This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 5 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 18-Dec-2019 15:21 Last Post By: jGromit Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
jGromit

IPTC photo data
Posted: 17-Dec-2019 15:23

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Same error in multiple skins: Animatics, Lucid, and Projector:

https://jalbum.net/forum/thread.jspa?threadID=55364
Laza

Re: IPTC photo data
Posted: 18-Dec-2019 10:54   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

I'm trying to find some logic, but the new metadata extractor extracts some XMP fields as "xmp", others as "Xmp".
Laza

Posted: 18-Dec-2019 12:25   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Can you please test if this works better? (Don't forget to reset the photo data box to use the new defaults!)

Edited by: Laza on 18-Dec-2019 12:31
Removed skin, attached a newer in the other thread
jGromit

Posted: 18-Dec-2019 14:34   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Attachment settings.png (32.5 KB)
Attachment result.png (65.8 KB)
That looks better. I can't comment on the xmp fields, because the only images I have that are populated with them have been written by jAlbum itself, and those are consistent. The IPTC fields always seem to be Iptc.something, so at least that appears to be a safe bet.

But I'm puzzled about one thing. You've added a bunch of Iptc.IIM/something fields, which I've never seen in the wild. But it seems to pick up Iptc.Object Name, even though that specific field isn't listed in the selection box - there's only Iptc.IIM/Object Name.

Frankly, I still find that whole photo data selection method to be wildly over-complicated and fiddly, with too many confusing options, and inadequate control over the labels. Sorry. I hate saying "my own skins do it better," but I think they do. See Neptune examples, attached. ;)
Laza

Posted: 18-Dec-2019 14:53   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Congrats, it looks pretty neat. I don't want to make changes now, as I'm afraid of breaking backwards compatibility.

Iptc has multiple, incompatible generations. The format Iptc.IIM/ is the latest. They have a long list of matching fields to old standards and xmp:
https://www.iptc.org/std/photometadata/specification/IPTC-PhotoMetadata

I tried to pick a handful of them that looked useful, but it's still misty to me.
jGromit

Posted: 18-Dec-2019 15:21   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

That's pretty much why I just let the user enter the fields - a quick look at the results of List metadata, and you know how things are stored in your images. The EXIF fields are standard and unchanging, but even there, I let the user supply whatever labels he wants.

But yes, doing a "variable conversion" routine on an existing project to go from one scheme to the other would be almost impossible. Just thinking about it makes me woozy.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums