Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 44 - Pages: 3 [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 07-Apr-2020 21:32 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
RobM

Re: jAlbum 19.4 beta for testing
Posted: 26-Mar-2020 11:46   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I notice that 'Camera date' is a read only field, and since you can modify camera date from the contextual menu, wonder if it should be read/write? Is it because of the danger of users not modifying the data correctly?
davidekholm

Posted: 26-Mar-2020 12:30   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
I notice that 'Camera date' is a read only field, and since you can modify camera date from the contextual menu, wonder if it should be read/write? Is it because of the danger of users not modifying the data correctly?

It's more about the implementation effort really. As the date can be adjusted via the adjust camera date tool, I felt it wasn't that high prio to implement this. On "popular" demand, it can be implemented too :-)
jGromit

Posted: 26-Mar-2020 12:43   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
I would leave that alone, and make only the "things a user routinely changes" fields (title, comment, keywords) editable in this view.
RobM

Posted: 26-Mar-2020 13:15   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
RobM wrote:

It's more about the implementation effort really. As the date can be adjusted via the adjust camera date tool, I felt it wasn't that high prio to implement this. On "popular" demand, it can be implemented too :-)

Thanks, it was really curiosity that drove my question.
MarkusD

Posted: 29-Mar-2020 08:18   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Please look and here this video:
https://www.markus-drueck.de/jAlbum/Videos/jAlbum%20Core/index.html#img=Video_2020-03-28_183857.mp4

If you need other files to reproduce that error please ask for them.

Thanks in advance, Markus
davidekholm

Posted: 30-Mar-2020 15:20   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
MarkusD wrote:
https://www.markus-drueck.de/jAlbum/Videos/jAlbum%20Core/index.html#img=Video_2020-03-28_183857.mp4

Thanks. Still can't reproduce, BUT I can get jAlbum's UI to hang for a long time if I load a folder containing many objects with LONG comments. I'll work on a better implementation of comment loading, for now, try switching off "jAlbum text file" as comment source under Settings->Advanced-Metadata. That should help a lot.
MarkusD

Posted: 30-Mar-2020 20:46   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
MarkusD wrote:

Thanks. Still can't reproduce, BUT I can get jAlbum's UI to hang for a long time if I load a folder containing many objects with LONG comments. I'll work on a better implementation of comment loading, for now, try switching off "jAlbum text file" as comment source under Settings->Advanced-Metadata. That should help a lot.

I did that, but it still crash the same way. I used my large comment in the Sample Portfolio project and everything went fine. So I think that some other options on my project are kind of dangerous. I try if I can isolate the problem.
davidekholm

Posted: 30-Mar-2020 23:18   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
I've updated the Windows, Mac and zip beta installers now. Multiple files needed updates:
  • jalbum-core.jar
  • Updated to current commons-imaging library, replacing Sanselan. Seems to manage reading/writing/replacing larger xmp data chunks better than Sanselan (which could fail on replacing huge xmp comments to files)
  • Added commons-io library
  • Updated extensions relying on Sanselan

Apart from replacing Apache Sanselan with the currently maintained commons-imaging library I've made performance enhancements to reading text file comments. This should be noticeable if you have a large amount of commented objects in a folder resulting i a huge comments.properties file. That file was earlier read and parsed once per image even though it contained comments for all images in that folder. Now it's being read once per folder.

Known issue: I notice that on Windows, comments are not always painted as you scroll around. I think I can address that in the next update without any significant performance impact.

davidekholm

Posted: 31-Mar-2020 13:21   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Update: I've adjusted lib/jalbum-core.jar to fix the painting issue. Give it a try by first installing the archives for your platform, then replace lib/jalbum-core.jar with this one .

I also dumped the icons next to the list view mode and the other view modes. It's more symmetrical to either have icons for all or none of them and it saves valuable UI real estate

Installers:
Windows: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-install.exe
Mac: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.dmg
Any system: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.zip
jGromit

Posted: 31-Mar-2020 13:31   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I also dumped the icons next to the list view mode and the other view modes. It's more symmetrical to either have icons for all or none of them and it saves valuable UI real estate

I'm still not happy with the tooltips on those. In fact, as I think about it, I think that List is the wrong nomenclature for this new feature. In Windows Explorer, which is what the vast majority of jAlbum users are familiar with, that would be referred to as Details. So, the five choices would be Details, File name, Title, Comment, Keywords. The tooltips would be: Thumbnails with details, Thumbnails with file name, etc. (Edit: or maybe Icons with details, etc.)

(One of the things I dislike about Finder is the inability to get that kind of customizable details view. Maybe I just haven't found it.)

Edited by: jGromit on 31-Mar-2020 07:50
jGromit

Posted: 31-Mar-2020 13:54   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Attachment list.png (42.1 KB)
Attachment details.png (29.6 KB)
A couple of screenshots - in Windows Explorer, List and Details mean different things.
davidekholm

Posted: 01-Apr-2020 14:14   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
A couple of screenshots - in Windows Explorer, List and Details mean different things.

Ah, too bad I did't have "Details" with its variants "Details view" and "Details view fields", but I agree it's more consistent with Explorer's terminology. I've changed the naming now and also adjusted tool tips. Now, double clicking the "Details" button will bring up Preferences->Details view for you too.

You need to reinstall from the archives to check out this latest beta.
jGromit

Posted: 01-Apr-2020 14:54   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
That's looking good. The ability to get to the preferences setting for the Details view is a big plus, since it's otherwise a couple of menus away, and that's the kind of thing a user might want to change frequently (for example, if I'm dealing with my stock astronomy pics, I don't need the camera date, but when dealing with the family photos, I need to see them).
MarkusD

Posted: 01-Apr-2020 18:35   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
MarkusD wrote:
3) If one really adds all new Fields under „Preferences“ from the available list to the chosen list, the chosen list shows horizontal and vertical scroll bars. Please make both lists wider and taller.

Fixed.

I would say, half way fixed ;-) There's still a horizontal scrollbar, see screenshot.

Thanks
MarkusD

Posted: 01-Apr-2020 18:36   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
That's looking good. The ability to get to the preferences setting for the Details view is a big plus, since it's otherwise a couple of menus away, and that's the kind of thing a user might want to change frequently
I agree, very good idea.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums