This question is not answered. Helpful answers available: 2. Correct answers available: 1.

Permlink Replies: 36 - Pages: 3 [ Previous | 1 2 3 ] - Last Post: 10-Oct-2019 19:43 Last Post By: PeterGibb Threads: [ Previous | Next ]
RobM

Re: Opening an album project - Target directory setting
Posted: 08-Oct-2019 16:25   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Click to reply to this thread Reply
davidekholm wrote:
Rob, perhaps the docs should comment that one can type several words. jAlbum will then only display things that matches all words (in any order)
Added ‘You can search using multiple partial words, for example pro sam or sam pro will limit the search making it easier to find the project Sample Portfolio.’
davidekholm

Posted: 08-Oct-2019 16:45   in response to: RobM in response to: RobM

Great!
PeterGibb

Posted: 09-Oct-2019 21:21   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

I know things move forward and its all got to have some sort of control
to keep it all sensible.

Since using the 'search' option to open my files, which I find a brilliant way to do
things, I wondered if I might ask if maybe a 'preferences' option might be considered...,
where users could specify how they want to open their files, thereby enabling the 'File' > 'Open Album Project' option to open the search box rather than the standard album directory view idea.

Just a thought, as most of the things I quite like aren't normal, no problems if its not
something that might be considered.

Regards, Peter
davidekholm

Posted: 09-Oct-2019 21:47   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

Even if it's both possible and fast to open projects via the search bar I think many users would be confused to see the search bar open when selecting File->Open album project. That kind of operation is expected to generate the classic file chooser for the vast majority of users. Don't you think that you will find that the shortcut CTRL+Space to be a natural action as soon as you've typed it a couple of times?
PeterGibb

Posted: 09-Oct-2019 22:15   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

Yes, I would, am quite happy using the CTRL + Space, I think I just like the entire
theme of it, I was confused too at first but use it all the time now.

Others will prefer the classic file chooser and thats quite understandable, I hadn't thought of that one.

I hope you dont mind some of these daft questions.

I have been astonished at whats available using the search option, it literally goes everywhere within the jAlbum structure and I have found it a good way of moving about inside the program options.
davidekholm

Posted: 09-Oct-2019 23:32   in response to: PeterGibb in response to: PeterGibb

I'm naturally happy about your reflections. It makes me think you know :-)
Yes, I'm in love with jAlbum's search too, especially when trying out a new skin where I probably don't know my way around all the settings. Now it's far faster to locate the thing I need to change. First we "Googled" the Internet, then we "Googled" our computers (Apple's Spotlight) and now we "Google" jAlbum too :-). It's just a faster way to locate stuff. Search should be in all programs really.
PeterGibb

Posted: 10-Oct-2019 19:43   in response to: davidekholm in response to: davidekholm

It certainly should !

If users are comfortable with the traditional style of opening files then thats
great, but if this new approach is taking hold with phones and the like elsewhere
then maybe the preferences option to use either one or the other may be useful
to an ever growing number of users who are seeing and using it in the devices they have now.

It is something to consider I think, after all the choice could then be set and no one will
or should be upset

My phone cost £7.99 and does just what I like, it doesnt do the internet and is just used to speak to people! Am happy with that.

Anyway, the file opening ability of the new search window is a great addition however far it eventually goes...

Many Thanks

Peter
Legend
Forum admins
Helpful Answer
Correct Answer

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in all forums