This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 31 May 20, 14:08 Last Post By: Laza
starbase1

How well integrated is JAlbum with WP?
Posted: 30 May 20, 11:07

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi All, I drifted away from JAlbum when I changed to WordPress, but now I see there's this Bridge thingy.

I never liked the way WP handled images, particularly sets, but when I set up there was no effective integration. Shame as I really loved how fast and efficient it was to work with JAlbum.

So... Before I set out trying things, which could take a fair bit of time and effort, I'd really like to understand the destination better!

I'd like to see examples done by actual users rather than the people who built the software, so feel free to point me at your web site!

How well is it integrated?
For example, will a search done in WordPress find an image caption in a JAlbum slide?
Can I just upload a new version of a JAlbum album hierarchy and have WordPress pick up the new info?
Are JAbum images and their captions added to the WP media library?

Thank You!
Nick
FabioM

Re: How well integrated is JAlbum with WP?
Posted: 30 May 20, 11:19   in response to: starbase1 in response to: starbase1
Helpful
RobM

Posted: 30 May 20, 11:54   in response to: starbase1 in response to: starbase1
Helpful
JeffTucker

Posted: 30 May 20, 12:59   in response to: starbase1 in response to: starbase1
Correct
starbase1 wrote:
How well is it integrated?

I wouldn't say that it is "integrated" in any meaningful way. WP is a server-side CMS. jAlbum is a client-side album producer. The best you can do is link from one to the other. But you're never going to see, for example, a Tiger or Pluto album magically embedded in your WP site, complete with your WP banner, navigation, etc.

With the bridge, you'll see a generic slideshow of the images, which, when clicked, takes you to the jAlbum album. I suspect most users just provide a simple image or button link from the WP site to their album (ETA: This is what FabioM has done.). The album itself can provide navigation that takes the visitor back to the WP page.

For example, will a search done in WordPress find an image caption in a JAlbum slide?

No. The album just isn't part of WP. WP doesn't know what it contains.

Can I just upload a new version of a JAlbum album hierarchy and have WordPress pick up the new info?

You can upload a new version of the jAlbum album, and the WP link will still point to it. But WP doesn't know a thing about what's in it.

Are JAbum images and their captions added to the WP media library?

No. Again, jAlbum is not a server-side CMS. It doesn't do any server-side processing at all.

ETA: The jAlbum Bridge appears to be abandonware. I wouldn't count on seeing a new version that will work with the newer WP block editor, for example.
starbase1

Posted: 30 May 20, 17:41   in response to: starbase1 in response to: starbase1

Sounds like this plugin doesn't do anything a couple of cross links would do.

Thanks for the info, at least I know I'm not missing anything!
JeffTucker

Posted: 30 May 20, 19:22   in response to: starbase1 in response to: starbase1

To be clear, I'm not saying that you shouldn't use jAlbum for your photos. It's still better and more flexible than anything that's more closely integrated with WP, as far as I'm aware. But let the albums stand on their own, as they're intended to.

jAlbum skin developers design with the idea that they're going to be in control of the viewport. They're not designing albums with the idea that they're going to be shoehorned into some larger scheme, with a bunch of extra bells and whistles (navigation, searching, etc., all provided by some other application). In my own skins, I even go so far as to block the use of jAlbum widgets because they're a design problem when combined with my own stuff - they just become screen clutter, with the kinds of things that some album creators seem to love, but that I suspect most visitors would be perfectly happy without.
Laza

Posted: 31 May 20, 14:07   in response to: starbase1 in response to: starbase1

No, it's not anything like a couple of cross links. The bridge plugin creates a slideshow presentation within a predefined box through Javascript. It's not like a jAlbum skin which creates a complete web page, which cannot be embedded into another web page. Technically you can embed a web page into another but realistically it will not work, because an embedded page will not be responsive, will show usability problems (e.g. double scrollbars), and google will not index them, so you will never reach this content through search engines.

We are working on a Gutenberg update. When I released the first version it was made for TinyMCE - the editor of WP that time - but unfortunately they have changed it to Gutenberg in month after it was published. Unfortunately they didn't provide proper documentation, so my attempt to update it has failed. By now they have better documentation, fingers crossed they will not change the engine in the coming months.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums