This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 10 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 15-Jan-2013 21:45 Last Post By: jGromit
CLOSED_USER

General Photo Retouching and Editing
Posted: 11-Jan-2013 15:53

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I was just wondering which tools you guys use to brighten up/retouch your photographs before placing them in albums?

Photoshop is a just a little too complex for such simple tasks and pretty time consuming too!

I am currenty using ACDsee for my photo editing. I love the tool! gets the work done quickly and keeps my photos organised.

Just wanted to know if you've any other alternatives?
jGromit

Re: General Photo Retouching and Editing
Posted: 11-Jan-2013 17:55   in response to: CLOSED_USER in response to: CLOSED_USER

I usually just fall back on Picasa. What usually needs adjusting is brightness and/or contrast, and it's plenty good enough for those tasks. It's also good at removing things like the "spot" in the sky that results when you've gotten a drop of something on your lens. Not so good at doing color adjustments - for that, you usually need a better tool.
mrag

Posted: 11-Jan-2013 19:05   in response to: CLOSED_USER in response to: CLOSED_USER
Correct
I also like Picassa. Snapfiles has a good selection of freeware and shareware. My own basic favorite is Irfanview although PhotoFiltre7, Gimp and Paint.net are a bit more robust, still easy to use and well thought of. There seems to be a new editor coming out all the time. And don't overlook jAlbum's own image tools in the edit window and those mentioned on the blog (including an auto-correction filter).
jimberry

Posted: 11-Jan-2013 20:44   in response to: CLOSED_USER in response to: CLOSED_USER
Helpful
I find that DPP (Digital Photo Professional) that is supplied with Canon cameras is easy to use and does a good job with colour adjustment (lighten, darken, contrast, sharpening, saturation etc.) especially for RAW images.
I occasionally use an old version of Fireworks (v3 from last century!) for "airbrushing" and other reprehensible "digital enhancements" ;-).
Cropping is handled quite well with jAlbum's own image tools.
RobM

Posted: 11-Jan-2013 22:31   in response to: CLOSED_USER in response to: CLOSED_USER

For Apple users, iPhoto, Aperture and Preview (bundled with Macs and includes basic image tools). If you have an iPad (or one of the other tablet devices) there are loads of Apps that have image editing/filters functions, although most (all?) work with jpg, not raw.

I mostly stick with Photoshop, though I have used Bibble in the past, but this is now owned by Corel and called "AfterShot" and I have not tried it.
CLOSED_USER

Posted: 14-Jan-2013 15:05   in response to: CLOSED_USER in response to: CLOSED_USER

Picasa is very slow to load with my large collection :( And when i say basic editing, atlest it should give me good brightness/contrast/level controls, which picasa doesn't.
CLOSED_USER

Posted: 15-Jan-2013 15:33   in response to: CLOSED_USER in response to: CLOSED_USER

(Spam link removed, user's account permanently closed. They must think we're stupid.)

Edited by: EarlyOut on 15-Jan-2013 11:24
jGromit

Posted: 15-Jan-2013 17:23   in response to: CLOSED_USER in response to: CLOSED_USER

Turned out to be just another damn spammer. I edited the link out of his first post, so he came back and posted it again. Account closed.
mrag

Posted: 15-Jan-2013 19:22   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

BUT, it's not a bad subject. A while ago (years?), someone gave a nice writeup on a few editors on the forum, can't find it right now. But in addition to the ones I listed earlier, I've also used FotoMix. I am not a stickler on details and FotoMix doesn't have a huge learning curve so it has fit my needs a few times. For day to day quick stuff, I'm still a fan of Irfanview. Embarrassingly, Haven't made that much use yet of all jAlbum's image tools. The editor is quite good now so I suspect image tools have also gotten very good. Some seem much better suited than others for doing certain things easily: some do drawing arrows well, others quick cropping, and still others for balloon text boxes, etc.
PeterGibb

Posted: 15-Jan-2013 20:03   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

I use PaintNet.... Its brilliant and does all I need :-)

http://www.getpaint.net/

Peter
jGromit

Posted: 15-Jan-2013 21:45   in response to: mrag in response to: mrag

mrag wrote:
BUT, it's not a bad subject.

That's why I didn't just delete the whole thread. :)
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums