This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 17 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 05-Jan-2020 22:00 Last Post By: RuudWesterhout Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
RuudWesterhout

Debuggin & small question
Posted: 04-Jan-2020 18:55

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello,

Allow me to start with a 'thanks' to the developers of both program as well as (this) skin, all in all this is much more serious than where I am coming from (JuiceBox).

I am a new user here, got my license only Yesterday. Although it is my expectation that I am doing something wrong, I would like to know if some kind of debugging is available for the program or for a certain skin.
I use Tiger at the moment and have been able to 'hang' the program for several times now.
This results to some kind of habit to save the project every now and then, although this is not a solution for the project not loosing some of the settings I made.

As I am new here, I am not really familiar yet as where to find certain settings.
-I am searching for a possibility to increase the height of the theme image on a page. I am able to choose the picture this header is taken from and I can adjust which part of the photo is taken. But I would like it to be a little more than the current ~20%
-in Turtle I found a possibility to have p dhoto Data button in the caption. Clicking on it would reveal or remove the photo data from the caption. As I have changed to Tiger now, I do not find the option of showing that button anymore. The result is that the photo data is provided all of the time. Can anybody hint me to where I can change that.
-if a thumbnail is made from a portrait picture, the part of the picture taken for the thumbnail is not always as I would like. Is there a way to influence which part is taken as thumbnail?
-I would like to change the 'dates' presented in the header (see screenshots), is this possible? I cannot understand the logic, f.e. is the 2020 data starting on '01' without even mentioning the month or the year. For 2018 & 2019 You can see that at least the month is still available. I would like this to be the same dd-mmm-yyyy all the time and to remove the time completely. Is this an option?

best regards,
Ruud
RobM

Re: Debuggin & small question
Posted: 04-Jan-2020 20:16   in response to: RuudWesterhout in response to: RuudWesterhout

RuudWesterhout wrote:.
I use Tiger at the moment and have been able to 'hang' the program for several times now.
Make sure Use watchdog is enabled then next time you get a hang attach the thread-dump.txt file to a post with any other information you have.

If you get an error message then see here for what to do
jGromit

Posted: 04-Jan-2020 20:26   in response to: RuudWesterhout in response to: RuudWesterhout
Helpful
RuudWesterhout wrote:

That's very surprising. I have never managed to "hang" jAlbum when experimenting with Tiger. How have you concluded that the program is "hung?" Is there an error message, either in a popup or in the console (F7)?

-I am searching for a possibility to increase the height of the theme image on a page. I am able to choose the picture this header is taken from and I can adjust which part of the photo is taken. But I would like it to be a little more than the current ~20%

See Tiger > Header > Hero > Height.

-in Turtle I found a possibility to have p dhoto Data button in the caption. Clicking on it would reveal or remove the photo data from the caption. As I have changed to Tiger now, I do not find the option of showing that button anymore. The result is that the photo data is provided all of the time. Can anybody hint me to where I can change that.

First, why are you doing anything with Turtle at all? That's a "legacy" skin - it's not distributed with the application, and it's not present in the repository of current skins. It's considered obsolete - you should not be using it for any new projects.

In Tiger, the default settings will do what you want: Tiger > Lightbox > Photo data > Show photo data, but do not check In the caption. That will provide a clickable button in the caption that will reveal the photo data - the data will not be visible unless that button is clicked.

-if a thumbnail is made from a portrait picture, the part of the picture taken for the thumbnail is not always as I would like. Is there a way to influence which part is taken as thumbnail?

Right-click on the thumbnail and choose Set crop focus.

I would like to change the 'dates' presented in the header (see screenshots), is this possible? I cannot understand the logic, f.e. is the 2020 data starting on '01' without even mentioning the month or the year. For 2018 & 2019 You can see that at least the month is still available. I would like this to be the same dd-mmm-yyyy all the time and to remove the time completely. Is this an option?

This is controlled by Settings > Advanced > General > Date format.
RuudWesterhout

Posted: 05-Jan-2020 09:54   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hello Jeff,

If a program is not responding in Windows, it is shown by 'greying out' the respective windows and I am not able to use that particular program. I do not get error messages (except windows saying that program is not responding)
If this takes minutes with no reponse, I call this 'hanging'. If it takes more than an hour before I decide to stop the program, I am sure that something is wrong. During that time I see that the program is not using any CPU ressource.

As for the 'how did You come to use Turtle', I have been searching and reading around here. Someway I came to sample galleries and user albums. F.e. I also found this one from Laza. If You check this one here, You see what I would like to achieve.
http://laza.jalbum.net/Thailand%202010/Bangkok%20II/index.html#IMG_2150.jpg
The caption has a button to show the photo data. The data itself will only be shown after You pressed that button. BUT, the data is shown inside the caption, not as an overlay over the photo itself. When I saw this, I decided that this is what I want so I downloaded the Turtle skin. At that time not knowing that it has flaws and is not supported anymore.
When I finally came to threads about changing from Turtle to Tiger I saw that Turtle is not supported anymore. So I changed to Tiger as well, but noticed a few things:
-as said, I did not find the option to have a button in the caption for showing the photo data in the caption
-I also have not found an option to succesfully delete the Turtle skin from the list of skins. I did try to configure the skins, found the option to delete, but it is actually still available. (will be solved, see further below)
-lastly I wondered that I got a sample portfolio in my project list which I had troubles deleting as well. (will also be solved, see further below)

I will check your particular answers today, so I cannot react to them yet. But they are highly appreciated. It is very nice support from your side!!

My next steps though are planned like this:
-keep the source folders and jalbum project files
-de-install jalbum
-re-install jalbum
-not install any previously downloaded skins (keep to the list available)
-change the default directories for source and output
-open the projects I have made until today
In this way I hope to eliminate eventual failures I made in the past days.
Hopefully I will not get any 'hanging up' anymore.

So this is only a temporary answer.

Best regards,
Ruud
RobM

Posted: 05-Jan-2020 10:54   in response to: RuudWesterhout in response to: RuudWesterhout

RuudWesterhout wrote:
I also have not found an option to succesfully delete the Turtle skin from the list of skins. I did try to configure the skins, found the option to delete, but it is actually still available. (will be solved, see further below)
Click on the ‘I’ icon to the right of the skin selector then click on ‘Delete’, see here for instructions and other ways of deleting a skin.
lastly I wondered that I got a sample portfolio in my project list which I had troubles deleting as well. (will also be solved, see further below)
The Sample Portfolio is bundled with jAlbum, to show users what a project typically looks like and let them play with skis and settings before starting on their own project. You can remove it from the list of recent projects, see the Contextual Menu section, here
jGromit

Posted: 05-Jan-2020 14:24   in response to: RuudWesterhout in response to: RuudWesterhout

RuudWesterhout wrote:
If this takes minutes with no reponse, I call this 'hanging'.

What is the application actually doing when this occurs? Is it making an album? If so, what does the progress bar show?

Make sure you're running jAlbum with administrator privileges in Windows. And you're not trying to run it against data on a NAS, are you? This should work, but let's eliminate some of the known problems.

If it hangs again, David will probably want to look at some thread dumps. I haven't even seen one in about a decade, so I wouldn't know what to look for in it.

But finally, you're not experimenting with a huge project with thousands of images and hundreds of folders, are you? If so, why? At this stage, you're looking for a skin, and learning about the options. You should be doing this with a test project with maybe 50 images in three folders, along with a couple of videos. Anything more than that, and you're just wasting your time.

The caption has a button to show the photo data. The data itself will only be shown after You pressed that button. BUT, the data is shown inside the caption, not as an overlay over the photo itself.

When you click the button, Tiger shows the metadata in a modal box as an overlay on the image. The alternative is to have the metadata always shown in the caption - no button. Those are the only two options.

Other skins may do this differently. Lucid, Neptune, Projector, and Saturn, for example, show the metadata as a popup when you mouseover the photo data icon - they disappear on mouseout. One example: https://jgromit.com/saturn/metadata/
jGromit

Posted: 05-Jan-2020 14:35   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

On the subject of "hanging," turn on the watchdog option, and if it happens again, retrieve and attach the thread dump text file here.

http://jalbum.net/help/en/jAlbum/Preferences#Advanced
RuudWesterhout

Posted: 05-Jan-2020 14:54   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hello Jeff,

as written earlier herewith another reaction on your thorough answer.

jGromit wrote:
That's very surprising. I have never managed to "hang" jAlbum when experimenting with Tiger. How have you concluded that the program is "hung?" Is there an error message, either in a popup or in the console (F7)?

I decided to try all the answers below before I uninstall jAlbum, just to check if they are connected with a false installation. But before I could test all, I was again able to 'hang it up' (see Screenshot 327). F7 is not doing anything. Both Firefox and Task Manager take some CPU, jAlbum just 'sits'.
Opening the console with F7 after a restart is probably not what You want, there is no helpful information about the problem available anymore.

To answer on a reaction from You which came in while I am writing this:
-my source is a SSD in my PC, the output target is also on that drive, although on another directory. I have two NAS in my LAN but they are not used for jAlbum.
-the last 'hang up' was while I was trying to find where I can right-click on a thumbnail to change crop focus. I never made it that far. So no progress bar information.
-I was NOT running using admin privileges, why is that important? It is my usual workflow to do everything with a nomal user and installations require an admin password. Just out of security.
-the size of the test-project is actually the size of my real website. In 2020 I have less than 20 pictures, but 2019 has 400 and 2018 has 500. Personally I do not mind the amount of time jAlbum uses for its operations, it all looks quite fast on my (be it old) PC.

For the second reaction I would propose I do what I told Yesterday before using that watchdog option, After re-installing (when it happens again) I'll be trying that.

jGromit wrote:
See Tiger > Header > Hero > Height.

That works perfect, thanks !!

jGromit wrote:
In Tiger, the default settings will do what you want: Tiger > Lightbox > Photo data > Show photo data, but do not check In the caption. That will provide a clickable button in the caption that will reveal the photo data - the data will not be visible unless that button is clicked.

Sorry, but this is not what I wanted. If I do not used the 'in the caption' option the button is available, that's correct. But on clicking the button the photo data is presented in an overlay on top of the picture, that is not what I wanted. As said in an earlier mail, I'd like it to be presented like it was in Turtle.
I saw in your reaction that this is not an option anymore in Tiger. Is it realistic for a user to 'copy' the behavior from Turtle towards Tiger in this respect, or is that 'unreal' for a non-professional user?

jGromit wrote:
Right-click on the thumbnail and choose Set crop focus.

Tried it after a restart, works perfect, thanks.

I would like to change the 'dates' presented in the header (see screenshots), is this possible? I cannot understand the logic, f.e. is the 2020 data starting on '01' without even mentioning the month or the year. For 2018 & 2019 You can see that at least the month is still available. I would like this to be the same dd-mmm-yyyy all the time and to remove the time completely. Is this an option?

jGromit wrote:
This is controlled by Settings > Advanced > General > Date format.

I saw that the date of a picture taken in the photo data was completely presented wrong, so I changed this to dd-MMM-yyyy HH:mm The photo data was presented correctly after that change. This setting is the same in all three projects I have. Yet presented differently, as said earlier.

OK, now I am going to re-install, will come back here later.

Regards,
Ruud
RuudWesterhout

Posted: 05-Jan-2020 15:09   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Hello Rob,

RobM wrote:
Click on the ‘I’ icon to the right of the skin selector then click on ‘Delete’, see here for instructions and other ways of deleting a skin.

I did that before I de-installed the software. I did not work normal.
Just now I re-installed the software. The effect is not really what I wanted. The 'old' projects' were still known to jAlbum, as was my license data.
But it was now possible to delete Turtle. The skin was effectively removed from the list. BUT. .. .. .

RobM wrote:
The Sample Portfolio is bundled with jAlbum, to show users what a project typically looks like and let them play with skis and settings before starting on their own project. You can remove it from the list of recent projects, see the Contextual Menu section, here

This was strange. It was what I did before, but it kept coming back.
Now, after deleting Turtle, I tried it again. First error was that Turtle is missing, if I want to install it. I declined after which I got a huge error message.

An unexpected error occurred. Please see detailed description below:

java.lang.ClassCastException: class java.lang.Boolean cannot be cast to class java.lang.String (java.lang.Boolean and java.lang.String are in module java.base of loader 'bootstrap')
+ at tiger.Gui$2$9.importVariables(Gui.java:1309)+
+ at se.datadosen.util.PropertyBinder.doSyncUI(PropertyBinder.java:203)+
+ at se.datadosen.util.PropertyBinder.doSyncUI(PropertyBinder.java:227)+
+ at se.datadosen.util.PropertyBinder.syncUI(PropertyBinder.java:194)+
+ at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbumFrame.engine2UI(JAlbumFrame.java:2113)+
+ at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbumFrame.engine2UI(JAlbumFrame.java:2087)+
+ at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbumFrame.doLoadProject(JAlbumFrame.java:1839)+
+ at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbumFrame.newProject(JAlbumFrame.java:1488)+
+ at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbumFrame.closeProject(JAlbumFrame.java:1518)+
+ at se.datadosen.jalbum.JAlbumManager$4.actionPerformed(JAlbumManager.java:143)+
+ at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicMenuItemUI$Handler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)+
+ at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)+

The sample portfolie was still available.
Next step is removing jAlbum once more and restart the PC before I install it again.

Regards,
Ruud
jGromit

Posted: 05-Jan-2020 15:19   in response to: RuudWesterhout in response to: RuudWesterhout

RuudWesterhout wrote:
Now, after deleting Turtle, I tried it again. First error was that Turtle is missing, if I want to install it.

That's because you opened a saved project that was saved with the Turtle skin.

I declined after which I got a huge error message.

Let it reinstall Turtle. Change the choice of skin for the project to something else, like Tiger, save it, and close it. Now delete Turtle. The easiest way is to open the config directory - Tools, Open directories, Config directory - exit from jAlbum completely, go to the now-open File Manager window, open the skins subdirectory, and delete the Turtle folder.

The sample portfolie was still available.

The project list on the left is just a "most recently used projects" list. If you open one of them, click on the little down-arrow to the right of its name, and choose Remove from list, you won't keep seeing it, unless you manually open it again. Either that, or just ignore the entry - it's not doing any harm.
jGromit

Posted: 05-Jan-2020 15:29   in response to: RuudWesterhout in response to: RuudWesterhout

RuudWesterhout wrote:
I was NOT running using admin privileges, why is that important?

Why do you think I mentioned it? It's because jAlbum requires that level of permissions. Without it, you will have endless problems. And I'm beginning to suspect that's exactly what's happening here.

I saw in your reaction that this is not an option anymore in Tiger. Is it realistic for a user to 'copy' the behavior from Turtle towards Tiger in this respect, or is that 'unreal' for a non-professional user?

These are two entirely different skins, coded in very different ways. There's no way to "copy" behavior from one to the other. It would be like trying to install a Ford V-8 engine in a Tesla.
jGromit

Posted: 05-Jan-2020 15:40   in response to: RuudWesterhout in response to: RuudWesterhout

Attachment weirdDate.png (112.0 KB)
Attachment dateFormat.png (16.5 KB)
Attachment headerDate.png (130.4 KB)
Attachment exifDate.png (5.7 KB)
RuudWesterhout wrote:
I saw that the date of a picture taken in the photo data was completely presented wrong, so I changed this to dd-MMM-yyyy HH:mm The photo data was presented correctly after that change. This setting is the same in all three projects I have. Yet presented differently, as said earlier.

There's only one setting for the date format, and it should produce the same thing in both places. See screenshots.

But Tiger does do some weird things with date ranges. I wish I could convince Laza to simplify it. See the weirdDate.png screenshot. In that case, there are just three images, shot on Feb. 13 and Feb. 15. Personally, that's not how I would want to show a range of dates, but it's not my skin.

ETA: I'm going to start a new thread about this particular problem, because it's really awful.
RuudWesterhout

Posted: 05-Jan-2020 15:45   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hello Jeff,

it makes no sense to me how this is working.
Uninstalled once more, first complaint was again the Turtle skin, I denied again (sorry, saw your message too late). Turtle was not in the list nor in any of the directories.
Sample Portfolio not in the list of recent projects either. But in the project folder it was created again. I used Windows explorer to remove the folder there.
I had a quick look at the three projects I had and changed the date format. When it is not showing the time, I find it acceptable. In this case the time is not provided in the photo data either, but that is OK for me.

Now then, I am all set ??
Closed jAlbum and save projects as requested.

Opened jAlbum again and ?!?!? the Sample Portfolio is again available. Now why?, I did not have it in the list. so I was unable to click on it.

I removed it again, using the option in the right triangle menu in the recent project folder. I did NOT save as proposed and then close the program again. After reopening jAlbum the sample portfolio is not there anymore.

Now then, am I finally all set?
Check the project folder in windows and ?!?!? the sample portfolio is again there. I really do not get it.

Yup, I deleted it again, opened jAlbum and guess what, Sample Portfolio is in the list of recent projects again and it also recreated the folder.

As said, I do not understand the logic here.

Regards,
Ruud
jGromit

Posted: 05-Jan-2020 15:57   in response to: RuudWesterhout in response to: RuudWesterhout

Just leave the Sample Portfolio alone. If you delete it (rather than just hiding it in the project list), jAlbum will put it back, and it will reappear.

Please stop fighting this. Just open the Sample Portfolio project, choose Remove from list, and move on. Do not try to delete the project from the My Albums location.

If it helps with your OCD, you can delete the contents of My Albums > Sample Portfolio - just leave the empty folder there.
RuudWesterhout

Posted: 05-Jan-2020 17:32   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Hello Jeff,

Haha, I had to google that, but OCD probably fits as a description here!

So to sum up my experience now:
-after twice removing and newly installing I have not had any problems with the program hanging up
-adjust theme image size solved, thanks
-photo data topic, I'll have to live with it :)
-thumbnail focus solved, thanks
-date format topic, I'll have to live with it

1st try with video was very nice. It shows nicely and the size has been changed to something acceptable, great. The slideshow waits for the video to play til the end and then continues, also nice.

1st try with panorama was not so nice. The slideshow continues although the 360 degree player just started. Also I will have to adapt here. My current player (pano2vr) allows to 'crop' the view. As my panos are made with a drone, the top part is not available. I'll have to add some sky as otherwise the panos are not looking nice.

As to my workflow with Lightroom, I also like the result. I can add a title in jAlbum and overwrite the source without loosing that title. I also can add photos and get them added nicely at the end without changing the order.

So thanks for the advice and support.

Best regards,
Ruud
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums