This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 28 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 21-Dec-2019 15:28 Last Post By: Laza Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
linuxrog

Text page in Tiger?
Posted: 19-Dec-2019 00:03

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I want a page of text to appear in a Tiger Album. I tried the .htt page trick, but the page doesn't show after Make. What is the latest on this topic?

/Roger
RobM

Re: Text page in Tiger?
Posted: 19-Dec-2019 10:46   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog
Helpful
Have you got the right setting to show pages, http://jalbum.net/help/en/Skin/Tiger/Sections/Pages

Can you attach the .htt file you have made?
linuxrog

Posted: 19-Dec-2019 20:04   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

It appears that I had to turn-off Hide "Pages" in the settings you pointed out. Problem was not with the .htt page.

I rather have the text appear like a slide but this is pretty good.

Thanks, Rob.

/Roger
RobM

Posted: 19-Dec-2019 20:34   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

linuxrog wrote:
It appears that I had to turn-off Hide "Pages" in the settings you pointed out. Problem was not with the .htt page.

I rather have the text appear like a slide but this is pretty good.

Thanks, Rob.

/Roger

If you want text to appear like a slide, and it is just a short paragraph, then you could try making a screen grab of the text and using the captured image. But you would need to check it remained legible with different browser sized windows - maybe need a large font size but watch out for artefacts as it scales down. It might not look good, but worth a try maybe.
linuxrog

Posted: 19-Dec-2019 20:58   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Rob,

I've done that for short text but like the .htt approach better for more lengthy presentations of text. I sometimes use jAlbum for illustrated lectures wherein pics are the main focus but text is useful. For example: history to accompany a presentation on travel to the Philippines.

You get me to thinking: I could add some styling to the html in the .htt page to make it look better.

/Roger
jGromit

Posted: 19-Dec-2019 21:09   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog
Helpful
Why not create the text in a word processing program, then save it as a PDF? Tiger (and many other skins) can show a PDF as a slide within the gallery.

ETA: Just checked, and my own word processor, LibreOffice Writer, has that option buried under a File, Export menu, rather than as a Save As. So, it's something you might have to hunt for a bit. Of course, if you had a real operating system, the printer drivers would include something called Microsoft print to PDF. Anything I can print, I can also save as a PDF, instead.
linuxrog

Posted: 19-Dec-2019 21:13   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I've done that too. Am experimenting w/ just using what's available directly in jAlbum. See attached .htt.

I'm satisfied with this for now.

Thanks.

<poke!>
jGromit

Posted: 19-Dec-2019 21:18   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

Well, jAlbum isn't really built to produce nicely formatted text, so why not use something else that does the job better? After all, jAlbum doesn't take photographs, either, but that doesn't stop us from using JPG's. ;)
RobM

Posted: 19-Dec-2019 21:25   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

linuxrog wrote:
I've done that too. Am experimenting w/ just using what's available directly in jAlbum. See attached .htt.
You might want to revisit your file as the ul, li tags do not match.
RobM

Posted: 19-Dec-2019 21:28   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

linuxrog wrote:
Rob,

I've done that for short text but like the .htt approach better for more lengthy presentations of text. I sometimes use jAlbum for illustrated lectures wherein pics are the main focus but text is useful. For example: history to accompany a presentation on travel to the Philippines.

You get me to thinking: I could add some styling to the html in the .htt page to make it look better.

/Roger

Have you tried using the 'About' template, with or without an image? All you need to do is enter your text in the templates field(s), and it will be styled to match.
jGromit

Posted: 19-Dec-2019 21:50   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
You might want to revisit your file as the ul, li tags do not match.

Using HTML as a word processor is a minefield. Lots of opportunities for producing code that will break an entire page. ;)
linuxrog

Posted: 19-Dec-2019 21:53   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

HUH? jAlbum is loaded with html and css!

Is it possible that html in the .htt page could mess up a whole album? If so, exampe?
jGromit

Posted: 19-Dec-2019 22:06   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

linuxrog wrote:
HUH? jAlbum is loaded with html and css!

Of course it is. But it's designed to produce web pages, not fancy text documents. Use the right tool for the job. Why do you think PDF's exist?

Is it possible that html in the .htt page could mess up a whole album? If so, exampe?

Tough to do with an .htt page, I suppose, but I've seen a one-character error in the HTML embedded in an image comment cripple an entire album.

Bottom line: always run your HTML through a validator. Browsers are surprisingly error-tolerant, but getting sloppy will eventually bite you.
linuxrog

Posted: 19-Dec-2019 23:03   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Why PDFs? To have a cross platform document reader, i.e., not everyone has MS Word, etc.

Of course a missing or extra quotation mark can mess up a whole html page! I've done it and had to depend upon color coding in an editor to find the place where I screwed up. (That last happened in the last milleniam.)

Happy Holidays. Enjoyed the discussion.
jGromit

Posted: 19-Dec-2019 23:09   in response to: linuxrog in response to: linuxrog

When I go online to get a copy of the user's manual for my washing machine, I get a PDF. I don't get a web page built with HTML and CSS, and I don't get a Word document. PDF's are the bridge - they're a way to show formatted text in a web browser without wrestling with HTML/CSS, which is almost comically ill-suited to the task. So why not use them?

LibreOffice is an MS Office clone, and is free. Win10, macOS, or Linux. Word processor, spreadsheet, database, etc. It's all there.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums