This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 56 - Pages: 4 [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] - Last Post: 26 Mar 17, 15:16 Last Post By: jimberry
AndreWolff

Where is the crop focus tool for a thumbnail??
Posted: 14 Mar 17, 19:59

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I thought that in earlier version as my current version 13.10 I could set the crop focus for a thumbnail (user variable xWeight and yWeight) by clicking with the right mouse button on an image in the Explorer and selecting in the pop-up menu the crop focus tool.

But this does not work. Is there something changed or do I something wrong?
davidekholm

Re: Where is the crop focus tool for a thumbnail??
Posted: 14 Mar 17, 21:51   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
I thought that in earlier version as my current version 13.10 I could set the crop focus for a thumbnail (user variable xWeight and yWeight) by clicking with the right mouse button on an image in the Explorer and selecting in the pop-up menu the crop focus tool.

But this does not work. Is there something changed or do I something wrong?

It's located under the "Extensions" sub menu. There simply wasn't space to keep all options in one flat menu.
AndreWolff

Posted: 14 Mar 17, 23:06   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
It's located under the "Extensions" sub menu. There simply wasn't space to keep all options in one flat menu.
Well David, you apply strange UI rules: You suddenly remove the only right mouse button menu item which I ever used and which was visible in many older versions, because you think there are more important items to be put in the foreground, like 'Use as folder thumbnail', 'Rotate 90 left' , 'Rotate 90 right', 'Exclude'! All these items are already faster available via tool-bar buttons in the left upper corner of the Explorer, so I think you can remove these and bring the crop focus tool back on his old place!
JeffTucker

Posted: 14 Mar 17, 23:15   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Sage advice from someone who once put out a skin whose slide images had no "next" button. I am not making this up.
AndreWolff

Posted: 15 Mar 17, 09:17   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
Sage advice from someone who once put out a skin whose slide images had no "next" button. I am not making this up.
Well I don't know what this has to do with the problem described in this thread (except of course that you like to insult me) . But you are wrongly informed:

That 'someone' is not me, but the founder of Jalbum, who designed the original Slide Show skin, which had indeed no 'Next' button as you can see here. I did improve that skin and I did not think that a missing next button was a problem for a slide-show skin, because the next slide was displayed by clicking the play button.

But coming back to the real problem: all users which prefer fixed-ratio thumbnails do need the 'Set crop focus …' function many times, so you should not hide that behind an 'Extensions' menu-item, but show that immediately in the right mouse pop-up menu.

I even think that this function is so important that you should add it to the tool-bar in the upper left corner.

And tell me who uses the rotate 90 degrees function from the right mouse pop-up menu if you so the corresponding button in the tool-bar?

Edited by: AndreWolff on 15-Mar-2017 09:45:

There is also a bug in the Set Focus tool, see here.
davidekholm

Posted: 15 Mar 17, 11:54   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

I hear you and will consider reverting and instead dropping the rotate menus as we indeed have buttons for those options. The other rationale for making the "Extensions" sub menu is to better hint how jAlbum can be extended in various ways. I don't think you or most people value that, but such user interface hints may make it more likely to see other people produce extensions for jAlbum.

Technically, extending jAlbum like this is dead easy if you know some basic Java. You write a class ending in "Plugin" and have it implement the minimalistic JAlbumPlugin interface, then zip/jar it together and put it inside jAlbum's "ext" folder.
AndreWolff

Posted: 15 Mar 17, 12:41   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
I hear you and will consider reverting and instead dropping the rotate menus as we indeed have buttons for those options.
Thanks for considdering this, but it was better that you promissed it to do!

Technically, extending jAlbum like this is dead easy if you know some basic Java. You write a class ending in "Plugin" and have it implement the minimalistic JAlbumPlugin interface, then zip/jar it together and put it inside jAlbum's "ext" folder.
I certainly I like to try this, but the API does for me not give sufficient information to try it out.
Why don't give you a the source code of a good working example. for instance a plugin which sets user variable maxImageWidth=30000 for panoramic pictures?
davidekholm

Posted: 15 Mar 17, 14:17   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Both source code and docs have been available here: https://jalbum.net/help/en/Plugin_development

However, since Google closed down Google Code, we should move the source code to GitHub for instance. However, no one have been asking for the source code so I don't know if it's worth the effort.
AndreWolff

Posted: 15 Mar 17, 14:39   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
However, no one have been asking for the source code so I don't know if it's worth the effort.
At least one, me, is asking for the source code of the very simple example plugin proposed above.
For that example, you do not need Google Code or GitHub, just add the source code to a reply here!

If you like to promote extensions under non skilled JAVA programmers, you have to keep it simple and provide the full source code and describe the processing steps!
davidekholm

Posted: 15 Mar 17, 16:17   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

These extensions aren't really made to affect the album making behavior of jAlbum but rather to extend jAlbum's user interface with new functionality. If you wish to hook into the album making and image scaling capabilities, check out jAlbum's "plugins" folder which contains source code for all jAlbum's image filters. You could implement a unique image scaling filter that scales panoramic images differently to ordinary images based on whatever logic you prefer. You can use the FixedShapeFilter or CropFilter as base as those filters performs image scaling. You should implement the JAFilter and ModifiesSize interfaces. When done, just add your filter to jAlbum's filter pipeline and you're done. You can either make this addition by modifying the skin you use to install your filter in the engine, like this:
engine.addFilter(new MySmartFilter(), JAFilter.ALL_PRESCALE_STAGE);
or add a user variable that instantiates your filter:
filter1=class=MySmartFilter
or even modify system/init.bsh to ensure that your own filter is plugged in for any album project.
AndreWolff

Posted: 15 Mar 17, 16:45   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
You could implement a unique image scaling filter that scales panoramic images differently to ordinary images based on whatever logic you prefer.
No I like to keep it simple:

Currently I add for each panorama image by hand a user variable maxImageWidth=30000
To make it easier, I like to add to the 'Extensions' menu item of the right-mouse pop-up menu an item 'Extend panorama image width'. All this extension should do is to a add user variable maxImageWidth=30000 for the selected image.

I think this is a very simple example of a plugin, for which I ask you to implement this and show the result as learning project for plugins
davidekholm

Posted: 15 Mar 17, 17:11   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Ok, that's definitively possible to do using an extension/plugin. Just look at the source code for jAlbum's external tools for multiple examples on how to interact with the album objects. I think you should give it a try. Remember, the album object API is here: http://jalbum.net/api/se/datadosen/jalbum/AlbumObject.html

(You get the user variables via the getProperties().get("userVariables") call of an album object). Call getProperties().save() when done changing properties so they are persisted.
AndreWolff

Posted: 15 Mar 17, 17:22   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Ok, I understand you will not give the source code of this simple plug-in, so I don't think I can implement this.

It is a pity that you do not understand that giving example source code helps more as long pages of api documentation.
If you see the source code, you better understand the api documentation and you have a base to extend the plug-in with more complicated functions.
davidekholm

Posted: 16 Mar 17, 08:34   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Attachment CropFocus.zip (60.7 KB)
If I give you the source code for this "simple plugin", then you're not the one implementing it, but I, right? ;-)

I never said I don't want to give the source code for plugins. In fact, the source code for all plugins have been available on Google Code for years, but Google closed down Google Code. Here's a zip of the project for the CropFocus plugin. Unzip it and point Netbeans to it. You can base your far simpler plugin on this one.
AndreWolff

Posted: 16 Mar 17, 09:19   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
If I give you the source code for this "simple plugin", then you're not the one implementing it, but I, right? ;-)
I don't care about that, my goal is not to become a plugin implementer, but to solve the panorama image extension problem for jAlbum users in a convenient way and that is good for your business!
I still think you better implements this yourself in the nucleus of jAlbum as I did ask here and here.

But anyway thanks for for your CropFocus code. I had a quick look at it and I am afraid that it will take to much time to convert this to my simple plugin., also because I never used Netbeans.

BTW Is there somebody else in this forum who is willing to make this simple plug-in for me?

Edited by: AndreWolff on 16-Mar-2017 19:49
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums