This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 20 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 22 Feb 23, 04:17 Last Post By: AnCa Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
preichl2

Amazon S3
Posted: 22 Dec 19, 11:26

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hello,

is there any way how to directly upload albums to S3? or do you plan to add this feature?
RobM

Re: Amazon S3
Posted: 22 Dec 19, 13:37   in response to: preichl2 in response to: preichl2

JAlbum uses FTP to upload, so if Amazon lets you upload via FTP then use jAlbum’s built in FTP. You can also upload your albums outside of JAlbum, the album is just a folder of files.
JeffTucker

Posted: 22 Dec 19, 13:57   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Not sure of the details, but even with FileZilla, you need the "pro" version (see https://youtu.be/Ea6WVWADQJc). Amazon S3 access is not standard FTP or SFTP.
RobM

Posted: 22 Dec 19, 14:53   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

jGromit wrote:
Not sure of the details, but even with FileZilla, you need the "pro" version (see https://youtu.be/Ea6WVWADQJc). Amazon S3 access is not standard FTP or SFTP.
It would appear you can use drag and drop if using Amazon’s S3 console, https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/user-guide/upload-objects.html
But it only supports certain versions of Chrome and Firefox browsers.
preichl2

Posted: 25 Dec 19, 15:19   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Yes, I can use any software to upload to S3 instead of Jalbum. Anyway, I was wonder if JAlbum planning to implement it because it would be easier to use it the same way as FTP.

And no, AWS does not support FTP protocol without 3rd party service.
davidekholm

Posted: 26 Dec 19, 18:16   in response to: preichl2 in response to: preichl2

It's on the todo to investigate adding S3 support to jAlbum's upload protocols.
tzaranek

Posted: 4 Aug 20, 03:24   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

This would be something I'd be interested in too. Yeah one can use S3 client software but it would be way easier and better integrated if it was just direct to s3.

Since you're using Java you can use the AWS SDK for it. It is fairly simple to implement (let me know if I can help with that, I've got some experience with that in Java).
davidekholm

Posted: 6 Aug 20, 20:16   in response to: tzaranek in response to: tzaranek

Thank you. I'm going to give AWS integration a shot very soon now.
AntiqueWoodworks

Posted: 3 Mar 22, 21:05   in response to: preichl2 in response to: preichl2

Looks like this thread has not been updated in a couple of years.
Did anything come of this research?
Is this on the feature roadmap?
It would be great to have an S3 integration right in the jAlbum app.
Thanks!
davidekholm

Posted: 7 Mar 22, 14:38   in response to: AntiqueWoodworks in response to: AntiqueWoodworks

Thanks for reminding me about this. Other things have come in between, but I should probably get this support added. Any more votes for S3 support?
al-j

Posted: 7 Mar 22, 17:11   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Absolutely - been waiting for a long time for attention to this subject.

Al-J
grichard48

Posted: 21 Feb 23, 17:41   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Yes please!
AntiqueWoodworks

Posted: 22 Feb 23, 03:17   in response to: grichard48 in response to: grichard48

I recently went with Google Firebase rather than Amazon S3. It has actually been working very well. It is free or nearly free with my nearly 20gb album. The set-up was pretty easy. The performance has been great in the US. I believe jAlbum is hosted across the pond, so I encountered performance issues from time to time with their hosting. I wish I had done this several years ago.
JeffTucker

Posted: 22 Feb 23, 03:19   in response to: AntiqueWoodworks in response to: AntiqueWoodworks

AntiqueWoodworks wrote:
I believe jAlbum is hosted across the pond, so I encountered performance issues from time to time with their hosting. I wish I had done this several years ago.

jAlbum hosting is now on S3, rather than in Stockholm, so the former geographic penalty should be much reduced.
AntiqueWoodworks

Posted: 22 Feb 23, 03:23   in response to: JeffTucker in response to: JeffTucker

Interesting. When did that transition take place? I switched close to December 2022 to Firebase.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums