Thread Locked This thread is locked - replies are not allowed.

Permlink Replies: 44 - Pages: 3 [ 1 2 3 | Next ] - Last Post: 07-Apr-2020 21:32 Last Post By: davidekholm
davidekholm

jAlbum 19.4 beta for testing
Posted: 23-Mar-2020 22:24
jAlbum 19.4 is coming up (or, it might be called jAlbum 20). This version will at least contain a new list view mode in addition to the thumbnail view mode. The list view lets you specify what file details you wish to see and edit (Edited under Preferences->List view)

What do you think?

Installers:
Windows: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum-install.exe
Mac: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.dmg
Any system: http://jalbum.net/download/jAlbum.zip

I'm also working on an improved uploader, but it's not 100% ready for prime time, so only evaluate the list view mode for now.

jGromit

Re: jAlbum 19.4 beta for testing
Posted: 23-Mar-2020 22:30   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Oh, I like that a lot! Too many times I find myself bouncing between showing the file name, the title, and the comment - being able to see that stuff all in one place is a big plus. The ability to customize the list contents is a nice touch - adding the camera date, in particular, will be very helpful to a lot of users. Nice to be able to get to that without having to hover on an "info" icon.
davidekholm

Posted: 23-Mar-2020 23:23   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Happy to hear it gets your approval :-) You can minimize the thumbnails to see more rows. You actually have the same functionality as in the other view modes (drag and drop etc). Any particular metadata field that should be added to the "Available" list?
RobM

Posted: 23-Mar-2020 23:28   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
In the preference setting I'd prefer the available list on the left and the chosen on the right.

Can the list and thumbnail icons be clickable, not just the labels? Clicking the thumbnail icon should select File name. That would make them more like Explore, Edit, Review and Share icons.

Other than those minor pedantic points it looks good.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Mar-2020 23:29   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Yes, smaller thumbs work well in some situations.

I'm not a heavy metadata user, so I'll leave that to others. But one thing I often find myself looking at, to choose a good theme image, are the image dimensions. Might be nice to have those available without "info hovering," too. But in that respect, I'm probably not a typical user - I'm putting together demo albums, and have to make sure that I don't choose a theme image that's going to end up being blurry because it's not large enough. A lot of my stock images aren't huge.
jGromit

Posted: 23-Mar-2020 23:31   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM
RobM wrote:
Can the list and thumbnail icons be clickable, not just the labels?

I'll second that - I was momentarily puzzled that clicking on the little "bullet list" icon didn't do anything.
davidekholm

Posted: 24-Mar-2020 14:40   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
I've updated the beta now at http://jalbum.net/download/beta/jalbum-core.jar
Changes:
  • The icons next to the "List" and "Thumnnail" label types (view modes really) are now clickable
  • Reversed the order of the "Available" and "Chosen" lists under Preferences
  • Added "Size" and "Dimensions" fields
  • Adjusted the caret that gets painted during drag and drop operations to better match the new list view.
jGromit

Posted: 24-Mar-2020 15:06   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Looking good, but with one odd change.

If I add a folder to a project and type in its name, the name doesn't appear until I refresh the display (close/reopen, or choose titles or comments instead of file name, or hit F5). It's OK in list view, but not in the traditional thumbnail view.

ETA: This was happening in b2, even before the latest core update.
davidekholm

Posted: 24-Mar-2020 17:59   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
jGromit wrote:
Looking good, but with one odd change.

If I add a folder to a project and type in its name, the name doesn't appear until I refresh the display (close/reopen, or choose titles or comments instead of file name, or hit F5). It's OK in list view, but not in the traditional thumbnail view.

ETA: This was happening in b2, even before the latest core update.

Thanks for noticing! I think I've nailed that one now (b4). Hoping I didn't crash anything else :-)
jGromit

Posted: 24-Mar-2020 18:27   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
Yes, that seems to be back to behaving normally.
MarkusD

Posted: 24-Mar-2020 19:58   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
What do you think?
Great!

1) Having the cursor in the „Keywords“ field I would like to see the all already used keywords like we know that from the known Keyword-view in the bottom area, being able to drag & drop keywords to the „Keywords“ field.

2) Even in version b4b the new icons (left from „File name“, „Title“, „Comment“ and „Keywords“) are confusing. It took a long time until I understood the there is only one new icon and the other to "things" are just labels. To me this labels are very irritating, just remove them.

3) If one really adds all new Fields under „Preferences“ from the available list to the chosen list, the chosen list shows horizontal and vertical scroll bars. Please make both lists wider and taller.

Thanks!
davidekholm

Posted: 25-Mar-2020 01:19   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD
MarkusD wrote:

1) Having the cursor in the „Keywords“ field I would like to see the all already used keywords like we know that from the known Keyword-view in the bottom area, being able to drag & drop keywords to the „Keywords“ field.

Now fixed in the new beta

2) Even in version b4b the new icons (left from „File name“, „Title“, „Comment“ and „Keywords“) are confusing. It took a long time until I understood the there is only one new icon and the other to "things" are just labels. To me this labels are very irritating, just remove them.

Don't know about that. What are the votes on this?

3) If one really adds all new Fields under „Preferences“ from the available list to the chosen list, the chosen list shows horizontal and vertical scroll bars. Please make both lists wider and taller.

Fixed.

I was also able to speed up the list view. It could get sluggish when scrolling if you had a lot of objects and metadata. Now it's as fast as the other view modes (using multiple background threads for lazy (on-view) metadata loading)
jGromit

Posted: 25-Mar-2020 01:24   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
Don't know about that. What are the votes on this?

I think it's fine the way it is. A click or two, and a user "gets it." No sense hiding things.

ETA: I would get rid of the tooltips, however, since they're all the same. They don't convey any useful information, and a "wrong" choice doesn't produce anything problematic. It's just a voyage of discovery. ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 25-Mar-2020 13:08   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
I guess Markus objection is that it's not symmetrical to have an icon next to "All", and next to "Filename", but not next to the other radio buttons. We use the icons to make the list view "stand out" more
MarkusD

Posted: 25-Mar-2020 19:09   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm
davidekholm wrote:
I guess Markus objection is that it's not symmetrical to have an icon next to "All", and next to "Filename", but not next to the other radio buttons. We use the icons to make the list view "stand out" more
OK, I understand now. Everything's fine for me.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums