This question is answered.

Permlink Replies: 29 - Pages: 2 [ 1 2 | Next ] - Last Post: 24-Oct-2019 11:32 Last Post By: AndreWolff Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
AndreWolff

jAbum light version without the features I never use
Posted: 05-Oct-2019 11:32

Click to reply to this thread Reply
Attachment jAlbumHangs.PNG (31.3 KB)
The newest jAlbum version 19 hangs on my latest Windows 10 system sometimes after a Make, see attached screen-shot. I have to use the Windows Task Manager to stop the jAlbum program. If I next open the project again in jAlbum I can Make the program without problems.

I can't reproduce this problem yet, but I think jAlbum is becoming too large and too complicated.

I think it is time to make a also a jAlbum light version where the next features which I never use are removed:

Integrated preview browser, I use only the External browser
Spelling checker
Search bar
Backups of album project, because I do a backup of all my data files
Hard links
Lifeboat file
Edit image tool-bar, text and logo effects, etc. because I use external image editors like Lightroom, PhotoShop, PSE etc.
ratings and flags to be set via context menu
Share tab, because these share functions are available in the skins
Review tab, better done in Lightroom or other programs
Menu item File / Project gallery
All menu Organize items
"Mirror content" linking

Who will stop using jAbum if these features are removed?
davidekholm

Re: jAbum light version without the features I never use
Posted: 05-Oct-2019 11:39   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Many users appreciate some of those features. I know because I've been told. Your argumentation is hilarious: Because YOU don't use certain features, then they can be removed.

Let's try to figure out what causes the hanging instead. Before making the album, keep the system console window open, then hit the "Dump threads" button if the UI feels frozen for more than 10 sec and pass me the generated file.
AndreWolff

Posted: 05-Oct-2019 12:20   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Attachment thread-dump.txt (36.4 KB)
davidekholm wrote:
Many users appreciate some of those features. I know because I've been told. Your argumentation is hilarious: Because YOU don't use certain features, then they can be removed.
I think I have the right to give my opinion and I don't think I am the only one who does not use these features.

All these features do not improve the end product, the web albums.
The latest addition to improve web albums is more then a year old: the theme image window and that feature can still be improved!
Let's try to figure out what causes the hanging instead. Before making the album, keep the system console window open, then hit the "Dump threads" button if the UI feels frozen for more than 10 sec and pass me the generated file.
As I said, the problem is not reproducible, but I did hit the "Dump threads" button and the attached file was made even before I clicked the Make button.
MarkusD

Posted: 05-Oct-2019 14:14   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

AndreWolff wrote:
The newest jAlbum version 19 hangs on my latest Windows 10 system sometimes after a Make, see attached screen-shot. I have to use the Windows Task Manager to stop the jAlbum program. If I next open the project again in jAlbum I can Make the program without problems.

I can't reproduce this problem yet, but I think jAlbum is becoming too large and too complicated.

I think it is time to make a also a jAlbum light version where the next features which I never use are removed:

No, jAlbum Team, please don't put any effort in making a light version of jAlbum!

André, do you use nearly all functions in all of your software (Word, Excel, FireFox, Lightroom, PhotoShop, Thunderbird...? I doubt it. It's the nature of software that from 100% functions most users use only a fraction of it. I'm just thinking of if I have any software on my PC which comes in different „flavours“ (full set of functions vs. light version). I can only think of my development software Delphi RAD Studio which still comes in three different flavours, that makes sense to me, because the bandwidth of functions is huge and the price range is way above a jAlbum license (starting from ~3,000 EUR up to 7,200 EUR). Cutting jAlbum in a „Professional“, „Enterprise“ or a „Architect“ version, really? ;-)

Just my 2 cents.
jGromit

Posted: 05-Oct-2019 14:42   in response to: MarkusD in response to: MarkusD

MarkusD wrote:
No, jAlbum Team, please don't put any effort in making a light version of jAlbum!

No reason for concern. Some suggestions are so bad, they just go straight into the dumper.
davidekholm

Posted: 05-Oct-2019 19:15   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

André, Only click that "Dump threads" button IF the UI is hanging, otherwise it will just show me a correctly working jAlbum (sigh)
RobM

Posted: 05-Oct-2019 22:11   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Surely the answer is just to revert to a simpler version of jAlbum that does just what André wants. It would save both of you the time and effort of hunting down a problem that might well be specific to Andre’s OS/hardware.
jGromit

Posted: 05-Oct-2019 22:16   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

I was thinking jAlbum 10, or maybe 11.
AndreWolff

Posted: 06-Oct-2019 10:20   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Attachment thread-dump-1.txt (33.4 KB)
davidekholm wrote:
André, Only click that "Dump threads" button IF the UI is hanging, otherwise it will just show me a correctly working jAlbum (sigh)
Well David, if the UI is hanging, the "Dump threads" button if frozen as well, so in that case the file can't be made. So I made the enclosed file again after I closed jAlbum via the task manager and opened jAlbum again.
After I opened jAlbum again I noticed that a res folder was made in the output directory with only one file. So jAlbum hangs while filling the res folder.

Edited by: AndreWolff on 06-Oct-2019 11:32
jGromit

Posted: 06-Oct-2019 13:44   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

Does jAlbum 19 ever hang when making a test album with Minimal? Or with Tiger?
RobM

Posted: 06-Oct-2019 17:04   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
And does 19 not hang if whatever was added, to need a make since 18.n, is removed from the project?
AndreWolff

Posted: 06-Oct-2019 17:24   in response to: jGromit in response to: jGromit

jGromit wrote:
Yes it hangs also with both of these skins, see screenshots. After a hang with Tiger I see also a res folder with just one file, see 3th screenshot.
jGromit

Posted: 06-Oct-2019 17:35   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

And here we go again, having to lead you, step by step, through the process of debugging a problem. By now, you really should know how to do this yourself.

Step one: start with a new, empty album project, and add a few images. DO NOT USE A TEST PROJECT THAT'S LOADED WITH LEFTOVER STUFF FROM PRIOR EXPERIMENTS.

Step two: if that still hangs using Minimal, do a complete, clean reinstall of jAlbum.

Step two, alternate: if that doesn't hang with Minimal, then ask yourself what's different about the project that hangs. Does the project have its own res folder, perhaps with something odd in it?

Why do we have to go through this with you over and over and over and over and over and over.....?
AndreWolff

Posted: 06-Oct-2019 17:49   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

I see the same hangs with Pluto and Saturn.

And I think it is now reproducible:

If another skin is used, the first Make hangs and after I stop jAlbum and try the same Make again, it is OK. And again while it hangs, it was copying files to the res folder.
jGromit

Posted: 07-Oct-2019 02:14   in response to: AndreWolff in response to: AndreWolff

No one can debug a screenshot. Post back when you can provide a zipped-up project that exhibits the failure. Until you can do that, this is going absolutely nowhere.
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums