This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 2 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 23-Sep-2016 08:44 Last Post By: davidekholm
jGromit

AMD Radeon Woes
Posted: 22-Sep-2016 17:50

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment ss002048.png (54.1 KB)
Attachment ss002049.png (4.0 KB)
Attachment ss002050.png (13.6 KB)
Attachment ss002052.png (23.0 KB)
Attachment ss002053.png (2.3 KB)
I've got a 4½-year-old PC with an AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics card. The recent Windows 10 Anniversary Update (version 1607) forced an updated graphics driver on me, and it gave rise to an old, familiar problem. In the past, I got around it be installing an older version of the graphics driver, but this time, Windows has been very stubborn about not letting me do that.

If you're seeing a similar problem, the graphics driver is the issue, and I don't know what the solution is. It's not fatal - it's just a constant annoyance. Perhaps AMD will issue an update that fixes it, but I don't have much faith - I tried their newest beta release, but no joy.

The first sign of trouble comes when you launch jAlbum. The splash screen shows an extra spinner - see ss002048. Then the first time you open a settings panel, it's all black - ss002049. If you move the mouse around, things start to get "painted" in - ss002050. If you simply close the panel and re-open it, things return to normal - ss002052.

There are similar problems with things like some dialog windows, like what you see when creating a new project (ss002053), during the album build, or during an upload. Those are worse, since you can't do the close/re-open trick to get around it. You just have to fly blind.

I'm curious to know if anyone else is seeing these issues with a newer AMD graphics card, and would certainly be interested to hear from anyone who's managed to find a way around the problem.
jGromit

Re: AMD Radeon Woes
Posted: 22-Sep-2016 18:09   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I thought I remembered a workaround for this one, and I found it. If you're running into this problem, open the program directory - Tools, Open directories, Program directory - edit the jAlbum.ini file, and add this to the list of VM parameters:
-Dsun.java2d.d3d=false
davidekholm

Re: AMD Radeon Woes
Posted: 23-Sep-2016 08:44   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Great that you remembered that switch. I was just about to answer about it :-)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums