This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 15 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 28-Jun-2013 09:57 Last Post By: jamesAl
HarlequinUK

Dreamweaver, and Jalbum integration tutorial
Posted: 24-Oct-2012 17:19

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi All
Been looking through the forum and have seena couple of items which have in part started to answer my question...
Is there a tutorial and clear information as to how to publish or integrate the album into dreamweaver, including how to make it the gallery page and have full set of navigation as per the site? It seems that there might be a way but the album is more of a standalone?
Anyone out there willing to put some clear advice together? Or do I need to look elsewhere for a web gallery solution to embed int my site. (I have pro licence)
Thanks in Advance for the help
jimberry

Re: Dreamweaver, and Jalbum integration tutorial
Posted: 25-Oct-2012 00:14   in response to: HarlequinUK in response to: HarlequinUK

I am not sure what role you want Dreamweaver to play in supporting jAlbum?
Galleries produced by jAlbum are ready for uploading and do not require further tweaking by Dreamweaver or any other HTML editor.
Do you just want to have the albums show the same site banner and navigation as the rest of the site? (The "uneditable" part of your Dreamweaver template, maybe?)
There are ways to do that within jAlbum but it requires a little planning. Can you show us the URL for your site, so that more specific suggestions can be posted to help you include the site banner/navigation/etc in the album pages?

You can also set jAlbum to output your albums to your "Dreamweaver local site" so that it is easier to use Dreamweaver's FTP for publishing your galleries.

Edited by: jimberry on 25-Oct-2012 09:32
HarlequinUK

Posted: 25-Oct-2012 12:29   in response to: HarlequinUK in response to: HarlequinUK

Hi , I want to be able to have the albums show the same site banner and navigation as the rest of the site See http://www.geyc.ca/gallery.htm which has a gallery at present but I would like to improve on this using jAlbum

If I could set jAlbum to output albums to the "Dreamweaver local site" so that it is easier to use Dreamweaver's FTP for publishing for the galleries and to do previewing and also make sure it fits with my CSS that would be great, I have seen comments of adding an iframe?
Thanks for taking the intrest and for the help

jimberry

Posted: 25-Oct-2012 13:57   in response to: HarlequinUK in response to: HarlequinUK

Yes, you can embed the album in an iframe
Just place the iframe code into the "Editable Region" of your Dreamweaver template, ensuring that the width and height attributes of the iframe match the width and height of your album.
But the disadvantage of this integration method is that if you expect people to find your pages via a search engine, the search engines will index the pages WITHOUT the containing iframe page, so the viewer will not see the site banner/navigation/etc.
If that is acceptable, then this is perhaps the easiest way.

However, if SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) is important to you, then maybe with some more work you can integrate the site features into your album (instead of integrating your album into the site ;-) ).
Here is a sample site whose pages are all exactly as output from jalbum, no further tweaking with any HTML editor.
In this case, the included header is an iframe containing the site banner and navigation as a separate HTML file, but it could just as well be an inline "div" containing a copy of the site code.
While this is a simpler scenario than your site (which has a left sidebar and a footer as well as the banner/navigation), it might still be possible to make jAlbum "include files" from those elements and set up a skin that will make your albums look like the Dreamweaver pages.
Let us know which way you want to proceed and more help will be available.
HarlequinUK

Posted: 25-Oct-2012 16:03   in response to: HarlequinUK in response to: HarlequinUK

WOW thanks for the help!
SEO is important, and site integration into the album (instead of integrating the album into the site)
If I can jAlbum to "include files" from those elements and set up a skin that will make the albums look like the Dreamweaver pages that would be the best.
I am OK with basic html and css but not a heavy duty coder!
Many thanks for the help
jimberry

Posted: 26-Oct-2012 05:55   in response to: HarlequinUK in response to: HarlequinUK

If you can attach your Dreamweaver template here, or email to taijim at jimberry dot org, I will see if I can convert it to a set of jAlbum "include" files that you can incorporate into a basic skin like Minimal.
jimberry

Posted: 26-Oct-2012 08:03   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Attachment geyc.jaskin (75.3 KB)
Here is a beta version of a skin which might suit your needs.

Just double click on the attachment and jAlbum should install it to its skins directory.
There will undoubtedly be a few glitches since I don't have access to the resource folders used in your Dreamweaver pages (for files like css/main.css, css/icons.css, scripts/thickbox.js etcetera) but we can probably work on those to get a better result.
HarlequinUK

Posted: 29-Oct-2012 10:50   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Hi Jimberry
Many thanks for this... very helpful, how do you manage to get time?
I'll have a look and see where we go with this, it doesn't seem fair to just get you to do it and better to learn how ;) pretty neat job so far. Thanks again, I'll get back to you perhaps in a mail off line.
jimberry

Posted: 29-Oct-2012 14:08   in response to: HarlequinUK in response to: HarlequinUK

Attachment geyc_b2.jaskin (334.9 KB)
Here is a revised version of geyc skin to correct some issues.
e.g. A CSS rule from the skins common.css conflicted with one of your CSS files, causing the bottom of the white rectangle (containing the "album" ) to be offset from the top.

I have created three "include" files from the three areas on your web pages that would constitute your Dreamweaver template's "uneditable regions" and placed them in the skin's "includes" directory.
1. banner.inc
2. footer.inc
3. head.inc
4. sidebar.inc

I have modified the skin's CSS files to eliminate any conflicting rules resulting from using the same selectors.

There is a possible maintenance issue in that any future changes to those areas will have to be made in two places, once in the Dreamweaver template and once in the jAlbum "include" files. If you like, we can discuss ways of avoiding this eventuality.

RobM

Posted: 29-Oct-2012 18:16   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Jim, I have not done much with Dreamweaver, so this may be a daft idea! If a skin was made to replicate the design of a Dreamweaver site, then would producing web pages in Dreamweaver that are saved as .htt rather than .html work, if said pages are saved to a jAlbum project. jAlbum could then make the navigation links and all the Dreamwever content would just be passed through to the output folder as HTML pages. Obviously, all resources would need to have the proper references, but that could be done by jAlbum variables in the Dreamweaver pages. I'm just wondering if integrating Dreamweaver into jAlbum might be easier than jAlbum into Dreamweaver?
jimberry

Posted: 29-Oct-2012 23:01   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Perhaps what you are suggesting is pretty much what I have already done?
The geyc skin that I have attached as .jaskin file has already had the Dreamweaver content included as code snippets in typical jalbum ".inc" format. It may be possible to recast some of these as .htt files so that the skin could output those elements (header,footer, sidebar) as HTML pages to be included in iframes rather than as "include" snippets integral to the index and slide pages. This would have some maintenance advantages, but possibly only if the Dreamweaver page template could also "include" the same snippets to eliminate redundant code maintained separately in Dreamweaver andd jAlbum.
I believe the skin I have suggested can be made to work for the OP without much extra work (but I am open to the possibility of being proved wrong ;-) ).
RobM

Posted: 30-Oct-2012 01:50   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

I've downloaded the skin to have a look at, if I can get the time. What I was trying to say was to get Dreamweaver to make the standard web pages, but save them with a .htt suffix. jAlbum could then process them as template pages, converting res paths to ensure CSS and JavaScript files are correctly referenced. So no need for iFrames as all pages and photo albums share the same design and navigation menu. Probably a lot easier said than done.
jimberry

Posted: 30-Oct-2012 04:13   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Maybe I haven't explained my concept very well. If you get a chance to play with the geyc skin you might see what I am trying to do.
The repeating elements of the site design I have extracted to a series of "include" files. If Dreamweaver can use these in a template instead of having all the code "inline", different pages can then be produced by jAlbum OR Dreamweaver, whichever is more appropriate. There will be no need for double handling (such as having Dreamweaver produce .htt files for further processing by jAlbum, when it could just as easily produce finished HTML pages). At the moment, I am waiting for feedback from Tony before spending time on features which he may not want. I don't see this as a generic skin for any website, it is particularly targeted at a specific website. If successful, it could then be a starting point for a more generic skin (if there is a gap to fill).
Bear in mind that this is very much a "work in progress" and doesn't include some necessary features that will require input from Tony before being implemented.
HarlequinUK

Posted: 31-Oct-2012 10:57   in response to: jimberry in response to: jimberry

Hi Both
Sorry I haven't responded yet but my schedule has been really busy and I haven't had time to delve deeply, on the face of it the skin looks good so far, some of the features in the turtle skin were useful such as the slide show and the ability to stop and go back etc, so the control system which on first glance is not there.
My hope is that I can understand eventually, how this was carried out so that I can repeat the exercise on other web sites if required.
I recognise Dreamweaver is only one tool to do a job but the few galleries I have done have had a request to be part of the web site not just a link off to the gallery hence my need to bring the album into the site with links and styling at least around the gallery.

I can't thank you enough for all the support so far, outstanding! and you can quote me on that, Thanks,Tony
kingsport

Posted: 20-Jun-2013 11:38   in response to: HarlequinUK in response to: HarlequinUK

Ok. I'm newbie. I Sticked it. Thanks!
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums