This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 31 - Pages: 3 [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 14-Jul-2018 01:47 Last Post By: jGromit
RobM

Re: Neptune image advance
Posted: 13-Jul-2018 17:28   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Click to reply to this thread Reply
The nTest album images are not just distorted, they are missing the image fade in/out effect seen in Neptune-Test-2 when viewed on an iPad.
jGromit

Posted: 13-Jul-2018 17:50   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

That's automatic. If the visitor uses a swipe, the transition is a slide, rather than a cross-fade.

ETA: There's really no problem with a Neptune album on any platform. The transitions are smooth (assuming a reasonably current machine), and they're exactly what I expect them to be. There's something unusual about rfm2's album, and he and I need to figure out what it is. I have some suspicions, but no one else is going to be able to confirm those.
rfm2

Posted: 13-Jul-2018 18:00   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Sorry to be so slow getting back to continued testing. First, I reinstalled the neptune.jaskin file so that it doesn't have my modified hand pointing cursor. Changed the setting to 200ms, did a Make Album, uploaded the Neptune-Test-2 album, ran it with Chrome, and it still has the distortion. Then ran index.html from the local album that was just uploaded, and the transition in Chrome is smooth, as was your test album. Sure hope that helps your detective work, because it's a puzzle to me.
rfm2

Posted: 13-Jul-2018 18:19   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Another data point to add to the mystery. I have another test album out there http://rmeri.com/Neptune-Test-1 that was made with the copy of Neptune before replacing with neptune.jaskin (therefore has the default 600ms, and has my modified hand pointing cursor). With Chrome it has the same distortion, though it's not as obvious since Test-1 has only animals and objects. When I run it locally with Chrome it is smooth, as Test-2 is.
jGromit

Posted: 13-Jul-2018 18:34   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

rfm2 wrote:
Then ran index.html from the local album that was just uploaded, and the transition in Chrome is smooth, as was your test album.

That was my suspicion. There's something odd about your web hosting. I haven't been able to track it down in the browser console, where things look normal.

Have you activated any hosting options that are intended to make your site faster, like file compression, or using something like Cloudflare?
rfm2

Posted: 13-Jul-2018 18:35   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

And another. I used Filezilla to move the album folder for Neptune-Test-2 to another location on the website, renamed it NeptuneTest2, ran it with Chrome, same distortion.
rfm2

Posted: 13-Jul-2018 18:38   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

No, I haven't taken any such actions, but it's possible that some of their default settings are coming into play. I'll ask them and let you know what they say.
jGromit

Posted: 13-Jul-2018 18:41   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

One thing you can probably check yourself. In cPanel, look for an icon labeled Optimize Website, and click it. It should show you whether file compression is enabled or not. If it is, disable it, and see what happens.
rfm2

Posted: 13-Jul-2018 19:05   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Compress Content is disabled. I have posted a support request with the host and should hear back soon.
jGromit

Posted: 13-Jul-2018 19:20   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

rfm2 wrote:
Compress Content is disabled.

That's surprising, because the browser console is showing that all the JS, HTML, and CSS files are being compressed with gzip. On my host, none of them is compressed.

But I'm just grasping at straws, here. The jalbum.net server is also gzipping these files, and there's no problem with an album viewed from there.

Leave the Neptune-Test-2 album up there, without doing any further experiments with it. I want to pass this along to the Floatbox guy to find out if he's ever seen this before. It might ring a bell with him.

ETA: Please put Neptune-Test-2 back to 600ms. For purposes of demo, I want to keep your album and mine as identical as possible. Thanks.
rfm2

Posted: 13-Jul-2018 20:35   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

The host was not helpful. It took forever to get them to understand the problem, but I finally got them to see the distortion using Chrome. They said they "made some changes" to the website, and claimed they then were able to see the same response in Chrome and Firefox. Not so for me, still the same with Chrome, always clearing cache and reloading the album before viewing. They now insist the problem is not on the server side, "but if the web developer makes some changes on the server side", let them know and they will make the changes. I have no idea how I can make changes on the server side.

I restored the Neptune-Test-2 to 600ms and re-posted it.
jGromit

Posted: 13-Jul-2018 21:28   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

The good news is that it's now working properly for me in Chrome. You might have to do some deeper cache cleaning. In Chrome, from the "hamburger" menu, choose More tools, Clear browsing data, Cached images and files.

I'd love to know what the problem was, and how they fixed it. The response headers look exactly like they did before, so I'm in the dark.
rfm2

Posted: 13-Jul-2018 21:58   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Well I'll be darned. Completely smooth now. The Test-2 (with Neptune 5), and both the Test-1 and full album (both with Neptune 4 and my modified hand pointing cursor) are exactly the same as Firefox. I didn't save the chat dialog, but I think the support guy said something like "the a asp was loading slow", whatever that means. I'm going to be really brave now and re-make Test-2 with the transition time of 200ms. If you hear me scream....
rfm2

Posted: 13-Jul-2018 22:13   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

At 200ms on Test-2 album, all 5 browsers, both devices, completely smooth. I'm not sure that what I remember about his "fix" is very accurate, but I do remember wondering what the "a asp" was that he "fixed".

Thanks a bunch for staying with me on this weird journey, and thanks to those who chimed in with their tests. jAlbum support - priceless.
rfm2

Posted: 13-Jul-2018 22:51   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

In response to your wishing you knew what the problem was, I went to the host to see if I could find a copy of the chat session. As soon as I connected to the host this message appeared:

"Reply from Sergio
Hello, I removed the .htaccess rule that was created to disable the caching, and it does look like the transitions are happening correctly in Chrome.

I wouldn't recommend leaving those rules active in the .htaccess unless you really want to disable caching, which should be pretty rare because caching is an important part of website optimizations.

Please try again now and let me know if this is working the way you would expect it to work."

Over a year ago when I was doing some testing where as soon as I tried something, I wanted to see what it did on the website, but there was always a delay before the new info appeared. When I asked if they could speed up access to the newly posted info, that's when they created the .htaccess rule. I had long forgotten about that, and never had the rule removed when I was through testing. Oh well, all's well that ends well, but sure sorry my long ago request caused such a stir with Chrome and Edge.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums