This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 4 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 5 Jun 20, 16:48 Last Post By: uhartmann Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
uhartmann

Neptune: Turn off metadata on mobile
Posted: 5 Jun 20, 15:52

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I would like to provide metadata for my photos. In my opinion, however, the camera icon takes up too much space on the small screen of mobile phones, as it is located in an extra line below the comment and the control buttons.
Would it be possible to either place the camera icon next to the control buttons (on the same line), or optionally disable metadata on mobile phones, similar to "Hide counter on mobile". Thanks!
JeffTucker

Re: Neptune: Turn off metadata on mobile
Posted: 5 Jun 20, 16:14   in response to: uhartmann in response to: uhartmann

I'll consider it, but it's a lot more involved than you might imagine.

The existing options allow you to place other things, like the caption, the counter, and the close icon, in multiple locations (top, bottom, left, right, etc.), so the skin can't assume that the camera icon can be placed there. Also, those other elements are all under the control of the underlying Floatbox script - it doesn't know anything about things like the camera icon, the globe icon (for maps), the download link, or the navigation arrows I add for videos on a mobile. That line below the caption is where the skin plants a number of things, not just the metadata link.

Many, many pieces of the puzzle that would have to be juggled.
uhartmann

Posted: 5 Jun 20, 16:29   in response to: uhartmann in response to: uhartmann

Okay, I get it, it's complicated to move the positions of the icon. It's not that important to me, so don't bother. Thanks anyway for the quick response.
If I understood correctly, you didn't mention the alternative solution of optionally disabling access to metadata on mobile phones (like "Hide counter on mobile"). Would that be an easier solution?
JeffTucker

Posted: 5 Jun 20, 16:39   in response to: uhartmann in response to: uhartmann

uhartmann wrote:
If I understood correctly, you didn't mention the alternative solution of optionally disabling access to metadata on mobile phones (like "Hide counter on mobile"). Would that be an easier solution?

No, that's precisely the problem. It wouldn't do any good just to hide the camera icon. I'd have to hide the line that it's on. But that line might be shared with a globe or a download icon, so I can't just hide it automatically. And each slide might be different - one might have metadata and no globe or download, but the next slide might have all three. So I can't just tell the CSS to hide the entire line on a mobile - that would hide the other options, as well. And those icons are all CSS "floats," so the line won't just magically collapse if there are no remaining icons on it.

In a non-lightbox skin like Jupiter, I can do things like this with some Javascript, "on the fly," when the slide is shown. But in Neptune, the entire slide display is already being controlled by a very complex chunk of Javascript (the Floatbox script). I can't safely wade into that to make revisions.
uhartmann

Posted: 5 Jun 20, 16:48   in response to: uhartmann in response to: uhartmann

Okay, got it. Thanks anyway.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums