This question is answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 25 - Pages: 2 [ Previous | 1 2 ] - Last Post: 31-Mar-2020 12:37 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
davidekholm

Re: Sample Portfolio removal problem
Posted: 07-Jan-2020 14:15   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Click to reply to this thread Reply
I could make a note in, say the registry, if the user has opted to delete Sample Portfolio. The point with keeping it preinstalled in the "Recent albums" list is to really encourage exploration for first time users. I don't want to miss that.
davidekholm

Posted: 07-Jan-2020 14:23   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Alternatively, I could create that dummy empty "Sample Portfolio" directory in the "My Albums" folder in order to prevent it to be re-created when jAlbum launches. That way, the few users that want it to reappear can simply delete that empty folder and restart jAlbum again.
jGromit

Posted: 07-Jan-2020 14:36   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
Alternatively, I could create that dummy empty "Sample Portfolio" directory in the "My Albums" folder in order to prevent it to be re-created when jAlbum launches. That way, the few users that want it to reappear can simply delete that empty folder and restart jAlbum again.

And every time a user deletes it, it comes back.

A user looks in My Albums, sees an entry for a project he doesn't want, and deletes it. And it keeps coming back. This leads to angry pounding on the Delete key.

Don't most new users start by adding images and making an album? Are they really exploring the Sample Portfolio, instead? I guess I'm missing something here.
jGromit

Posted: 07-Jan-2020 15:55   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

davidekholm wrote:
I could make a note in, say the registry, if the user has opted to delete Sample Portfolio.

A compromise.... When jAlbum is installed, Sample Portfolio is copied to My Albums, and shows up in the Recent projects list. If the user deletes it, it stays gone. Forever. Even after reinstalling jAlbum or installing a new version.

For cross-OS use, maybe not a registry entry, but maybe something in the config directory. Perhaps something "special" in recent-projects.txt. If the user deletes that config file, or manually edits it, Sample Portfolio might reappear, but he's got no one to blame for that except himself.

But provide a File, Open Sample Portfolio menu item, in case he wants to get it back. He should never be wandering around in the program directory.
davidekholm

Posted: 13-Jan-2020 14:23   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Good idea. It's a fair amount of users who explore "Sample portfolio" on their initial jAlbum tests actually.
davidekholm

Posted: 13-Jan-2020 15:00   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

I'll probably add a File->"Open samples" menu for future versions, but now I'm using a Preferences API (i.e. Registry on Windows, other means on other platforms) to remember to not re-add the sample project if you've deleted it via project -> Delete entire project. Do a core update to experience this marvelous enhancement :-D
jGromit

Posted: 13-Jan-2020 15:13   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Attachment deleteSample.png (5.4 KB)
That's much better. :)

Just one little glitch, something that might stop a user in his tracks for a moment or two. See screenshot. ;)
davidekholm

Posted: 13-Jan-2020 15:46   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

Good that you noticed that. We should remove that reference on the next release.
MarkusD

Posted: 30-Mar-2020 19:14   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Just if there are users out there who do use the Sample Portfolio very often to test things and delete the Sample Portfolio to get a fresh and clean test environment again, they have to delete the key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft\Prefs\se\datadosen\jalbum\deleted/Sample/Projects" in the Windows registry to get back the Sample Portfolio. ;-)
jGromit

Posted: 30-Mar-2020 19:28   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

Attachment deleteSample.png (5.4 KB)
Rather than messing around in the registry (always dangerous), you can just open the program directory, go to the samples subdirectory, and copy Sample Portfolio to your own My Albums directory.

BTW, David, the misleading warning is still in there - see screenshot.
davidekholm

Posted: 31-Mar-2020 12:37   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

BTW, David, the misleading warning is still in there - see screenshot.

Thanks. I've taken care of that now for the coming release
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums