This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 15 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 11-Dec-2019 10:50 Last Post By: Joergenk Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
Joergenk

Viewing angle from spherical pictures
Posted: 07-Dec-2019 15:57

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment img_192-k.jpg (76.8 KB)
Attachment img_184-k.jpg (71.2 KB)
Hi,

I have another question regarding the viewing angle from spherical pictures.
When you open a picture, It looks like you are zoomed in already and you can not zoom back any more.

Spherical pictures are made with a Ricoh Theta. You can upload and view these pic also at Ricoh.

Here are two screenshots to show the problem.

This pic is on the Ricoh page (with correct viewing angle):
(img_184-k.jpg)

This one is from jAlbum (you see, that it is zoomed in):
(img_192-k.jpg)

The zoom slider is already on the left.

So how can this be changed?

Rgs.
Jörgen

Edited by: Joergenk on 07-Dec-2019 15:58

Edited by: jGromit on 07-Dec-2019 10:18, spelling. "Angel" is a celestial creature with wings. ;)
jGromit

Re: Viewing angle from spherical pictures
Posted: 07-Dec-2019 16:20   in response to: Joergenk in response to: Joergenk

Which skin are you using? Can you give us a link to a live album that shows the problem?
Joergenk

Posted: 08-Dec-2019 00:08   in response to: Joergenk in response to: Joergenk

Hi,

here the Ricoh link: https://theta360.com/s/nIvOzUHTbejYNtUlfXZVFnIpM

For the other I wait for an OK to share
jGromit

Posted: 08-Dec-2019 01:53   in response to: Joergenk in response to: Joergenk

We need a link to the jAlbum album, not to some other site.
Joergenk

Posted: 08-Dec-2019 09:46   in response to: Joergenk in response to: Joergenk

I Understand, (the link will come after I get an OK to share in public)

the first link is just to compare the both spherical pictures and to show how Ricoh display the picture and how jAlbum display it.
jGromit

Posted: 08-Dec-2019 14:52   in response to: Joergenk in response to: Joergenk

Make an album with just that one image. Make sure you include the lifeboat file.
Joergenk

Posted: 08-Dec-2019 18:26   in response to: Joergenk in response to: Joergenk

Hi,

here some samples: http://www.klein-bild.de/album/

First question, is it possible to add pictures here in the forum, to show my problems?

The 1. picture is an spherical picture processed by jAlbum.
The 2. picture is the same one (as Link) from my home page processed by the "Marzipano tool"
You can see at first the difference in picture quality, jAlbum has problems to display vertical lines, vertical lines are slightly offset. (have a look at the frame of the fence)
The next is the different in field of view, I have tried different parameters in the picture settings under 360°.
No change has can be seen at the spherical picture in the album.
Same as for the starting point, it is not as originally at the two person, it is at jAlbum always on the right site.

The same happens to the next two picture, 1. one is processed by JAlbum, the 2. a link to Ricoh.
Picture quality is bad, field of view is wrong.

So what can do to get better picture quality (no vertical lines offset) and how can I set the parameters from the picture under 360° settings?

Regards
Jörgen
jGromit

Posted: 08-Dec-2019 18:58   in response to: Joergenk in response to: Joergenk

I'm going to move this thread to the Tiger forum section, since it involves the specific spherical pano viewing script used in that skin. It's all a mystery to me, since I don't own a camera that will produce these kinds of images.
Laza

Posted: 09-Dec-2019 07:58   in response to: Joergenk in response to: Joergenk

Can you please help me what to look for? I'm attaching here the image I see, but I can't see any problems. The Theta image might look somewhat sharper but that's fully zoomed out, so more pixels are rendered. The fully zoomed out view however looks more distorted and not natural to human eye. I guess this was the reason the library we use (Photosphere / tree.js) chose to start with a slight zoom in (~20%). But users can control the zoom with the + - slider.

Also note, jAlbum is resampling 3D larger images to 4096x2048. You can still choose the original (right-click -> Use original) if quality is more important than load speed and bandwidth.
Laza

Posted: 09-Dec-2019 08:00   in response to: Joergenk in response to: Joergenk

One more thing: there's a 360° image panel in Edit mode, by which you can control a lot of things, e.g. the initial view.
AndreWolff

Posted: 10-Dec-2019 09:54   in response to: Laza in response to: Laza

Laza wrote:
One more thing: there's a 360° image panel in Edit mode, by which you can control a lot of things, e.g. the initial view.
I doubt whether these parameters do have any effect: I changed the 'Horizontal Field Of View from 70 to 140, but I don't see any effect in the final view.

The same I think for the other 2 lines, but honestly I have no idea what I can expect from these parameters, because it is nowhere explained in the documentation, so I think not any user will understand these lines.

I tried in my own FancyBox skin the effect of the min_fov parameter, but I don't see an effect either with 'min_fov: 140,'.

I agree with you that I can't see a significant problem with vertical lines, but there seems to be an issue: https://github.com/JeremyHeleine/Photo-Sphere-Viewer/issues/40

The display of the south pole is indeed deformed; you can see this in my FancyBox test album open the 5th thumbnail and compare it next with the the 6th image where the same photo is displayed in the Marzipano viewer.

I think the Marzipano viewer is indeed a better viewer as we use.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 10-Dec-2019 10:45
RobM

Posted: 10-Dec-2019 11:39   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
Laza wrote:
I doubt whether these parameters do have any effect: I changed the 'Horizontal Field Of View from 70 to 140, but I don't see any effect in the final view.

The same I think for the other 2 lines, but honestly I have no idea what I can expect from these parameters, because it is nowhere explained in the documentation, so I think not any user will understand these lines.

The documentation clearly states support for those settings is skin dependent:
‘ The other settings are stored as metadata, under 'xmp.GPano:' and are used by some photo sphere viewers, see individual skin manuals for information on those attributes.’ It is for skin developers to show if they are supported and what they do (with whatever viewer software they are using).
AndreWolff

Posted: 10-Dec-2019 12:56   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

RobM wrote:
The documentation clearly states support for those settings is skin dependent:
‘ The other settings are stored as metadata, under 'xmp.GPano:' and are used by some photo sphere viewers, see individual skin manuals for information on those attributes.’ It is for skin developers to show if they are supported and what they do (with whatever viewer software they are using).
Well I can't find it in any skin manual, so it is apparantly not supported by any skin.
I think in that case it is better to remove these parameters.
Joergenk

Posted: 10-Dec-2019 22:35   in response to: Joergenk in response to: Joergenk

Attachment pano1.jpg (60.1 KB)
Attachment img_230.jpg (62.4 KB)
Hi,

it is difficult to explain a problem in a foreign language if you can not support this with pictures here in the text.I will try again and with attached pictures.

The spherical viewer has some bucks (in my opinion).

First is the (let say the south pole) the bottom of the spherical picture is not displayed correctly. (My Logo is unreadable) The same applies for the top, the north pole. Have a look at the attached picture img_230.jpg.

The second is that straight lines (vertical lines) are not straight, see attached pictures pano1.jpg and the red arrows.

Compare this pictures with the Pano made with Marzipano Tool

It looks like some pixel in the Pano are shifted and not correct in Line. Very good to see on vertical lines in the picture.
I am not sure if I could explain this good enough.
Because of this shift the picture quality is not good as the original.
Laza

Posted: 11-Dec-2019 08:59   in response to: Joergenk in response to: Joergenk

Can you please try to "Use original" so we are talking about the same input. Perhaps it's the resizing hurts.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums