This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 6 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 07-Mar-2020 17:42 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
meyco

Copying Folders from PC to jAlbum as structured on PC
Posted: 07-Mar-2020 16:21

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I maintain a large repository of over 80k photos organized into folders on my PC. The folders include a date and the name of the event or project. I might have five or six folders having to do with one project. I want to create an album by copying the selected folders into the album including the creation of the folder itself. Five projects on the PC becomes five folders in the album. But instead jAlbum copies the contents of the folders into the album leaving it to me to create album folders and drag the photos into their respective folders. I want to copy the folder structure as is into the album. Is this possible, or is there a reason by this isn't permited?
meyco

Re: Copying Folders from PC to jAlbum as structured on PC
Posted: 07-Mar-2020 16:29   in response to: meyco in response to: meyco

I figured it out. I have to drag the folders into the album.
jGromit

Posted: 07-Mar-2020 16:30   in response to: meyco in response to: meyco

Starting from an empty, newly-created project (give it a name before you start), just SHIFT-click-and-drag each folder from File Explorer or Finder into the jAlbum Explore window.
AndreWolff

Posted: 07-Mar-2020 16:55   in response to: meyco in response to: meyco

meyco wrote:
I want to create an album by copying the selected folders into the album including the creation of the folder itself.
You don’t need to copy the folders:
Just copy the jAlbum project file of another album to your root folder, set the output folder location, the album title etc and make the album.
jGromit

Posted: 07-Mar-2020 16:58   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

He's not trying to copy folders from another jAlbum project. He's trying to copy folders from his master image repository.
AndreWolff

Posted: 07-Mar-2020 17:17   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
He's not trying to copy folders from another jAlbum project. He's trying to copy folders from his master image repository.
I know, I so I proposed to copy a jAlbum project file to his master image repository.
jGromit

Posted: 07-Mar-2020 17:42   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Now there's a great idea! Take your master image repository and clutter it up with various jAlbum files, like jalbum-settings.jap, various .info files, cached thumbnails, comment files, and so on.

And what if he wants to create an album from just several folders in that repository? Say he's got 50 folders for 2019, and wants to use 4 of them for an album. Put jalbum-settings.jap in the 2019 folder, then exclude the 46 folders he doesn't want to use? Then what does he do when he wants to create another 2019 album, using 3 other folders?

Oy, what a mess.

This, boys and girls, is how some users manage to turn their PC's into toxic waste sites, and get themselves completely wrapped around the axle. Then they make angry posts about how jAlbum has failed to adapt to what they think is their "work flow."
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums