This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 0. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 9 - Pages: 1 - Last Post: 19-Oct-2019 11:15 Last Post By: davidekholm Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
bostik

Drag and Drop fails
Posted: 14-Oct-2019 00:27

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Hi, I have just updated to JAlbum 19 and now drag and drop freezes mid-drag.
I am using latest version of windows 10 home edition.
I tried dragging a whole folder, it froze. Therefore I tried just one picture, it froze again.
Click and open on one picture works okay, but I want drag and drop.

Please advise.

Edited by: bostik on 14-Oct-2019 00:29
rfm2

Re: Drag and Drop fails
Posted: 14-Oct-2019 22:27   in response to: bostik in response to: bostik

Since I do not normally use drag & drop I'm probably not the best one to reply to your post, but I did some tests to see if I can help explain what's happening. I also have jAlbum 19 and the latest Win 10.

If you create a new album, or open an existing one, click on "Add" at the top, click on "From disk", open explorer, find/click/drag the desired folder name to the open album, it will freeze. I didn't try it but I suspect that even dragging a single picture from the folder after having used "Add" at the top will also freeze. Task manager is required to get out of jAlbum.

If you do not click on "Add" at the top, use explorer to find/click/drag the folder name to the open album it will place the folder as a sub-folder to the open album. You can click on the folder icon in the open album and it will show the pictures in the folder, but if you make the album it will not contain any pictures.

If you do not click on "Add"at the top, use explorer to find and open the desired folder, highlight all the pictures in the folder, then drag them into the album they will all go in, and making the album works just fine.

I don't know if this is different from how it worked in version 18 since I had never used drag & drop with 18.

Edited by: rfm2 on 14-Oct-2019 22:57
jGromit

Posted: 14-Oct-2019 23:13   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

I'm still a couple of weeks away from being back at my Windows machine, but in macOS 10.15, drag-and-drop exhibits similar misbehavior. It's particularly bad if you try to drag in some images to start a new project.
RobM

Posted: 14-Oct-2019 23:17   in response to: rfm2 in response to: rfm2

Whenever JAlbum freezes/hangs you should turn on the watchdog under preferences. Then run JAlbum again and after it has stopped working for over 20 seconds locate the thread-dump.txt file and attach it to your post.
jGromit

Posted: 14-Oct-2019 23:19   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Probably not necessary in this case. The problem is cross-platform, and reproducing it is very easy, so David should be able to hunt it down quickly.
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Oct-2019 17:50   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Helpful
This has now been fixed along with other issues reported for v19. Start jAlbum 19.0 and let it auto-update to 19.0.5. I'll post detailed info on this update under update announcements.

I'll repackage the installer archives to give new users v19.0.5 right away, but this update won't show in under release notes as it's a fully free service update (does not require license extensions)
jGromit

Posted: 15-Oct-2019 20:16   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Drag-and-drop now appears to be problem-free in macOS 10.15. Can't test anything else at the moment, so I'll leave it to the original poster to check it in Windows.
davidekholm

Posted: 15-Oct-2019 20:18   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit
Helpful
Good. I could reproduce the problem on both OSes and also verify that it's fixed on both OSes
bostik

Posted: 19-Oct-2019 00:00   in response to: bostik in response to: bostik

All works fine now, updated to 19/0/6.
Thanks all for your help, and David of course for actually fixing it.
davidekholm

Posted: 19-Oct-2019 11:15   in response to: bostik in response to: bostik

You're welcome. Thank you for reporting it.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums