-api-key

you have to Enable billing plan for the project an you have to give Google your Card information to pay

but it is very unclear on their website how the pricing are

anyone here has some experience or knowledge about this

regards Svendus
jGromit

Re: Get a Google API Key
Posted: 21-Oct-2018 13:09   in response to: svendus in response to: svendus

(Thread moved - this applies to albums created with the desktop application. Because the online jAlbum application doesn't support geotagging at all, it doesn't apply to it!)
jGromit

Posted: 21-Oct-2018 13:29   in response to: svendus in response to: svendus

I'm still getting away with the free keys I created before, and haven't given them a credit card, but I'm sure that door will get closed soon. I suspect that if I went over the $200-per-month free allowance, my maps would stop working.

The pricing is murky, but here's the summary:

https://cloud.google.com/maps-platform/pricing/sheet/

The definitions are almost impossible to sort out, but I think what we're all using in our skins are Dynamic Maps, so our pages would get 28,000 free loads per month. That's a lot of traffic, but what's not clear is what happens when search bots, including Google's own searchers, hit your site and start calling up maps.

You can set a quota, but perversely, they don't let you set a monthly quota - you can set only a daily quota. So, to ensure you don't ever go over your $200 worth for the month, you'd have to set a daily quota of something like $6.50 per day.

This is a scheme that was obviously designed by a huge committee - it's about 20 times more complicated than it needs to be.

Switching to another map provider isn't easy. Each of them has its own API, which means extensive skin rewriting. And which one to choose? Some of the major sites, like The Weather Channel, have gone to Mapbox, so that one might be worth a look.
svendus

Posted: 21-Oct-2018 19:26   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thank You
i Think Google are shooting them self in their feet none of our clients
are willing to buy a map on their website this way

the imbeded Googlemap are still free

We rather make our own map like this 2018
than this on the same location 2016 where we used Google Maps 2016
svendus

Posted: 22-Oct-2018 09:45   in response to: svendus in response to: svendus

The examples were Pano2VR
but it seems that jAlbum Tigerskin with Google maps still are going free ?
the same Pano2VR panorama are not

Edited by: svendus on 22-Oct-2018 09:46
jGromit

Posted: 22-Oct-2018 13:58   in response to: svendus in response to: svendus

It shouldn't make any difference - you're calling the same Google map API in either case. But the domain from which it's coming might make a difference to Google. But who knows? Even the information from Google about this change is inconsistent. In one place, they say that pages will stop working, but in other places, they say they won't.
Laza

Posted: 25-Oct-2018 11:05   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I gave them my credit card, and they send me a bill with $0 every month. You can follow the traffic on their site. However I'm still concerned, because they can change the limit once they want more money, and one day I might end a paid service I never intended to subscribe. So I might add Nokia Maps too, which is using a similar business model, but their usage limit is much more generous. Or perhaps Openmaps... (?)

Today every company seems to change from the free model to some kind of paid construction, and this might be the end of the golden age of internet.
svendus

Posted: 25-Oct-2018 15:04   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Yes you ar Right Apple do also have a map i do not know what system it are conected to Open maps do also charge
i think Nokia maps are now Microsoft
AndreWolff

Posted: 25-Oct-2018 16:02   in response to: svendus in response to: svendus
Helpful
svendus

Posted: 26-Oct-2018 17:34   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Thank you
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums