This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 08-Aug-2018 00:59 Last Post By: jGromit
rfm2

Mercury skin tests
Posted: 07-Aug-2018 19:52

Click to reply to this thread Reply
In experimenting with the Mercury skin (and comparing it to the Neptune skin) the top info text seems to be limited to a percentage (about 70 % to 75%) of the index page width. I can't find a place in the Mercury settings where I may be causing that limitation, having tried to match the Mercury settings with those of Neptune.
jGromit

Re: Mercury skin tests
Posted: 07-Aug-2018 21:31   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Attachment ss004356.png (33.2 KB)
See the screenshot. It's in the same place in Neptune.

(ETA: BTW, the code base for Mercury grew out of Gromit, with an unmanageable mountain of stuff stripped out.)
rfm2

Posted: 08-Aug-2018 00:10   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

That's embarrassing!! As many times as I have used the "Code" tab in Neptune, Saturn, Gromit, and even set the width parameter in actual and test albums of each, and then entered the top and bottom info in the Mercury test album (with the width parameter staring at me), my mind's eye refused to see the width parameter. Oh well, That's not the first nor will it be the last embarrassing episode of failing to see the obvious.

I'm trying to make the comparison albums for Neptune, Saturn, Gromit, and Mercury be as similar as I can make them so I can compare the functionality. Because of the very large number of Matrix albums I have made I can't help but compare these 4 newer ones to some of the desirable features of Matrix. The comparison is a fun task because all of them are good.

Thanks for the quick reply, as always.
jGromit

Posted: 08-Aug-2018 00:24   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Attachment ss1.jpg (103.4 KB)
Attachment ss2.jpg (88.7 KB)
Attachment ss3.jpg (130.8 KB)
I know you're not a "phone guy," which means you're not seeing what I think is the most important feature of Mercury, and that's the adaptations for small displays. You can simulate it by tinkering with your browser window, making it resemble the dimensions of a phone - tall and narrow, or short and wide. The breakpoints are at around 650px in either dimension. Mercury tries to maximize the image display, above all other considerations.

These three screenshots from my S7 illustrate what it does. The s1 shot shows a typical image - title bar gone, because there's rarely enough room to display the title without wrapping and chewing up a lot of real estate, image shown as large as possible, clear of the controls because there's enough room to do that, and caption visible, again because there's enough room to do that.

The s2 and s3 screenshots show what happens when you're dealing with more extreme aspect ratios or orientations. The captions, for example, are still there, but you have to scroll to see them - priority is given to the image.
rfm2

Posted: 08-Aug-2018 00:46   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Thanks for the tips and illustrations of Mercury. You're right that I'm not a "phone guy". I don't know how many of my family/friends viewers of my albums regularly view the albums on their phone, but if that's the only way they view them then I assume they are not interested in the details of the images but just want a hint of what the subject must be.

I used Neptune for my last 2 albums just to get a reaction from some viewers who do view them on their phone (hopefully, not only on their phone), and they certainly preferred the functionality of Neptune over Matrix. I will do the same with Mercury for a future album.
jGromit

Posted: 08-Aug-2018 00:59   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Yeah, Matrix is kind of a catastrophe on a phone, and there's no way to remedy that. The underlying script predates the rise of mobiles and doesn't play well on them at all. Sadly it's abandonware so there's no rescue in sight.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums